against the progress bar

;1312064']I have to add some historical perspective here :o) for the mac heads. The reason everbody wanted the blue bar (back) is that in ante-blue bar CMSF' date=' you had to wait the full minute for the turn to play out in WEGO which was a major PITA in single player. In multiplayer it is/was irrelevant.[/quote']

Not sure what this means, but would that be the same if it was removed now also.

Sounds like it might.

visually it is not needed, so if someone is using it for the wrong reasons, whether it is guess work or not. It seems like it could be hidden from view and not impact the game at all.

That would end the concept of trying to read the next turn as some blue bar

prophet.

As Steve said, the time the turn takes to calculate, and the turn file size, still might tell someone something.

If someone thinks they can benefit from this, more power to them. I seriously doubt that they can. My bet would be for every case where it makes them choose something different to their advantage, there will be a case where they choose something different to their disadvantage.

I would rather have a progress bar than a spinning Windows7 wheel. At least with the progress bar I know the app is still alive...

GaJ

As Steve said, the time the turn takes to calculate, and the turn file size, still might tell someone something.

If someone thinks they can benefit from this, more power to them. I seriously doubt that they can. My bet would be for every case where it makes them choose something different to their advantage, there will be a case where they choose something different to their disadvantage.

I would rather have a progress bar than a spinning Windows7 wheel. At least with the progress bar I know the app is still alive...

GaJ

must admit, I hate that also

I imagine the only thing of use the blue bar tells you is when your opponent receives a large re-inforcement group with the resultant more discernable delay in the blue bar finishing its progress, assuming of course that your side didn't also receive a large reinforcement group on the same turn.

This was also the case with the CMx1 series of games so I really don't see it as being an issue. If you spot a hesitation in the blue bar completing it's progress who's to say it could be your tank getting waxed? If you're a pessimist I guess you would assume that but if you're an optimist then you're thinking it's the enemies tank biting the dust.

Perhaps we need the input of a psychologist to sort this issue out once and for all?

Regards

KR

More telling than the bar is when you hear a sound effect (explosion, shot) just after it completes :)

Gaming the turn resolution progress bar? This is funny.

First, if you're not the side doing the computation, you can't just "exploit it".

Let's say there's just an event being resolved, which has 50% chance of going either way (as tossing a coin). The distribution of Heads and Tails results might be like:

H H T H T H T H T H H H H H T

or

T T T H H H T T T H H H T T T

or

H H H H H ... 1 million times ... T T T T T ... 1 million times

It's like having a blind man making bets on coin tossing, when only being able to listen the "clink" the coin does when hitting the ground. Unless you have some knowledge that relates the blue bar progress - the sound the coin makes - against or favoring your interests, pretending that you can "influence" the outcome in any predictable, meaningful and useful way is wishful thinking.

This is very much like me staring hard at the moon one night and expecting it to blow into pieces the next second. That it actually happens doesn't mean I had any influence whatsoever on the event.

There is one set of cases where the player might gain some information from it - if you have been advancing without due caution on the assumption that you are in no danger of running in to the enemy, and see a lot of pauses in the bar, you might well suspect that you have wandered into quite a lot of contact, and may redo the turn being more circumspect about sending a whole company across open ground together with no overwatch :)

There is one set of cases where the player might gain some information from it - if you have been advancing without due caution on the assumption that you are in no danger of running in to the enemy, and see a lot of pauses in the bar, you might well suspect that you have wandered into quite a lot of contact, and may redo the turn being more circumspect about sending a whole company across open ground together with no overwatch :)

Yes, indeed some "context" might make it less "wishful thinking". But you wouldn't be guaranteed anything, at all, unless you could have perfect information on the situation (it could be the platoon being ambushed, but if it's an unspotted infantry gun or tank the one pounding the platoon moving across open ground, well, overwatch will not help you one bit).

As has been said, the blue bar is akin to getting a 3rd hand weather report that was posted 2 days earlier THEN making plans based on it. Sure, you might get lucky and have that picnic go off without a hitch, or you might find out that a Class 5 Hurricane isn't what you expected :D

Or put another way, a player is just as likely to act incorrectly to an assumed situation than to act correctly. And in either case it's going to be very blunt assumption acted upon.

Steve