Observations and oddities

Some Oddities:

AMbLO.png

This section was here for at least 8 turns, awaiting artillery support. None would help this guy. There was another section behind this group and they were rendering aid to another buddy.

3jHIv.jpg

Once that section had rendered aid was done, I brought that section over to this group and they immediately started aid on this poor bloke that nobody in his section would help.

u9lDv.jpg

Then there is this guy. Not only would he not help his mate, enemy lines are to his rear and that was the direction they were going when hit; so why is he facing the direction he is? Another unit was following, that again, once arrived, rendered aid.

B7m4N.jpg

I described this before, just wanted to show it; top floor, north and west walls are blown out. The panther shown was several hundred meters to the east and lobbing he at the east top floor wall. There is an immobilized Pz4 to the south, who had been lobbing he at the south top floor wall. I was very surprised that there was no damage being displayed, until, when units got there and discovered that the opposite walls were blown out.

81Mdv.png

So, jeep has spare ammo. For infantry to get it; jeep drives up, turn1. Unit in jeep dismounts, turn2. Infantry mounts jeep, turn3. Infantry acquire ammo and dismounts, turn 4. Unit remounts jeep, turn 5.

(Yes, RT would go much faster; an added irritation.)

How about, when units occupy side by side tiles, the ‘acquire’ command would light, add units could share ammo.

The buddy aid issue you see is sometimes caused by a tile edge from what I have experienced. If you want to make the unit nearest/parent unit aid a causality... try using the "Face" command to another direction. You will see the active destination tiles light up, and I bet one of them will cover the un-helped unit.

Acquire does take a while in WEGO, so make teh most of it and plan ahead for where you will need it.

So, jeep has spare ammo. For infantry to get it; jeep drives up, turn1. Unit in jeep dismounts, turn2....

You can speed this up a little by giving the current passengers a waypoint next to the jeep's final, stopping waypoint. When the jeep stops (i.e. completes all its current waypoints; won't happen at any intermediate "Pause"s, ordered or otherwise), the current passengers will get out and go to their waypoint, hopefully having completed the dismount before the end of the minute.

How about, when units occupy side by side tiles, the ‘acquire’ command would light, add units could share ammo.

Interesting idea. Fine when there's only one vehicle adjacent. Would require a menu of vehicles to choose from first if there were several nearby, which could be tricky, since there's no requirement for vehicles to have unique names. Sub menus don't seem to be very popular with the UI designers.

"..current passengers" , except when the driver is part of the unit, then the only command that works is 'dismount' and one can't move them until after dismounting. unless i'm missing something?

"...only one vehicle...", i'm accually expanding that to any unit that could aquire.

"Sub menus don't seem to be very popular with the UI designers.". yea, i get the same feeling.

"..current passengers" , except when the driver is part of the unit, then the only command that works is 'dismount' and one can't move them until after dismounting. unless i'm missing something?

Yeah. That's an awkward little wrinkle, ain't it?

"...only one vehicle...", i'm accually expanding that to any unit that could aquire.

You could present an amalgamated list of everything that the collection of local vehicles could supply. Be necessary to determine which of the several sources of, say, rifle ammo the unit drew on.

Why is that?

How come you can drive for 15 seconds and have to wait 45 seconds until the next turn to give the dismount command.

I had two guys in a jeep drive down a road come to a stop and start to receive incoming fire and just take it until they were dead.

So there's no auto dismount under fire either like in CM1?

Why is that?

How come you can drive for 15 seconds and have to wait 45 seconds until the next turn to give the dismount command.

I had two guys in a jeep drive down a road come to a stop and start to receive incoming fire and just take it until they were dead.

My tankers seem to dismount under fire at the first chance they get :)

Why is that?

It's an engine limitation. To do, I would guess, with the implementation of RT control. "Dismount" or "Bail" means "Get out now". For WeGo "Now" is where the vehicle is at order giving time: the top of the minute. Those two commands are simply not linked to waypoints, presumably for some technical reason deep in the engine, because it's been that way since CMSF and really it continues to be, as you say, a bit of a disconnect.

Troops will bail if they feel they have to. They'll back out of danger, too, if they get the chance. Don't know why yours didn't. Could be they got Pinned before they could move out the vehicle, and died before getting unpinned.

Ah, I see.

Perhaps the two man team I loaded on to the jeep then became "the crew" and would not abandon the vehicle until it was knocked out. (the dedicated troops that they were).

A lesson learned to be more careful in sending jeeps into harms way.

Womble, sounds good the RT/WEGO theory.

Thanks for the replies!