H2HH 1.3.0 (Beta) Available

One thing that would awesome: Currently you can start the game via H2HH, but this takes you to the main menu, where you still have to manually select the save file. It would be awesome if you could go directly from H2HH to the loading screen for the scenario in question, thus skipping the save games screen (mine is several pages long, due to campaigns and such, so it takes a while to find what I'm looking for) I imagine this wouldn't be terribly complicated, but would require some collaboration with BFC.

Edit: GAJ beat me to it, but yeah that would be great, make the whole process seamless

Dat's da one :D

(BTW, Ranger, in the mean time we've implemented a trick whereby you get the games that you have to play a turn on at the top of your list in the "saved game" menu, leaving games that you actually have already played that turn below them ... thanks to Texas-Mac-Genius-Toast. You'll see that in 2.0.0 Alpha any day now).

GaJ

:)

All right, sorry for the delay. I asked around and got some answers for you.

1) Warning about PBEM changes - well, it's unlikely that there are going to be major changes to the way the files are used and stored, so you guys should be okay there. How much warning would you need if something like that were to arise?

File *format* changes are very common, though. Do you need warnings about that?

2) The load-straight-into-saved-game bit: this would require a fair bit of code, and some planning to avoid things like security holes. It's certainly not out of the question, but it's something that isn't likely to happen soon.

Edit: I forgot to say - if you want to discuss this in more detail, or come up with anything else to chat about, feel free to email or PM me.

:)

All right, sorry for the delay. I asked around and got some answers for you.

woot, thanks!

1) Warning about PBEM changes - well, it's unlikely that there are going to be major changes to the way the files are used and stored, so you guys should be okay there. How much warning would you need if something like that were to arise?

I guess it would depend on what you were changing. If you're thinking of doing away with saving the files at all, and instead having a web-based server, then the sooner the better because that would render H2HH pointless, and would colour how much effort we put in in the mean time.

OTOH, if you just might change the folder that you put files in, or some other superficial change but basically the operations stay the same (read a file for the turn, save it after the turn) then the ideal case is to have the same notice the beta testers have so maybe the beta testers beta test a new H2HH at the same time.

File *format* changes are very common, though. Do you need warnings about that?

Nope, we don't look in them :)

2) The load-straight-into-saved-game bit: this would require a fair bit of code, and some planning to avoid things like security holes. It's certainly not out of the question, but it's something that isn't likely to happen soon.

OK - it's good to know what you guys think about it.

From the "PBEM/H2H user perspective" this remains as the one last inconvenience of playing H2H, and the most requested feature ... so it would be great if you can do something some time :)

Edit: I forgot to say - if you want to discuss this in more detail, or come up with anything else to chat about, feel free to email or PM me.

Thanks again!

GaJ