1914:CtA - Elite Reinf. not working

1914: Call to Arms - Aug 1914

Elite Reinforcements does not appear to work. Infantry units are in supply (>5) and not adjacent to enemy units.

I suspect this is an error. If it is intended for this campaign, this kind of thing should really be noted somewhere - perhaps a page or two of info on the campaign.

Another example of this kind of things appears to be (at least implied in the manual) - that only CA/BB can be upgraded, while DD may *not* be upgraded...

-brett

Ok, after much fiddling, I came to understand that Elite Reinforcements ONLY allows a unit to be used to build a unit >10 at 1 step per turn. It *cannot* be used to actually replace losses... (Err - huh?)

Which seems quite strange...

I would submit that it should have 2 legitimate uses:

1) replace losses with (up to 10) with elites

2) over-strength, 1 step per turn (suggest no enemy contact only apply to this case)

Which, assuming I recall correctly, is how the original version of SC worked.

The unfortunate effect of the rule as it currently stands is that experienced units that take minimal losses, will drop to in-experienced, as soon as they replace their losses.

-brett

The unfortunate effect of the rule as it currently stands is that experienced units that take minimal losses, will drop to in-experienced, as soon as they replace their losses.

-brett

Uhm, well, sounds pretty normal and right in my ears. What else do you espect when you replace losses?

Experienced, or elite reinforcements could only come from another units.

But that is not possible in SC, even though i agree that this would be a nice feature- a force pool for green units, experienced units and elite units.

Jagged Alliance 2 had a similar concept: when you trained the militia you could shift experienced, elite and regular units between a town sector.

This way it was possible to replace lost elite fighters: by weaking other sectors, which got green units as a replacement.

Sorry, don't like it and find unrealistic.

If you have experienced troops available AT ALL, why can't I use them to reinforce a weakened unit (i.e., <10)?

In SC:ETO you could actually have experienced units. I liked how it worked, even if it represented an "infinite" pool of experienced replacements.

Part of the reason you pay extra for elites, presumably reflects their limited availability.

In a real sense, a unit that has 10% experienced veterans and 90% "green" troops is a *lot* more effective than a unit with 100% green troops. The game appears to model it as a linear dilution of effectiveness (i.e., replace 5/10 troops - lose 50% of experience).

Other mechanism could be easily created to model the fact that even a small cadre of experienced troops bring enormous benefit. Simple one is to carve out a portion of the experience base that is unaffected by the replacements:

Example:

New experience = 0.6 * old_exp + 0.4 * old_exp * (old_troops/total_troops_after_reinf)

In game terms, the inability to replace losses (vs. only over-strength) with experienced troops means that there is little point in the game system that allows for experience. Virtually every unit will be "0" or "1" at best. Only units that experience virtually uninterrupted luck (high enemy causalities AND low self causalities) will ever grow in experience.

If you wanted to have a more "realistic" system, you could have every country have a small generation pool/turn of elite reinforcements (e.g., Germany 8/turn) and then add in a fractional loss for each strength point lost in combat (e.g., 1 per 5). Then get rid of the increased cost, since you are handling the limited availability in a different way.

Sorry, but I just don't buy that my veteran troops are un-employable and unwanted until my army decides to over-strength some corps.

-brett

Sorry, don't like it and find unrealistic.

Sorry, but I just don't buy that my veteran troops are un-employable and unwanted until my army decides to over-strength some corps.

-brett

Combat strength in SC is a very peculiar thing. Combat strength is not the main element affecting a units lethality.

A veteran unit will be more lethal and suffer reduced losses even if it has a combat strength of 10. You do not need a higher combat strength to draw upon the benefits of higher experience.

The combat formulas for SC are quite peculiar. Losses are mainly the result of Combat Values, Entrenchment, Readiness, and Experience. Notice Combat Strength is not in the equation.

Combat Strength tells you how many losses a unit can take before being eliminated. Also, a higher combat strength will help a unit recover morale faster, and, this will indirectly help obtain a higher readiness level. But Combat Strength does not make a unit more lethal.

The combat formulas appear in page 35 of the SC2 Blitzkrieg manual. Experience will increase your opponent losses and reduce your own losses. But, of course, experience is one amongst several factors.

Now, this begs the question, why should any one bother use elite reinforcements? First, it protects your units veteran level. Second, it allows your unit to recover morale faster and to reach higher morale levels. Third, it becomes that much harder to destroy your unit.