Meeting Engagements

Meeting engagements as fought in CM are ahistorical in several ways. The point of including them is not to try to recreate history so much as to present the players with the most chess-like game possible within the system.

If you want to make the game more historical, you might try giving them different geographical objectives on each other's side of the map.

Michael

I'm playing a couple now: Each is a "Medium" game.

The first (where I chose the full setup) does indeed look artificial. Infantry only, one smallish objective in the center or the map, corner starting positions. So we've got around half a battalion on each side racing to take up positions in the woods around a small collection of houses.

The other (where I didn't chose the setup) has the same force size, but Mixed. The map has a large town in taking up the whole center area of the map. This one seems much better: More like a couple of mech forces clashing over a key point. We're each probably racing for our initial positions, but by the nature of the map and the forces I think that initial phase will be quicker and occupy less of the map: I expect a fairly short but still significant scouting phase.

So while they often are quite artificial I think you can get game that *seems* reasonably historical if you use the right map and relatively small force sizes. Generally... maybe "Tiny" for Infantry Only (I think that'll get you a Company) and Small for Mixed.

Historically, the vast majority of meeting engagements in Normandy would have been squad sized patrols accidentally bumping into each other in no-man's-land, so Tarquelne's last paragraph above comes pretty close. But again, I don't think the two sides should have the same objective most of the time, unless it was some point from which good observation of both sides territory could be realized.

Michael

To put a stop to the ever-increasing Emrys signature tying up valuable bandwidth (second now only to Netflix): I suggest the following.

*Everyone* post some variant of this "Michael Emrys is utterly and irrefutably correct and his answer so totally covers every aspect of this matter that no further threads on this topic will be allowed"

There will be no need for more additions to his sig, and the force will cease being disturbed