H2HH 1.3.0 (Beta) Available

Hi All,

Just a note to let you know that H2HH 1.3.0 (Beta) is available in the H2HH Dropbox Share.

Significant new features over 1.1.3 (the latest stable release) are:

- Option to launch CMBN by right-click

- "End Game" feature, that cleans up and removes a game

- Tidy up dropbox option.

In addition, Texas-graphics-Mac-Toast has brought icons to H2HH....

H2HH.jpg

dropbox.png: dropbox is configured for this game

h2hh.png: opp is using H2HH

turn_windows.png: new turn arrived

chat.png: new message arrived

Enjoy...

(as always, if you want access to the shared folder, send me a PM with your email)

GaJ

I'm still using that special 1.2.8 Mac Alpha that removed the code that was causing the awful slow downs on Mac platforms. Should I upgrade to this, or stay with that special 1.2.8 for now?

Thank you for your work... excellent product and makes playing multiple matches via PBEM easy to manage and much more enjoyable with the "chat" function built in.

Regards,

Doug

If you don't mind trying 1.3.0, that would be nice for us, because you've been able to experience the slowdown more than Charlies (or me on a PC). So you can warn us if its back. OTOH, you can stay on 1.2.8, there's not a whole lot of difference, other than the pretty icons :) 1.2.8 has all the other features I listed (above).

GaJ

Suggestion ...

When I run HtH, I "hide" it so it's not sitting open on the desktop. So, it appears on the dock along with other apps.

When a new chat or game arrives, is it possible to have it "bounce" up like other Mac applications do when a new even occurs that needs use attention?

It would save us from having to constantly be opening the HtH app just to see if there's any new moves or chats that have arrived.

Thanks.. :)

Regards,

Doug

Suggestion ...

When I run HtH, I "hide" it so it's not sitting open on the desktop. So, it appears on the dock along with other apps.

When a new chat or game arrives, is it possible to have it "bounce" up like other Mac applications do when a new even occurs that needs use attention?

It would save us from having to constantly be opening the HtH app just to see if there's any new moves or chats that have arrived.

Regards,

Doug

You could turn on Growl instead. That's what I do and it works great. Though the bouncing dock icon is a great suggestion.

Turn on Options>Growl! Growl is good!!

Suggestion ...

Regards,

Doug

I had to kick someone from the H2HH Shared Folder just now, sorry to whoever that was!

(I lost your email at the time I kicked you, otherwise I'd write to let you know!)

You can't use the shared folder for your own purposes: unzipping the package, or running a game. If you start doing that, I have to kick you, because your files get shared with everyone, which is no good.

It happens by accident quite often, I know that the shared folder is not always easy or obvious to get the hang of if you haven't used them before. Sometimes I can just delete the spurious file and leave it at that. I only have to kick you if you keep doing it (usually by accident).

See the FAQ and other instructional files in the shared folder.

GaJ

Hey do you have plans for a mobile app. It be great to have so that way you could see if you had turns available with out having to sit/leave on your pc all the time. Or maybe a way to forward available turns to your email (which most people can check on their phones). Just a thought on how to make this useful tool even more useful.

Playing my first game using this and it is fantastic. I swore off PBEM after one attempt a few months ago, but this takes all the annoyance out of it. It's actually perfect for me since I'm a student, I can sit here and study, then every so often I hear a little beep and know its CMBN time! Thanks a ton guys!

Playing my first game using this and it is fantastic. I swore off PBEM after one attempt a few months ago, but this takes all the annoyance out of it. It's actually perfect for me since I'm a student, I can sit here and study, then every so often I hear a little beep and know its CMBN time! Thanks a ton guys!

I agree, makes is so comfortable to use :)

IMHO, it's actually a good thing that it's separate from the CM product itself.

This separation allows more people to work on creating cool stuff: if it were part of the product, the BFC team would have to spend their precious coding time worrying about how to connect to gmail instead of how to make tanks behave nicely. No-one else could help.

If it were part of the product, you couldn't request a new H2HH feature and have it the next day, because artillery spotting or tank behaviour clearly must come first for the BFC team.

What's missing at the moment is any support from BFC.

This makes the whole community add on thing much more risky and less "cool".

It's less "cool" because with some support from BFC that add-on could do what it really should do: one example is be able to start the game for you.

It's risky, because BFC with a new release may change how the whole CM product works, without any prior "warning". We could wake up tomorrow with CMBN 1.02 released and a new mechanism for PBEM in place that puts all the work so far up for a re-do.

I have to say I don't really understand why this small level of support from BFC isn't possible, but to date it seems not: BFC don't even reply to my messages on the topic. So we work with what we have.

GaJ

I

I have to say I don't really understand why this small level of support from BFC isn't possible, but to date it seems not: BFC don't even reply to my messages on the topic.

Which messages? Are you emailing somebody?

And what small level of support are you looking for? From your post it sounds like... you want us to let you know if something changes?

Great hear from you.

I've PMed a few of you :) Not actually you Phil: might have been before I was aware of you :) Was quite some time ago now.

There have also been threads on this topic.

Here are the two things on my mind: if you guys can cover them, it'd be awesome:

- Can you let is know that you'll let us know if you'll be changing how H2H (aka PBEM) file saving or mechanism works.

That would set my mind at rest about investing effort in H2HH :)

- Can you support a command line option (or indeed any way that suits you best) to start up CMBN and go straight to a saved game.

Just one example of how it might work would be

CMBN.exe \g GajVPhil001.ema \p a_secret_password

But anything to allow this to happen: a file that is put in place, a CORBA API... you name it, we'll use it to fix the one big remaining "irritant" while playing CMBN: the need to select the game and type in the password every time.

Thanks heaps for your response!

GaJ