Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Very weird grapics

Just loaded CMBO on a Sony Vaio Win2000 and the game screen loads OK. As soon as the scenario loads the screen is filled with shards of different colors that cover about fifty percent of the screen. The colors begin at the top left of the screen and spread across the screen top to bottom right in mulit-colored triangular shards. Some of the game screen can be seen Anyone now what's going on? Thanks.

Which Sony VAIO model do you have and do you know what video chip yours is using (I assume it may be an ATI Rage Mobility).

It looks as if your video chip/driver is definitely having a problem with the 3D code in CM. If you load up the DirectX Diagnostic (C:\PROGRAM FILES\DIRECTX\SETUP\DXDIAG) and go to the Display tab what are your settings ? If you run the available tests what kind of results do you get ?

You're correct - it is an ATI Rage 128GL chip. Here's the info from the settings: Display Devices

---------------

Card name: ATI Technologies Inc. RAGE 128 GL AGP

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

Chip type: Rage128 GL (AGP)

DAC type: Internal DAC (250Mhz)

Device ID: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5246&SUBSYS_00081002&REV_00

Display Memory: 16.0 MB

Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: NEC MultiSync 70

Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024

Driver Name: ati2draa.dll

Driver Version: 5.00.00.0080 (English)

DDI Version: 7

I ran the diagnostic tests and results were successful. It's a Sony Vaio Digital Studio.

Any other thoughts?

I'm not sure if this is the correct driver or not, but there are some newer drivers for the Rage 128 series. In the upper right hand corner under 'Latest Drivers' is a 'Rage 128/Pro, with the latest Win2K driver being version 5.13.3279 :

Rage3D

According to the info you gave me this driver should work, though it is typically a video chip that you would see on a desktop.

If you haven't checked it out already, here's some support pages on the Sony VAIO, however you're going to need a more specific part nnumber to correctly identify your model.

What color depth and what resolution are you running CM at ? Are you attempting to run an external monitor on your laptop or does your problem occur on the internal LCD display ?

Thanks- I'll try the latest Rage download and see. I ran CMBO previously on a Dell Dimension 550L and had no problems. Did Dell have a different configuration? I have a NEC Multisync 70 monitor. Some of my kid's games (e.g., Arcanum) don't oad and/or play either He said Sony did something to their system that caused many games to fail. Rumor?

The type and brand of external monitor itself shouldn't present any problems, generally speaking, in regards to the problem that you're seeing. But when you hook one up to a laptop a common option is to drive both displays simultaneously (either 'mirrored/duplicate' or 'extended desktop'). This may reduce that amount of VRAM available to each display (there are different schemes for doing this). Hence hooking up an external monitor may cause some additional 'funkiness' not typically seen on desktop video cards (other than 'dual-heads').