Increased realism awareness

It's interesting that now that CM is more realistic in visual representation, we all seem to be (and I certainly am) more interested in exactly what is realistic.

For example, when squads and houses were abstract, I never questioned how unrealstic it is that squads took cover in and fire back from houses in CMx1. It just "felt right", and BFC said they researched it, so we all believed it (well, I did).

Same with cover in trees, mortar delays and accuracy, tank bailing delay... and really any of these topics.

Now I watch vidoes that people post of war footage with much more active interest in what's really going on than ever before...

Interesting eh?

GaJ

I hope you're looking in Normandy and not California ;):)

Even looking in California can help. The principles of geology and ecology are the same the world over, even if they get expressed in sometimes bewildering variety. A lot of the maps I've seen so far just don't strike me as natural. They aren't formed the way land actually gets formed...usually. The mapmaker think it would be cool or interesting to put something in a certain place and never stops to ask himself if that's how nature, or even mankind, would do it.

Michael

As a long time map maker, I've acquired the habit of looking at terrain around me and half-unconsciously deciding how I would recreate that terrain in CM. :eek:

Soon after getting CMBB in 2002, I was driving down the road and was looking at a wheat field. I said to my 10 year old son "You could deploy a full battalion of Russian infantry in that field." He replied "Dad you need therapy."

Soon after getting CMBB in 2002, I was driving down the road and was looking at a wheat field. I said to my 10 year old son "You could deploy a full battalion of Russian infantry in that field." He replied "Dad you need therapy."

I was playing video golf with some friends a while ago and after we'd all teed off, one guy couldn't see his ball in relation to the green on the little inset map. I pointed to where it was and said, "It's hull down behind that little ridge". He said "What?"

Almost totally unrelated. But was playing the game the other day. Was watching a truck moving down the road at high speed. When it saw the enemy tank, it braked hard. it was fish tailing back and forth before coming to a stop. Now that is some realistic detailing.

I constantly find little details that amaze me. For example how tanks rock back and forth a while after stopping.

Some details might be amazing, but they are crap: like how tanks rock back and forth for a while after stopping. Look at some tank video. They don't do that.

You've obviously never driven a completely worn out Buick Electra 225 named "Sherman" by it's previous owner.

I suspect that the rocking comes from a tank braking hard after running FAST - I've seen plenty of video of that. Perhaps BFC did not change the effect for a slow moving vehicle.

However, I would hate to think that some other feature that would have enhanced gameplay was cut just to get this eye candy effect. Great graphics and eye-candy are wonderful for PR and marketing. But, after a short time playing they become irrelevant as gameplay value and enjoyment become the critical issues.

Some details might be amazing, but they are crap: like how tanks rock back and forth for a while after stopping. Look at some tank video. They don't do that. I find this combined with the ridiculous binary braking that the tank drivers use to be one of the big "immersion breakers" :(

GaJ

Are you kidding.:confused:

If we are going to get this over demanding.

Then I am upset, I have yet to see one insect in any of the game play. Insects are everywhere. I demand we get them flying around the bodies of woiunded men.

And what about some cilvilians, exspecially woman, its time to add war crimes into it also.

I just cannot get into it - big "immersion breakers" :(

I have found that the increased realism often backfires, and makes me become irked when it fails: soldiers walking through each other, mortar loaders with no shell, first aid with no bandages etc. Ironically, older programs (of all types) had so little realism that I automatically supplied all necessary details in my head. Now I expect everything to me done by the game and it is jarring when this doesn’t happen.

I still think this is an outstanding game and I am amazed at the quality: I guess I am hoping for all effects to be of equivalent detail. If we can see a soldier push a clip into a rifle, why don’t we see mortar shells dropping into the tube?

I know this is a petty concern and the added programming and CPU time could probably be used on more worthwhile projects, so I won’t keep complaining.

Then I am upset, I have yet to see one insect in any of the game play. Insects are everywhere. I demand we get them flying around the bodies of woiunded men.

And what about some cilvilians, exspecially woman, its time to add war crimes into it also.

I just cannot get into it - big "immersion breakers" :(

Speaking of insects, am I hearing the erratic buzz of insects in the background audio or are my speakers going bad?

I hope you're looking in Normandy and not California ;):)

GaJ

Well, just to show you how sick we mappers are, I'm in California too and I find myself looking at Mount Diablo in the East Bay, imagining it as a spectacular defensive position that US forces could have fallen back to after San Francisco fell to the Japanese....

:(

ARMA2 actually has buzzing insects in it, which I always thought was amazing. But in CMBN I'd like just a few insect sounds like the occasional fly or bee buzz, and that cicada-like sound that you get in the brush on a summer day. Not a lot of it, but just something to make you feel creeped out and to make the bocage feel more alive.

ARMA2 actually has buzzing insects in it, which I always thought was amazing. But in CMBN I'd like just a few insect sounds like the occasional fly or bee buzz, and that cicada-like sound that you get in the brush on a summer day. Not a lot of it, but just something to make you feel creeped out and to make the bocage feel more alive.

there is a sound mod with it :-D