Spotting procedure and accuracy

There are three ways of calling an arty strike:

1) Point target: Straight forward, if you can see the point you can call the strike.

2) Area target: You basically only need to see the center of the area, as well as a single spot on the outer circumerance of the area, to call a strike.

3) Line target: You only need to see the start and end point of the target line to call a strike.

I have a feeling, but no evidence, that cases of poor accuracy can be attributed to case 2) and 3) in which you have minimal target information but still able to call the strike, that is when you basically only see two spots of the entire area or line target. If you also fail to have a LOS to spotting rounds, all the worse.

<snip>

I have a feeling, but no evidence, that cases of poor accuracy can be attributed to case 2) and 3) in which you have minimal target information but still able to call the strike, that is when you basically only see to spots of the entire area or line target. If you also fail to have a LOS to spotting rounds, all the worse.

Is there a question there:)

I can vouch for that being correct. The times that artillery missions don't work out has been because of poor sight lings to the target and the area around it. Those spotting rounds can be off by quite a bit and if your FO cannot see where they land then the rest of your experience is not going to be good.

The patch is much better in this regard - unseen spotting rounds no longer end in FFE on areas away from your target.

I guess my question was what other player's experience with this was.

It's better after the patch, but I my recent game the spotting rounds fell outside the target areas (with poor view of) but still FFE was called and all the round promptly fell in the same area as the spotting rounds. It should have been called off.