New file at the Repository: Gegenangriff Auf Huegel 382 (2011-10-22)

This scenario is a battle of two equal forces. Each side has very similar objectives. The idea behind its creation was to have both sides playable against the AI and Head to Head. I believe I achieved my goal. The scene begins with an under strength US rifle company attempting to defend its gains from the previous day, Hill 382. The rest of the battalion is tasked with assisting Hill 382 and pushing deeper into enemy territory. The same goes for the German side. However, they want Hill 382 back.Have fun,ThePhantom

More...

• 3 months later...

Playing this PBEM currently. Nice map, and nice battle :)

The immobilised-trucks-as-ammo-caches are a good idea ... except that immobilised trucks cannot be mounted, so the ammo in them cannot be acquired. The trucks just sit there uselessly.

You might want to consider just making the trucks mobile. Or you could manually place them on prohibited terrain (eg. place them on a particular tile in the 3D editor, then go back to the 2D map editor and swap that tile for swamp or heavy forest ... just make sure that infantry can move on whichever tile you chose ;) ). The downside of the is that it /might/ give away the location of the ammo cache to the opposing player, depending on how you integrate that particular tile with the rest of the map.

Cheers

Jon

Glad you like that one Jon.

I added the supply area as a new objective for both sides. I figured everyone would enjoy shooting up a few supply trucks.

Yes, the immobilized truck is unfortunately useless. It’s really the unit that represents the forward ammo staging area (knocked out it’s worth points). The other truck is mobile. Each side has one immobilized and one working truck. Both sides can use their working vehicle for supply and escape to save points for the enemy victory condition.

One supply truck is limited..... The immobilized truck needs to be used. Blocking terrain with multiple deployment zone player choices is a great idea. I’ve added it to my new campaign 314th to Fort Du Roule.

Thanks Jon,

Chris

• 1 year later...

Gegenangriff Auf Huegel 382

CM BfN Base Game scenario

submitted 24-Oct-2011

file author: Chris McCain (Phantom)

- Morning on 18 June 1944

- Duration = 2 hours

- US infantry with tank limited artillery support vs. German infantry with tank and limited artillery support.

- Americans defend ground seized the previous day in order to launch a subsequent assault while Germans counter-attack per Wehmacht SOP.

Gameplay report - played once as USA and once as GER on WARRIOR setting.

Gameplay version. CMBN/CW v1.11

This is a very good intermediate level scenario, well suited for players who are ready to graduate from newbie to novice. The map provides plenty of room to manuever a battalion's worth of units on each side; an American task force and a German kampfgruppe.

The briefing and situation maps for both sides are succinct and complete. The designer's notes are focused and helpful. Gamers can play either side against an effective enough AI.

NOTE. I am grateful for the hard work which a serious gamer put into creating this scenario for the rest of us to play. It takes a lot of time and effort. This scenario is a credit to its designer. Thank you, Chris.

========================================================================

American and German forces fight for the high ground near La Medeleine, June 18th, 1944. This scenario is a hypothetical battle of two equal battle groups. Each side has very similar objectives. The idea behind its creation was to have both sides playable against the AI and Head to Head. I believe the designer achieved his goal. The scene begins with an under strength US rifle company attempting to defend its gains from the previous day, namely possession of Hill 382. The rest of the American battalion is tasked with assisting Hill 382 and pushing deeper into enemy territory. On the German side, a depleted company stands fast in preparation for a reinforcing kampfgruppe to take Hill 382 back from the Ami's.

1) Deployment & Initial moves:

This is a medium sized battle. Both sides start with rested infantry companies in their initial deployment zones. The US player commands a recently blooded company re-stocked and ready to proceed. The USA begins immediately with a second unseasoned company advancing forward and also brings to bear two seperate tank platoons, arriving later in staggered sequence to support the infantry missions. The German player commands multiple hardened but bloodied infantry platoons with machine guns and mortar sections who will soon be reinforced by seasoned panzers and panzer grenadiers to push the Americans back.

This scenario provides more than enough time for each side to perform their missions. As a sizeable battle, it will take several hours for solitary play.

#####################

<<< SPOILERS FOLLOW >>>

#####################

This is a long playing scenario. Smoke is your friend as is well planned artillery. "Control" of the center does NOT mean occupying the center with brave and fearsome tanks! Each side winds up defending on one flank while and attacking on the other. You really have to choose how to reinforce success while preventing collapse. The "fun" lesson for me was discovering the myth verses the reality of German armor. I learned how evenly matched Mark IV's are against Shermans and one does not go sticking Panzer IV snouts out unawares regardless of how cool they look!

##################

<<< SPOILERS END >>>

##################

Assessment: This scenario provides equal opportunities for both Americans and Germans to screw the pooch or strike hard and true. It is an excellent "battalion/kampfgruppe" CMx2 game for a practiced beginner to graduate into the next higher (intermediate) level of solitaire play. The learning curve for me was understanding the difference between "controlling" and "occupying" key areas of the battlefield. Control of the center is paramount for each side to win. Occupying the center bogs you down and and diminishes your momentum to the point of blunting the sharp edge of your forces. Control is established much more by dominating with firepower. The physical presence of your troops needs to be focused on mission objectives. Success comes from skilled recon, quick movements to contact, dominant fires, and patient maneuvering.

USA player has to hold the left until you can dominate the right. GER player needs to stabilize his right and push hard on the left. Both sides have effective but limited amounts of artillery fires; plan them well.

Rate "5" for map design.

Rate "5" for AI deployment of forces.

Rate "5/4" for USA initial play / replay against AI.

Rate "5/4" for GER initial play / replay against AI.

Recommendation: For those players who use the uniform mods, play this scenario giving the USA the 79th Infantry and 2nd Armored uniforms. For those who use Mord & DC's unit portrait mod, I recommend the 79th Infantry & 2nd Armored portraits for the USA and the 709th ID & 21st Panzer portraits for the Germans.

For H2H play, this scenario strikes me as a good intermediate level match, evenly balanced for the prudent, unforgiving to the rash.

Good luck and good gaming!

• 3 years later...
On 18 February 2012 at 4:37 PM, ThePhantom said:

Glad you like that one Jon.

I added the supply area as a new objective for both sides. I figured everyone would enjoy shooting up a few supply trucks.

Yes, the immobilized truck is unfortunately useless. It’s really the unit that represents the forward ammo staging area (knocked out it’s worth points). The other truck is mobile. Each side has one immobilized and one working truck. Both sides can use their working vehicle for supply and escape to save points for the enemy victory condition.

One supply truck is limited..... The immobilized truck needs to be used. Blocking terrain with multiple deployment zone player choices is a great idea. I’ve added it to my new campaign 314th to Fort Du Roule.

Thanks Jon,

Chris

Hey Chris!

Where can I find you Fort du Roule map? I'm a veteran Close Combat player and that was probably one of my favorite maps in the entire game, so a CM version would be awesome!

Look forward to trying it out,

Claza