Light AT guns in buildings?

I tried a search for this and couldn't find anything but I apologize if I missed it. Can light guns such as a 6pdr/57mm etc be placed in a house? Will heavy tanks have the ability to ram buildings?

These questions struck me as I was re-reading 'Caen: Anvil of Victory' by Alex McKee:

'The Germans rolled into Villers-Bocage, but the British did not retreat. Small parties of infantry, with Piats, and supported by 6-pounder anti-tank guns, began to stalk the Tigers. One 6-pounder was run into position inside a house; a Tiger rammed the wall, and the house fell down. Another Tiger took cover inside a shop and was fired at by a Cromwell lurking round the corner of a sidestreet...'

Cheers,

Mike

PS, just on the search facility; sometimes the links under the 'threads' column appear blanked out. Does this mean the post is not available?

MikeO,

The 6 pounder was definitely run into a ruined house.. There simply would be no way to get the 6 pounder in through a door etc so the house must have had a big gaping hole in it to let a 6 pounder in.

Such a house would be depicted by "rubble" in CM.

Don't know about the search question sorry.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

Mike, the scenario designer can allow you to put tanks and weapons into rubble during Setup, but this is generally not something that can be done during the game's timeframe. The reason is that it is VERY dificult and time consuming to do.

Don't know about the BBS either, but I noticed the same thing once. Chances are that it is a bug in the BBS software. I've read that the Search feature isn't as robust as it should be.

Steve

As a side issue, General Chuikov, the commander of Soviet forces in Stalingrad, mentions in his book one occasion where the Russians manhandled a _122mm howitzer_ into a building for close range fire support. I'd guess that the German defenders were quite surprised when the gun started firing at their fortified building at a range of 100 meters. IIRC, the third shot collapsed the building and the Soviet infantry had only to mop up the remains.

I don't remember what kind of building was used as the gun position but given that the event occurred quite late in the battle it was probably mostly in ruins. Anyway, I've seen a couple of such howitzers and they are quite _big_. It must have been one hell of an assignment to transport the thing over the ruins of the city using only muscles.

-Tommi

Richard,

Worse yet, the wife comming home at least once and week and deciding it would look better "over there". smile.gif

Tim 'This space for rent' Orosz