Sharpshooter continues firing at no-one

Here is a movie showing a sharpshooter killing an approaching infantry person.

The approaching unit vanishes completely (no icon, no bodies) but the sharpshooter keeps firing.

It's as if the sharpy is shooting at the rest of the enemy unit, which he actually hasn't spotted.

Over at WeBandOfBrothers folk have been talking about inf continuing to fire at nothing, also.

GaJ

I have it happen as well, but take it in stride as non-robo behaviour.

The more surprised the shooting unit is by its target, the longer they freak out and keep firing it seems. Proximity and perceived danger level also seem to impact this.

I would think the sniper team should be more disciplined, but the code is probably universal to all infantry. Plus that was a close-range pop-up target.

Yup, Steve already told elsewhere that units keep firing at enemy units for a couple more seconds, for the uncertainty that a unit is not quite finished off yet and a (tac AI driven) hold fire command needs a bit of time to get in effect for all single soldiers within a unit.

The mentioned sniper unit might experience it this way:

Hans: "Strike! ...I just finished him off!"

Spotter: "Give another one. I think I´ve seen some movement and this guy over there might play dead!"

Hans: "Ok. One more, but then we need to switch position, before the enemy spots us"

Spotter: "Just to go safe. Could be an enemy officer"

Hans: "Ok. Just hit again, ...I think...but can´t tell for sure. The guy doesn´t move anymore and he´s lying in high grass"

It's been said about seventy gazillion times that the 'sniper' or 'marksman' teams in CMBN are just ordinary soldiers with a scoped rifle. They probably are the best shot in their platoon/company but they are far from sniper-trained. Which is a convenient reason for them behaving exactly like all other infantry in this situation.

I consider this realistic for the majority of infantry engagements and it´s also one of the best features in the game actually, if you think about it. Yet there´s the need to fine tune code for behavior of snipers (be they true marksman or not) as well as other soldiers who shouldn´t shoot at every given opportunity (officers, ammo bearers, heavy weapon assistants and such, ect.).

It's just surprising to me to think of someone looking through a scope rifle and firing into the grass speculatively.

However, if it's realistic far be it from me to criticise it! It just surprised me (and others).

GaJ

If you read combat accounts of snipers and sharpshooters, especially older ones, but even accounts today from Iraq and Afghanistan to an extent, it seems to happen fairly often -- just saw enemy run behind that bush, can't see him anymore, but I'll put a round into the shadows below the branches right about where I think he should be. That kind of thing. In more recent engagements, I've read several accounts of snipers trying to nail enemy popping in and out of windows or over low walls by putting high-power rounds (esp. w/ the .50 sniper rifles) through the wall, making an educated guess as to where the enemy is hiding on the other side.

Of course, when you get into true special forces sniper missions, they're much less likely to take a speculative shot. But the goal here is usually to eliminate a specific, high-value target, so this kind of mission is rather different than a combat sharpshooting situation, where the guy with the scoped rifle is supporting other forces in a broader tactical combat situation.

LOL no matter what BFC does we will feel they didn't get it right. Either the guys should keep firing a bit after they lost immediate LOS (so they ducked, you know they are still there) or they should only fire exactly at the moment they see something.

I flipped my coin and I think they got it right.

Seriously I think this is good behavior in general for a squad and I expect they can't model it diferent just because of the specific weapon someone is carrying.

Great - well, another thread another lesson :)

FWIW, I still think it would be an improvement to have a contact marker ... but as I think that through I can see that even this would be problematic, because it would result in contact markers scattering the field where units have been eliminated, and that would surely cause complaints.

So I'm happy to agree that this seems like a "good thing".

LOL no matter what BFC does we will feel they didn't get it right. Either the guys should keep firing a bit after they lost immediate LOS (so they ducked, you know they are still there) or they should only fire exactly at the moment they see something.

I do want to say (again) that I didn't start this thread saying "BFC got it wrong". I started it saying "this surprised me, it felt wrong, let's discuss". If we didn't discuss what we like and don't like, and what works and what doesn't work ... what would we be here for? Just the Peng thread I guess..

Thanks,

GaJ

I do want to say (again) that I didn't start this thread saying "BFC got it wrong". I started it saying "this surprised me, it felt wrong, let's discuss". If we didn't discuss what we like and don't like, and what works and what doesn't work ... what would we be here for? Just the Peng thread I guess..

Thanks,

GaJ

understood, it just struck me as funny, and no don't go anywhere near the Peng thread. It's just downright creepy down there.