Nembo Parachute Division

Can anyone give me a history on the Italian Nembo Parachute Division? What I gathered was that it was stationed in Sardinia during the Sicilian Campaign, then transfered to Italy prior the the Italian Campaign. How much of the Division remained loyal to the Fascist cause after Italian surrender of Sept. 1943? What battles did they fight in? OOB? TOE?

Etc.

DavidI

Originally posted by David I:

Can anyone give me a history on the Italian Nembo Parachute Division? What I gathered was that it was stationed in Sardinia during the Sicilian Campaign, then transfered to Italy prior the the Italian Campaign. How much of the Division remained loyal to the Fascist cause after Italian surrender of Sept. 1943? What battles did they fight in? OOB? TOE?

Etc.

DavidI

Have some brief facts on Nembo. All from German sources tho, very brief (basically OOBs and brief notes). Tessin. There will probably be more elucidating italian such.

Raised october 1942 using cadre from the Folgore division, consisting of para regiments 183-5. Italian trained and equipped, no German "mission" at the "Nembo" paraschool. Anti partisan duty under German command in what was Yugoslavia during the first half of 1943.

Then they briefly disappear entirely from German sources.

Nembo appears again in Sicily, but only 185. Fought under German command, alongside German troops, arriving alongside the German paras (at least in the German lists). It remains under German command until the armistice, being part of the troops opposing the allied (Canadian mostly, as it was) advance.

No idea where 183-4 were at this time but your note on Sardinia will probably close that case.

185 disappears again from the OOB as of the Armistice, never to reappear, thus reasonably dissolved as such.

Units formed in the RSI included (in German, dunno correct Italian names) "Ital.Fallschirmjäger-Rgt" and a "Fallschirmjäger-Bataillon d'Abundo". Both listed under German combat commands, so no "security" or rear troops but line combat troops. The former of these was formed primarily from Folgore and Nembo personnel, plus some paramarines - my guess being most Nembo people will have been from 185 then, especially if the others were on Sardinia still. I have no breakdown on personnelldonor units on that latter battallion there.

The regiment fought under German command in Italy until VE day, alongside German paras, for a while appear to be semi-attached to FJD 4 (alongside a Fsch.Jg.-Lehr battallion). Rome, Anzio, the various lines, the works.

Well, like I said just short notes. We have some italians here haven't we? I'm sure htey will find more on the Italian para official hompages and so on.

Cheerio

Dandelion

Here is a website with some good info on Italian paratroopers, including Nembo - http://members.tripod.com/~nembo/nembopage.html

Interestingly, the 185th Para Regiment, which was attached to the Germans in Sicily during the Armistice, joined the Germans to continue fighting the Allies, they were respected by the Germans for their tenatious fighting on the Anzio front. The 183rd and 184th Regiments stationed on Sardinia, however, chose to join the Allies, and later fought against the Germans, liberating several cities in the process.