'Command' game rules

In an attempt to get my friend to play Combat Mission, I decided to devise some rules. As he isn't too good at the technicalities of CM (i.e. keeping your units in good cover tongue.gif ), I proposed a team game - I set up a few hotseat battles, and play as both sides, but whilst on one side I can do what I like, on the other I must give him written reports with a few pictures every time something significant happens, and wait for his orders before continuing.

I thought it would be interesting to share these rules with you. They are designed to reveal what a major would know about the battle before him (not exactly modelled on history, sorry). There are various rules for 'autonomous' orders and what information about the battle you may disclose.

General:

One player takes the role of major, while the other takes the role of commander. The major is in direct control of the scenario - he gives direct orders to the troops and plays as if he was playing normally - however, every time something happens that the major deems significant, the major must make a report (at the end of the turn in question) and send it to the commander, with accompanying pictures (discussed later). The commander then acknowledges the report, and can give or take back (can't think of the right word) orders as he sees fit. The major may not give an order to his troops without recieving it from his commander, except in a few special circumstances.

Reports:

Reports may be as long as you want them to be, but may only include a maximum of 3 pictures, none of which can be taken from anything but view level 1 with full tree and foliage settings. Zooming in is allowed up to 8x, which simulates the use of binoculars. Pictures may only be taken from a HQ unit that is not panicked or worse. If the HQ unit that represents the major is killed or panicked, the reports are made from the perspective of the next ranking officer (usually a captain). If there is more than one officer that qualifies, the choice must be un-panicked. If there are no un-panicked officers, reports cease until an officer rallies. If all eligible officers are dead, the commander must be informed, and will recieve no more reports, but the major can only give orders that represent the lowest of his tactical abilities - i.e. he has to 'play at half-strength'.

Autonomous Orders:

Traffic jams and units out of cover may be resolved by the major without any prompting from the commander. Traffic jams must result in all vehicles reaching the initial destination by roughly the same route, and units out of cover may be ordered to advance, move or run to the nearest available cover, to represent common sense.

What do you think? Any suggestions? My friend and I are just about to start the first game using the rules, a modded Vietnam operation.

[ December 12, 2004, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: mrpwase ]