-1 Nervous

Hello:

Trying to put all this together now. Is Womble correct below (other than he has switched Rattled and Shaken - here is the list as in the errata: "OK, Cautious, Nervous, Shaken, Rattled")?

I mean with Suppressed and Pinned being separate? These are effects and the list is a spectrum of mental states (morale?).

Thanks,

Gerry

I'd come to the conclusion that the numbers were the Soft Stat modifiers, as Ryujin says.

OK

Cautious

Nervous

Rattled

Shaken

Panic

Broken

Surrender

Rout

Suppression (and full "Pinned" status) are tracked separately but affect the morale state.

Hello:

Trying to put all this together now. Is Womble correct below (other than he has switched Rattled and Shaken - here is the list as in the errata: "OK, Cautious, Nervous, Shaken, Rattled")?

I mean with Suppressed and Pinned being separate? These are effects and the list is a spectrum of mental states (morale?).

Thanks,

Gerry

Yes, morale and suppression are separate (of course they influence each other).

The soft factors system in CMBN works great and is leagues above any other wargame out there. I was a bit surprised/disappointed, though , when I discovered that suppression state isn't modifiable in the scenario editor. It would be nice if we could go beyond specifying a unit's susceptibility to suppression problems ("fitness" or "motivation") and actually specify that a particular unit begins the game "pinned," for example. One reason would be if a scenario opens just as an intense prep barrage has lifted, and we want to simulate the suppressed state of the defenders on the first turn. Then it would be a little added handicap and challenge for the defending player to get units back into action, able to move, and starting to fight effectively before the attackers arrive within assault range.

Is Womble correct below (other than he has switched Rattled and Shaken - here is the list as in the errata: "OK, Cautious, Nervous, Shaken, Rattled")?

I'm pretty sure the game doesn't reflect the errata if that's what they say.

Shaken troops are out of control. Nervous troops can become Rattled without ever having become Shaken, but Shaken troops almost always recover to Rattled once they've gotten over being Shaken. Maybe Shaken is a separate status rather than a progression, but it's certainly more debilitating to command and control. It doesn't last as long as Panic, and the unit will more often defend itself than if it's Paniced, and it won't run out of cover or across the minefield quite as self-destructively.