crazy retreat, 1939

Just saw a crazy retreat. Defending unit starting at "A" retreated to the circled location, into the face of the enemy and away from the safety of both the fortress and water barrier.

I am not aware of a large-scale "retreat" of this nature, ever, in real life. It would be interesting to code limitations in retreats, insuring that they are in fact retreats and not death marches. This case had a happy ending as the AI had no more attacks left, but it still makes no sense.

Not really a bug, just an unintended consequence of the retreat dynamics.

strategicCommandCrazyRetreat101811.png

I would like to see an option added to the individual unit drop down where you can click (check off) "No Retreat." (Kind of like the "sleep" option.) This way if you have a unit that you just don't want to retreat for any reason ("Stand & Die" order) you have the option.

I don't disagree with you. Advancing towards the enemy is not a retreat, that is unless you are an 0311.

I think there should be more retreats, I like to concept but it doesn't seem to happen often enough. A unit shouldn't stand in place and be destroyed unless there is not a retreat route. I don't understand how the system determines when a unit will retreat so I'm not sure what to suggest to fix it. The only time I can see a unit "having" to stand in place (when a retreat route is available) would be if the attacking unit has greater mobility. This I think would represent the futility of trying run away from wheeled or mechanized units on foot or horseback.

This is a very good idea. A switch for "not one step back!" where a unit will stand just like in the current game unless its morale gets really low and it faces destruction (more often than currently, though), and a "normal" mode where units retreat in face of superior odds.