Increased realism awareness

Are you kidding.:confused:

If we are going to get this over demanding.

Then I am upset, I have yet to see one insect in any of the game play. Insects are everywhere. I demand we get them flying around the bodies of woiunded men.

And what about some cilvilians, exspecially woman, its time to add war crimes into it also.

I just cannot get into it - big "immersion breakers" :(

Immersion is a strange beast - the things that make or break it.

Largely, it is about consistency, I suspect.

For example, you can get fully immersed in CMx1 movie, or a CMBN movie. Yet the level of realism in each is completely different.

But if you had a CMBN platoon suddenly appear in the midst of a CMx1 game, the immesion would break. Your mind would be like "Huh?".

For me, CMBN tank behaviour is like this. Everything else is so realistic: men jump fences, etc etc. Yet tank drivers drive like learners. I think it's not only the underdamping: we could argue how excessive this is. It's the fact that tank drivers need to be handheld to drive their tanks sensibly.

The overall result of giving an order like "quick, drive around behind that church as fast as you can", is a sequence of jerks and rocks that break immersion for me. As a programmer, it looks like someone found a cool vehicle suspsension modelling algorithm and didn't finish tuning it's behaviour. Stands out from everything else that is so well integrated: leaves burst of trees when fire goes through them, yet tank drivers can't drive. The exaggerated rocking just emphasises this visually.

GaJ

We quickly spotted a Sherman tank. Our 88mm gun commenced firing and the tank was soon knocked out. . After proceeding a little further, one of our accompanying tanks asked about our position. It was then that I suddenly realized that my map of the town had disappeared. Just then another Sherman appeared so I ordered my men to shoot. Nothing !!! The gun didn't work, what could we do ? I ordered the other tanks to slow down and cover me, but to keep on firing like crazy.

And than I found out that my map, which was in a thin plastic sheet, had slipped under the barrel when the gun recoiled during our last shot. When gun sprang forward again, the plastic sheet blocked the electrical contact of the firing mechanism. Even the emergency-firing system failed so our main weapon was useless !!! Our 88 was gone !!!

Now what ? How long would it take to get the gun working again ? The tremendous force holding the gun in place made it impossible to get plastic map away from where it was stuck. Maybe by pushing the gun against a firm object, the plastic sheet could be pulled loose. Well, to make a long story short, a few farmhouses in Kommerscheidt came tumbling down. I simply drove straight through a few buildings, but even that didn't work. And then I found what I was looking for in the middle of a field. It was a giant tree !!! If this wouldn't work, nothing would work but it finally did although it took awhile. We pushed and we pushed and the tree kept bending to the ground. And just when we thought that even this attempt was in vain, I finally managed to pry the plastic sheet loose.

So we put the gear in reverse again to back away from the tree. Our vehicle lunged back quickly and then the rear end slid into a large manure-pit !!! The guys came flying out of the tank in an instant. it was a stinky business !!! I can tell you, it really was a complete disaster !!!

There's a reality threshold that CGI films reach where they're 98% real-world-like, but that final 2% is just enough to creep you out entirely. Its been labelled "the uncanny valley". I'm talking those dead-eyed children in 'Polar Express', the creepy facial movements in 'Beowulf'. Really, it would be better if the animators backed away from the reality thing a couple notches just so they stop creeping people out. CM:BN is plenty realistic but its still a long long way from the 'uncanny valley'. People aren't liable to get creeped-out watching the replay, your brain still recognizes it as just a computer game.

Nice point: I've read about that before. It's the same thing that the (mostly Japanese) robot creators battle with: it's actually better to make a robot that's less human like unless you can make it perfect, due to the uncanny valley.

In some ways I hijacked my own thread with the new topic of immersion and the quality of the realism.

The interesting thing I started out noticing is that now that the game is more realstic looking, it has me much more actively interested in "what actually is realistic anyhow?". I can't imagine me ever watching a video of a tank and paying attention to how it brakes before :D

GaJ

To me, CMBN (with all the mods running) easily surpasses the "suspension of disbelief" threshold -- even though that's far short of the "uncanny valley," it's enough to make me see the action and trick my imagination into filling in the rest of the details, to the point that I feel I'm seeing a (slightly cartoony) representation of real WWII soldiers on the battlefield. It's enough to make me care and absorb my interest without the "straining to imagine what's really happening" that I always experienced when looking down at cardboard unit counters or trying to visualize 1 soldier representing 10 others, etc.