Artillery HE Being Used For Smoke Mission

I am currently playing a PBEM game and noticed something weird with my artillery. I set up a preplanned smoke mission from my 150mm Infantry Gun battery which started with 50 HE and some number of smoke. After firing off all of the batteries smoke, I checked the remaining ammo count on the battery. It now states 40 HE and zero smoke. Anyone have any idea why 10 HE rounds are missing? They were not used for spotting since the mission was preplanned and I know for certain no 150mm HE landed on map because I heard no massive explosions and saw no craters, just smoke. Could anyone explain this or is it a bug? I have screen shots and saved PBEM game files if anyone needs them.

Are you saying that if it says:

105mm 40

105mm smoke 10

Then I have 40, not 50 rounds?

GaJ

Yes, and 10 of them may be fired as smoke. It's a weird way of accounting for things, to my way of thinking, but it's "WAD" according to BFC. If you fire all 40 as HE you'll see 10 smoke showing as remaining, but won't be able to fire them.

Are you saying that if it says:

105mm 40

105mm smoke 10

Then I have 40, not 50 rounds?

GaJ

You have 40 rounds. The UI is a bit confusing, but the representation is realistic. In reality you get a number of rounds allocated to you for the fires you need. You then ask for a certain mission-type (e.g. smoke or harass or destroy) and the rounds fired will then deduced from the total allocated to you. since smoke is limited in supply you are allocated 40 rounds in total and thereof 10 smoke at max in your specific example.

I thought that I've seen, in the past, that as you fire the last rounds you have available to you, the smoke count goes down and indeed smoke is fired (even though HE was called).

Is this wrong?

GaJ

Yes this is wrong. Just ran a real-time test with a M2A1 4 guns, heavy, maximum, general mission. As soon as HE reaches the level of the smoke available the smoke ammo counts down in parallel to the HE still available until both reach 0. The effect of the fire towards the end of the mission is still the same (craters, smoke from the explosion etc) as during first phase the mission.