The Iraqi Theater of Operations

Hi Rabelesius

It would require a HQ and some infantry. Better still some cavalry and artillery too.

Airships and Bombers would also help in reducing the Ottomans' already low supply levels, and could be sufficient support to a good force to take Baghdad, even if it lacks artillery.

There is a Decision Event for the British to deploy a HQ in this area:

DE 126 - UK: Deploy General Maude in Mesopotamia?

· Event fires: On the 1st July 1916 when Basra is in Entente hands, the UK is aligned with the Entente and fully mobilized, and the Ottoman Empire is aligned with the Central Powers and fully mobilized.

· Cost of accepting: 200 MPPs (at 50 MPPs a turn for 4 turns).

· Yes: Maude deploys as a British HQ at Basra on the 10th July 1916, along with the Tigris Corps.

· No: Nothing.

This is in the 1914 Call to Arms Strategy Guide, but as in those days Iraq was called Mesopotamia you may have missed it.

I hope this helps, and it can certainly be worthwhile advancing in this area, but be careful not to repeat the mistakes the British made in 1915 which led to the surrender of their force at Kut-al-Amara!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Kut

Bill

Hi, and sorry, I forgot to answer your question about railways as I was too busy thinking about strategy in Mesopotamia!

It isn't possible to construct new railways in the game, and what happens with Basra is that the city, port, and surrounding area is transferred to the UK when the event fires. It's not really a work around to create a railway though.

I guess that a mod of the main campaign based on the premise that the Berlin-Baghdad railway was completed before the war could lead to some interesting strategical options in the area, because at the moment it's hard for the Ottomans to reinforce this area. That could make the Entente's occupation of Basra rather precarious indeed...

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

At the end game, I went looking around at the map to see what was going on as the CP player. And I found out that the British had 6 air units in Iraq, 2 fighters, 2 Recon-B, and 2 H-bombers. I was thinking maybe someone should take look at the AI files for Iraq. As it looks like a waste of air power to me.

I put numbers on the thumbnail but it kind of hard to see.

post-33805-141867623286_thumb.jpg