"Troop State" guide for dummies needed.

OK. I'm a dummy. Can someone help me out understanding troop state. Simply.

I have one unit showing "Panic" in the "morale" attribute indicator, and they are running away out of my control.

I have another unit showing "Broken" there (which is worse, right?) and they are doing what I am telling them.

Neither has more than one thin line of red in the supression indicator.

GaJ

OK. I'm a dummy. Can someone help me out understanding troop state. Simply.

I have one unit showing "Panic" in the "morale" attribute indicator, and they are running away out of my control.

I have another unit showing "Broken" there (which is worse, right?) and they are doing what I am telling them.

Panicked troops are that, panicked. They're supposed to be seeking for cover and running away from the enemy. Usually this ends up with most of them being mowed down in the process.

CO's try to rally panicked troops. If the CO is dead, or too far away, or he's himself running away, it can happen that the panicked units end up exitting the battlefield altogether or surrender.

Besides failure, the rally check can have two other possible outcomes. Both imply that the panicked units recovers its cohesion and will to fight. One outcome is "Broken", which means that if it's more prone to panic again, and in general, will not operate as effectively as before (decreased rate of fire, individual men in the unit going on their own, inreased chances for surrendering, etc.). The second outcome is "Rattled", which means that the unit retains some effectivity, but substantially less than originally.

Neither has more than one thin line of red in the supression indicator.

Well, the question is what happened to them before getting into that state. The suppresion indicator is highly variable.

"Panic" can also be rallied from even without the intervention of COs.

I'm not convinced that Rattled troops are particularly less effective per se. Closer to Panicing/being Shaken, yes, but they do seem to put out the same volume of fire that Nervous/Cautious/OK troops do, and take as much suppressing.

The suppression meter will clear from Pinned in 30s of quiet, so it's not really a good indicator of why a unit is out of control, and a Paniced Pinned unit is no worse (for the duration of the Pin) than a Rattled Pinned one: neither will be firing or going anywhere :)

In a lot of ways, Broken is still worse than Panic. While Paniced troops are out of your control (and liable to headless-chicken into enemy fire lanes), there's at least a chance that if they're left alone while Paniced and the rest of their unit isn't getting chopped to dogmeat by shrapnel that they'll come back to Rattled. Broken isn't going to get any better, and may or may not be under your control at any given point. They'll lay down fire (after a while, if they don't feel too threatened - half the time they'll actually not be receiving orders), but the moment anyone shoots back, or something goes 'bang' nearby, they'll be hugging the dirt, and looking for a way out. Panic is, usually, temporary (admittedly, sometimes because it's converted to 'dead').

The suppresion indicator is highly variable.
I think the suppression indicator also only takes into consideration the amount of fire and the caliber. For instance, being fired on by a dozen rifles or one 75mm chucking tank would both peg the suppression meter, but being fired on by a single sharpshooter wouldn't. So, you could have your squad leader killed by a single bullet and have the rest of the squad panic, while the suppression meter probably wouldn't even register.