Kursk Lives

ShiftZ

There's an old saying, the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Since the release of CMBN I've been knee deep in playing the hell out of that game. I love it. It's easy to set up quick battles, the scenerio editor works well and the campaigns that came packed in with the game eat up the hours. Graphicly the overall feel of the game is warm and crisp. (FYI It so happens that I purchased a new system that is a game monster destroyer so no matter what combat sim I play it stomps it into the dust.)

I'm also a die hard player of Steelbeasts Pro PE and at this time in simming history there is no other simulator available to the public the does what PRO PE does, not by a long shot.

So I got a little bored over the weekend and decided to load Kursk into this new rig (the last time I played Kursk I uninstalled it in a fit of rage due to lock ups). Much to my suprise It plays like a well oiled machine. The maps are gorgeous and the vistas blow CMBN's right off of the planet. The models are done much better and the particle effects, damage, smoke, fires, buildings etc are all done to a much higher level of realisim than CMBN. I can set up platoons and actually give each platoon formation orders, imagine that.

Sorry I ever thumbed my nose at Kursk 1C, outstanding job. Please tell me that someday you will return to Kursk to expanded it out to cover all of the eastern/western front.

Salute.

I have yet to try CM:BN (waiting for the price to drop a bit), but I agree that in ToW series tank models are absolutely marvellous, top-notch and beyond what I've ever experienced in true real time strategies (only if crew would be able to use those, so precisely modelled, AAMGs... and if only tanks could be unbuttoned...). By the way, have you guys noticed the tricks 1C used to simplify them? Take a Tiger tank, for example, and do a close-up for the wheels. The wheel geometry is very low-poly with softened normals, but it looks like it was high-poly model because of a bitmap plane in front of it. :) I'm not sure what was the purpose of this, as current machines are more than able to process hundreds of thousands of polygons moving real-time, nevertheless, I think it was worth noting as one of those clever tricks that frees a little bit of resources that might be needed somewhere else. :) Cool stuff.

All I always wished in 3D real time strategies, is the smoke and dust (from explosions) that could last longer. Way longer. Take Steel Panthers for example or Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30/Earned in Blood with Rendroc's Warzone (Hollywood FX enabled) mod. You shoot - there's smoke/dust accumulating all around you. Lasting long, denying your LOS. Also some cool stuff, but unfortunately never really implemented into other games. All we always have is smoke/dust particles disappearing after 2-3 seconds. Often with no lifetime randomness.

I remember the consumer versions of Steel Beasts. I was never that impressed. $125 for the Pro version scares the heck out of me without a demo or lots of screen shots. Interesting though, as I never knew it was available.

Steelbeasts is now in the archives. BTW there are plenty of videos on YouTube covering Pro PE. Also for a limited time the sim is reduced in price.