New file at the Repository: Aris_Sherman M4_Mod Pack (2011-09-06)

Question: If one uses one of the "personalized" mod variants then all the tanks have the same graphic and text/numbers. Can one put in a folder ALL the variants including the initial plain version, number them sequentially like we do for uniforms, and hence have more varied-looking vehicles?

My understanding is that when this is done for uniforms, the onscreen uniform graphics are used based on the % of any particular uniform graphic present in the mod folder. (Hope that makes sense.) That's why we can have troops in a unit with differing uniforms, helmets, boots etc.

Question: If one uses one of the "personalized" mod variants then all the tanks have the same graphic and text/numbers. Can one put in a folder ALL the variants including the initial plain version, number them sequentially like we do for uniforms, and hence have more varied-looking vehicles?

My understanding is that when this is done for uniforms, the onscreen uniform graphics are used based on the % of any particular uniform graphic present in the mod folder. (Hope that makes sense.) That's why we can have troops in a unit with differing uniforms, helmets, boots etc.

Erwin, yes you can do that.

HOLY CRAP! I thought you were mixed up MJ, so I gave it a try (with the M$ Sherman Mid) and low and behold, you were right! That's a change from CMSF and CMA. Nice find, how long have you known about this?! You should make an announcement in the mod forum ( I don't wanna steal your thunder). I had no idea they made this possible and probably lots of others don't know either...I requested/suggested this a number of times...seeing that you could do it with other stuff like unis and helmets. Figured players could decide how much they wanna bog down their vid cards.

Kickass, man! Thanks for the awesome news!

Mord.

???? Mord, it works for me. I've been doing that will all SAris' mods. You can't mix different models, but within a model M4 75 Mid, for example it works. I just number the hulls sequentially like with uniforms, but come to think of it, I may have done turrets and hulls for the Panthers too. I'll go check.

I didn't know you couldn't do that, and didn't know it was a big deal.

"m4-75-mid-hull.bmp" on the left, "m4-75-mid-hull 2.bmp" is on the right.

Mord, time to take your meds! Or am I misunderstanding the issue?

LOL! Meds taken...nope you were right...and I am glad I was wrong. What I did wrong was I numbered both mods. I had hull 1 and then hull 2. Looking at yours I saw that you only added a 2 to the second hull. It works perfectly. Nice find, my man! This is excellent!

As far as I know it could never be done in CMSF...maybe I numbered wrong there as well.

EDITED: I checked CMSF and it doesn't seem to work there, unless I did something wrong again, so, this is NEW for CMBN.

Mord.

Glad to hear that, Mord, my friend. I thought that maybe I screwed up--a not unusual occurrence. lol. I tried it 3 times last night, and once I had one "plain" and four with the Indian head insignia, and the other two times it was 2 plain, 3 Indian head. With images, you have to name/number the mods the same as the base game does, in order to override the stock image(s), and then continue the sequential numbering. Most base game images skip the number "1" but some, like the multiple US and German uniforms, don't even have the name-with-no-number (like the one on the left in the pic above), but instead start out with the number "1".

Aris: I noticed in my games that while the plain M4's have your wonderful graphics the M4A1 and A3 versions still appear to be the CMBN originals.

Are those variants still to come, or why would the mods not show up for those versions?

I believe it is just the basic M4 variants that he has modded so far. I think he said that he has actually uploaded the M4A3 pack to the repositary so I guess they will be available on monday.

Glad to hear that, Mord, my friend. I thought that maybe I screwed up--a not unusual occurrence. lol. I tried it 3 times last night, and once I had one "plain" and four with the Indian head insignia, and the other two times it was 2 plain, 3 Indian head. With images, you have to name/number the mods the same as the base game does, in order to override the stock image(s), and then continue the sequential numbering. Most base game images skip the number "1" but some, like the multiple US and German uniforms, don't even have the name-with-no-number (like the one on the left in the pic above), but instead start out with the number "1".

Yeah, that's what was throwing me off...I was using the same sequential naming conventions as the unis and helmets...I just happened to catch that you didn't have a 1 in your explanation above.

If you want I can create a thread (if you don't feel like it) and will give you full credit for the find. I'm not sure many people know about this. This is a big deal...we've been needing this since CMBO!

Mord.

Hey Mord, be my guest. You've had experience modding CMSF, while I have not and you've got much more "street cred" than I do. Besides you have a much better knack for generating enthusiasm through these threads than me. LOL, I got a real kick out of your posts last night. When I release the HG Pz Division uniforms, I'll contact the Mord Marketing Department!

Great. I was hoping it would work for vehicles like for uniforms and helmets etc.

What about Aris' optional "Shared US Gear?" There is only one file in that. Not sure if there is an alternative "front of tank" graphic than can be renumbered to get more variance in that gear.

What I do when there is only one named vehicle is to copy and rename about 3 plain mod graphics to one named mod graphic. That way I hope I will see maybe one of the tank platoon vehicles with the name and the others will be plain.

It's terrific to see so much variety now.

Great. I was hoping it would work for vehicles like for uniforms and helmets etc.

What about Aris' optional "Shared US Gear?" There is only one file in that. Not sure if there is an alternative "front of tank" graphic than can be renumbered to get more variance in that gear.

What I do when there is only one named vehicle is to copy and rename about 3 plain mod graphics to one named mod graphic. That way I hope I will see maybe one of the tank platoon vehicles with the name and the others will be plain.

It's terrific to see so much variety now.

Not sure about the gear, Erwin, but it should work.

One thing I'm not sure of is if the game chooses the images by lowest-level unit, mostly platoons, or not. In other words, if you have 5 different hull images, will you get those 5 different mods in each platoon, or does the game apply the randomness to the whole force in that scenario?

Not sure about the gear, Erwin, but it should work.

One thing I'm not sure of is if the game chooses the images by lowest-level unit, mostly platoons, or not. In other words, if you have 5 different hull images, will you get those 5 different mods in each platoon, or does the game apply the randomness to the whole force in that scenario?

It looks like its randomly spread across the whole force. I made no test or anything this is just my observation.

One of the big selling points of CM2 was that vehicles etc would not all look the same. So, am assuming that using the numbering system, we should now be able to get a mix.

One question tho' is that Aris has a number of mods that were given to us as brz files. Without having to explode every one and looking, anyone know if any of the brz files have variants that we need to do similar renumbering?

One of the big selling points of CM2 was that vehicles etc would not all look the same. So, am assuming that using the numbering system, we should now be able to get a mix.

One question tho' is that Aris has a number of mods that were given to us as brz files. Without having to explode every one and looking, anyone know if any of the brz files have variants that we need to do similar renumbering?

I suspect he may not be aware of this. Much of what I have from him is not compiled into a brz, but simply kept as BMPs in folders. For example his Mod of the M4 mid has a variant, it is not done by incrementing, but rather appending Tonto on it.

Going by what I have seen I am gonna guess that his brzs don't have variants...his mods with variants seem to all be BMPs in folders with preview pics and what not. Doesn't hurt to check, though.

Mord.