Newbie scenario design question

cbb

I am attempting to design a scenario to be played with the human player as the Germans and the AI as the Russians. I would like the AI-Russians to begin the scenario with an artillery bombardment. How do I get them to do it? I've given the Russians spotters (82mm and 76mm) but through fifteen turns of play, I have yet to see any Russian artillery fire. I really need them to fire sooner (and, if possible, lob some smoke rounds as well)...

Thanks.

Not sure that you can force them to do it but if they have a line of sight to enemy troops on turn 1 they probably will - however having troops fire on the players set-up area on turn 1 is considered a design no-no.

When I played competitive WW2 miniature games you new where the set-up line was exactly and therefore had a pretty good idea where his troops would be. Some players bought the maximum amount of artillery possible and bombarded the start line on turn 0 – before he moved – which was possible under this system. If you killed the HQ unit always a small infantry unit – the whole army had a good chance of routing off table! It made for boring tank battles!

Think about your scenario from both ends if human are playing both – you can specify in your brief that it is only suitable for play by one side against the computer if you wish.