Massively Multiplayer

HAL

No, I am not talking about just multiplayer (I know that has been discussed many times before in other threads). I am not even talking about Combat Mission as it is, but instead a completely new project similar to EverQuest or Ultima Online using the Combat Mission engine as the core of the game. Imagine if you will logging onto a server where a persistent war has been raging for over 100 days with a couple thousands people participating. The war would be broken down into a series of small battles with a server hosting only a part of the total war. The entire war would actually be spread out across a server complex (ala Ultima Online). Using the Combat Mission engine with its ingenious turn system as the core of the game would go a long way in minimizing the latency problems found in a lot of the current Massively Multiplayer games.

I know it would take some clever designing to work out all the issues out and make the persistent world work, but it could be done (hint I would love to design it, or at least be part of it smile.gif.

What do you all think?

Guest PeterNZ

I do believe there is something like this already being planned, altough not at the same detail as CM.

Hope noone minds me posting the link, it won't be out for months anyway

Playnet Inc

As for massively multiplayer, brave souls could run large campaigns the same way people do with tabletop miniature games (my experience is mainly from the Games Workshop line).. someone makes a master map and two generals move stuff around and then people fight little battles that affect the grand campaign.

Of course, none of this needs to have BTS's inflence/time/money invested, just some smack-happy players with too much time on their hands.

PeterNZ

Yeah, I play EQ now, but when Sovereign comes out I'll probably diconnect my account! At least for awhile...

wink.gif

PS. I know someone who works a Verant and She's told me the Sovereign will be an interesting development but there are a lot of things to work out in it.

------------------

Sgt. Rock Says " War is Hell, but games are fun "