Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

My Computer Reboots When Trying to Play

Hello Folks,

this is my very first post. I'm quite excited about this game from all of the reviews that I've read.

This is my problem. I decided to play the tutorial first (seemed logical). The game loads and I click on a unit to move it. I click where it's supposed to go and nothing happens. For about 6 or 7 seconds the sounds continue to play but the there aren't any more camera movements or anything. And the chosen unit doesn't move. Then my computer reboots!

My system:

PIII 600

Asus P3V4X Motherboard

384 MB PC-133 RAM

20 Gig HD

Windows XP

Diamond Viper II 32MB video card

I'll tell you, I've really pulled out the last few strands of hair that I have left. I can't find any similar problem in this forum. Can anyone help me?

:confused:

Thank you very much.

Global Citizen

Thank

Did you try out the Demo before you purchased CMBO ? If so, did the same thing happen or is this the very first time you've attempted to play CMBO on this computer ? When you give the order to 'Move' or 'Hunt' do you get the 'line' to indicate where to move the unit ? Do you ever see the command (the 'line') terminate in the actual position that you want to move to (with a 'block' shape at the end of the 'line') ? Do your problems happen as soon as you hit the Go button on screen or do they happen when you are actually attempting to give orders to the units (before hitting the Go button) ?

Do you have any other programs running in the background when you have CMBO loaded up ? What sound card do you have ? Was your XP a clean install or an upgrade over an earlier version of Windows ? Do you know if your video card and sound card are sharing an IRQ or if your system is using ACPI. To find out if you are go to the Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > System control panel > Hardware tab > Device Manager button > double-click on the 'Computer' icon and it it will tell you that it is either a 'Standard PC' or ACPI (the full name). ACPI will share all PCI device with one IRQ (which sometimes doesn't work very well with some devices - and Creative SoundBlaster Live's are one of them that may not always work).

I actually have this motherboard and video card. You just need to tell me what sound card you're using and if you've upgraded from another OS or not when you installed XP. I will see if I can dupliacte the problem.

Shrullenhaft,

thank you for replying to my post.

I did not try the demo. Maybe that was a mistake, but I thought my system should have been able to handle this game.

When I gave the order to "Move" I *did* see the line to indicate where the unit should go. I *did* see the position make a square where the unit should have stopped at.

The first time it happened I had hit the Go Button. Then the second and third times I didn't touch it. I can't really tell you for sure if the problem is centered around that. (Sorry)

I have the following programs running: Internet Explorer (I was always online when attempting to play, but was always trying single player), and Norton Anti-Virus 2002. That is all.

My XP install was a clean reformat. I'm using XP Pro. In fact, Combat Mission is only the second game I've loaded onto my machine!

My sound card is Soundblaster Live! Value (WDM).

My system *is* using ACPI.

Like I said, my XP install was NOT an upgrade, but rather a full reformat.

I hope this helps you.

And THANK YOU for your assistance! I really appreciate it.

Global Citizen

I just setup the computer with XP Home. Apparently, despite S3's claims to the contrary, XP doesn't come with the S3/Diamond driver for video cards based on the Savage2000 (Savage 4 is the latest that XP has support for). So when I initially tried to run CM it was going to run in Software Mode.

The driver I installed was 9.21.01 (which is initially viewed as 5.12.1.0) for Windows 2000 (which is all that is available for XP). You can get this off of the Diamond site by downloading the Viper II Windows 2000 Driver. The graphic quality isn't great (mip mapping and other details are set to low quality defaults with no means of adjusting them with any control panels).

Transparency and smoke are there, but no fog table graphics with these drivers. There's shimmering in the graphics and the grass tiles are very low res. I haven't tried any S3 tweaker programs on these drivers under XP, though there may be some available. You can download some different drivers from JGC's Website. I don't know if these will offer anything better, but they may be worth a try.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]</p>

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately, I already have that particular driver. I really don't understand it. I've looked at that site by JGC and am somewhat wary of those particular drivers.

Out of curiosity, are you using Microsoft DirectX8.1? I'm only using 8.0.

I've begun to seriously consider throwing out my Diamond Viper II and purchase a GeForce 2 replacement.

Thank you for your help. You've been very generous.

Global Citizen

Uh... If you're using Win XP, then you have to be using DirectX 8.1 - it is part of the OS. You shouldn't be able to 'down-grade' to DirectX 8.0a; and yes, DirectX 8.1 is what I'm using.

I haven't experienced any lockups like you have. I'm using the P3V4X m/b, Intel P3-667, 256Mb RAM, Diamond Viper II, 3Com 3c905C (PCI slot 2) NIC and a SB PCI512 (PCI slot 4) sound card. I did a clean install to a 4Gb partition. The drivers for the sound card are from XP (it recognizes the card as a SB Live - same EMU10K chipset) and I updated the video driver to the latest Diamond Viper 2 release for Win2K. A few rounds of CM worked fine. I later updated to the VIA 4.37 drivers and all of the XP patches from Microsoft and CM continued to work. I've been using the default textures and sounds that come with the CD and running the display at 1024 x 768 @85Hz (for both the desktop and CM).

I have the video card's jumpers all set for AGP4X (J1-J3), the BIOS is set for AGP 4X, an AGP aperture of 128Mb and FastWrites is enabled (though probably not used with the Viper2/Savage 2000).

What other game do you have loaded and is it a DirectX game or OpenGL ?

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]</p>