Gallipoli & the Dardanelles

Is it just 1.02 or is not the taking of Gallipoli required to pass the Dardanelles?

My opponent simply took the land-sea area southeast of Gallipoli and that enabled his ships to enter and start raiding to their hearts' content. I thought you needed to take Gallipoli to do that? Is this intended? Also, some units were able to move right past Gallipoli over the sea diagonally. Is this fixed in 1.03 ((- fixed a unit movement error from Land to Land + Water tiles (Iron Ranger))) already?

Control of the land-sea area southeast of Gallipoli does indeed govern the passage of ships to or from the Sea of Marmara.

However, if the Entente have captured that tile but not Gallipoli itself, or a resource on the southern side of the straits, then the Ottomans have an opportunity to mop up and destroy the enemy unit that landed, and if they're quick enough they may be able to bottle up some of the Entente's fleet too!

I think that the issue Iron Ranger reported is a different one, as it revolved around units not being able to move in situations where they should have been able to.