Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CM Refuses to Start

Every time I try to run Combat Mission I get the following error:

"The procedure entry point DirectDrawEnumerateExA could not be located in dynamic link library DDraw.dll"

The game is basically useless if I cannot get this fixed. I'm running Windows NT 4 (maintenance release 4) on a Dell Latitude laptop, and the DDraw.dll file (1998 version) does exist in my Windows System32 directory. Support cannot fix this, and I don't want to be ripped off.

Please help,

Guest Madmatt

Umm, this isn't going to make you happy but CM works with Win 95,98 and 2000 but NT 4 doesn't currently have any DirectX drivers higher than 3.

Combat Mission requires DirectX 6 or higher to run.

The specs page for CM does not list NT 4 as being supported.

I have heard that there is a way to kludge DirectX 6 to work on NT but I don't know the method employed to do this and of course it is not supported by Microsoft.

You will need to upgrade to a Windows 2000 (which is in essence NT 5, )Windows ME, 95 or 98 in order to get the version of DirectX that is required. Another option would be to dual boot a version of Windows with NT 4.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 10-08-2000).]

I have been to hell and back trying to get CM and Direct X 6.0 or above to run on

WIN NT 4.0.

Let me tell you, THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

Just forget about it and partition your hard drive to load WIN 95/98.

Then you can choose which OS to boot up with.

Kind of a hassle if your on a NT network.

But hey, whats better at work.....getting work done....or playing CM?

There's a little (registry ?) hack file out there that lies to a program as to what version of DirectX is loaded on the machine. However if the game makes DirectX calls beyond what comes with v.3.0 then it just won't work since the libraries/DLLs aren't there to support it.

As Def Bungis & Madmatt have put it - upgrade to Windows 2000 or repartition your hard drive to support a dual boot into another more DirectX-compliant OS.