$25 expansion

I have enjoyed the games too. If there is a bug the developer (Hubert) has always fixed them quickly and without charge. They have given us free major upgrades - See the 1939 Storm Over Europe scenario in the Strategic Command Great War game. New scenarios, bug fixes, quality product, and superior tech support aren't cheap.

So having said that I will willingly pay the $25.00 for the major remake, new units, and four new scenarios and think it is a bargain. I'll spend at least a couple of hundred hours with the new scenarios, so I'm down to pennies per hour for quality entertainment.

Hubert, Moon, test team, you have my heartfelt thanks. Keep up the good work!

How could any self respecting SCer not go for this. I'm assuming that the Brute Force campaign is Big Al's origination and with help from Hubert, Bill and the betas, this scenario alone is worth $25, the map is awesome, perfect size without being overwhelming. Heck...the "what ifs" are icing on the cake, bonus scenarios, and the middle campaigns make for great, challenging, quick contests that emphasize combat and timely completions.

"SC.....gotta luv it!":)

Happy to pay c£15 for the additional features and scenarios assuming that it will work with my UK (Excalibur Publishing) retail edition.

Same question : this expension will be compatible with Excalibur Publishing version or not ?

I like the recon capability very much. Currently spotting is too automatic a process (with the variables of weather and intelligence). This new feature lets you direct a search, presumably outside the automatic spotting radius. It has lots of uses - for example sometimes you know where an enemy unit is (by logic or a previous rounds action) but it still comes as a nasty surprise when you bump into it. Now you can reveal it. Will help naval action a lot.

Garrisons, more major slots and the zoomable interface also sell it for me. GC is the best so far and this increases the playability but not the complexity (I want turns I can play then send off between breakfast and leaving for work, not ones that take hours).

The additional campaigns do not sell this IMHO but the rest does quite nicely.

Considering the many hours of enjoyment I've received from the SC franchise, the $25 seems to be just right. Especially considering this upgrade will include the improvements made in the Great War game (my favorite is the faster AI), it's a good return for the money. Thanks Hubert, et. al. for continuing to support and expand this great program!

Yes it will be compatible with the Excalibur published version.

Thank-you Hubert, i forwaded the informations about this expansion to leqg.org (the HQ, in english) , one of the main french websites about wargames and strategy games.

Anybody want to comment on the features of artillery in the Global Gold(SCGGC) campaigns, strategy, tactics, upgrades, etc.? I'm assuming that now if you use the ports and urban anti-air upgrade with an occupying unit that has a tech AA upgrade you can have an effective anti-air umbrella for all types of air attacks?

Alright, I'm tired of clicking around, where do I buy? Is it out now?

The Legend will have some time come Thanksgiving when we celebrate making peace with the Indians. And even more time the week after the celebration of Christ b-day & watching 100+ football games.

I'm confident the expansion will kick ass (kind of like myself),

-Legend

I am a BF game addict. But I can't do this one. The speed increase should be included in a patch. I have every game in this series up to now. All at full price, that's a lot of dough. Dare I feel entitled to not have to wait forever for AI turns to process?

Thanks gentlemen and I think you'll like all the changes and improvements... the AI alone is up to 5X faster as well as much improved with many reworked logic routines added too.

Honestly, it plays super fast now by comparison to the previous releases :)

This might be a dumb question, so bear with me :D but I have only played SCWW1. Do you mean that the AI in GlobConf Gold works that much faster than the AI in previous releases including SCWW1? If so, will these improvements be added to SCWW1 some day? Not meaning to jump ahead, just curious of how fast the AI is.

I am a BF game addict. But I can't do this one. The speed increase should be included in a patch. I have every game in this series up to now. All at full price, that's a lot of dough. Dare I feel entitled to not have to wait forever for AI turns to process?

Thanks for your support and unfortunately the AI speed improvements were not as simple as just flipping a switch, i.e. there were many months of tests and adjustments involved in identifying all the bottlenecks and as a result quite a few significant changes to the code.

Essentially while on the surface things may look similar it was quite an overhaul of the entire game engine including all the other options such as the move to 8 majors and the new interface panes for the game play area as well as other in game options that help to speed up the game such as setting the various speeds for AI animation playback and so on.

Just updating the older regular Global campaigns to this new game engine format is a time consuming and painstaking process that I've spent the better part of the last two weeks implementing a new utility, which will also be included in the GOLD release, to automate this task and take about 99% of the work out of your hands as what could take weeks to do by hand can now be done in seconds. This will be a very handy tool for modders and anyone else that has tinkered a bit with Global and would like to import their favourite customized campaigns to GOLD.

This might be a dumb question, so bear with me :D but I have only played SCWW1. Do you mean that the AI in GlobConf Gold works that much faster than the AI in previous releases including SCWW1? If so, will these improvements be added to SCWW1 some day? Not meaning to jump ahead, just curious of how fast the AI is.

Good question and it is a bit tricky to answer as the AI engine for WWI will essentially be the same one that is being released for Global GOLD so while the AI may not appear to be incredibly fast for WWI it will be for Global GOLD.

How is this possible? Well the simple answer is that WWI would have been incredibly slow had we not updated the AI engine to handle the very large maps that WWI uses, but when going to the smaller maps of Global or the even smaller maps of previous SC releases the AI is actually lightning fast in comparison.

To make sense of all of this, the WWI map is 384x102 which is 39168 tiles for the AI to consider.

The Global map is 256x64 which is 16384 tiles, or in other words less than half the number of tiles for the AI to worry about when performing the various calculations in game, especially distance pathfinding which can eat up a lot of thinking time.

Try it out for yourself with the WWI game by running an AI vs AI test for one of the smaller campaigns with the game speed fully optimized in the OPTIONS dialog, i.e. enable quick logic as well as and disable all messages and AI animation.

You'll find that over the course of 30 AI vs AI turns or so for let's say the Galipolli campaign, the game will be over in under 3 minutes.

To enable AI vs AI simply press F3 before you select 'New Game'.