Jeeps with Baz/Ammunition

Thanks. Sorry but how do you enter a vehicle/Jeep? I see the Dismount command. Putting a waypoint on the Jeep doesn't seem to work.

Also before the squad can enter and Acquire the material, do the guys in the Jeep have to Dismount first?

Gerry

A jeep has a capacity of 6 people. If the total of [current occupants] + [new occupants] > 6, you won't be able to enter the jeep with the new occupants. The currrent occupants (or some of them, if it's multiple teams) will have to dismount to make room. Unfortunately this takes an entire minute in WeGo, since the jeep is occupied when the new riders are being given their orders. Once there's room for the team you want to mount up, if you give the team a move order, hover the mouse over the icon for the jeep (it works with the jeep itself too, but I find it easier to use the icon), the mouse cursor should change into a 'down arrow' rather than a sideways-pointing one. Click and the team will embark.

You can see the capacity of any vehicle. In the Unit information pane, there are a load of little circles. The ones near the left hand edge of the pane are the crew. The ones on the right are passengers.

Thanks. Sorry but how do you enter a vehicle/Jeep? I see the Dismount command. Putting a waypoint on the Jeep doesn't seem to work.

Also before the squad can enter and Acquire the material, do the guys in the Jeep have to Dismount first?

Gerry

All you have to do is issue any movement order into the jeep, and the team will hop aboard. The caveat that's probably screwing you up is that whatever infantry unit you order to embark on the jeep has to be small enough to fit in whatever seats are currently available in the Jeep.

The Jeep has a total passenger capacity of 6, IIRC, which includes the driver. So if you've got a driver in the jeep, there's only 5 slots left for other guys.

If you want to resupply a full (12-man) infantry squad from a Jeep, generally the best way to do it is split off a 2-man scout team and have them embark on the Jeep to get ammo. As long as there's at least 2 seats empty in the jeep, they'll hop in. They will share the ammo with the rest of the squad once they get out of the Jeep and re-join.

It should work, but I notice sometimes does not. Putting a movement waypoint on the Jeep's floating icon always works for me. BTW, if the moving unit happens to already be in a vehicle, it first has to move outside the vehicle before it can mount another vehicle. In WEGO, this is a two turn operation.

No. If the unit is already aboard a vehicle with ammo, it can acquire some of the ammo before disembarking.

You know, you really should play around with the commands and experiment more. CM is pretty common sense and yields most of its secrets readily enough to this technique.

Michael

Thanks for all the explanations. Really appreciated. I searched the manual for mount/enter and I couldn't find anything. (I could see the Dismount as I said). I understand what you are saying Michael and believe it or not I am trying. I set up a QB with a Jeep loaded with stuff. However there is no way I could have figured out the hovering about the Jeep/icon thing.

I am making one last attempt to get into a computer wargame. Hence the slew of questions now. I have started my first PBEM and that adds a lot to the game.

Gery

I am making one last attempt to get into a computer wargame. Hence the slew of questions now. I have started my first PBEM and that adds a lot to the game.

Best of luck. Yes, CM has a pretty steep initial learning curve that we have all struggled with at one time or another. And yes, also true that the manual is really inadequate for such a complex game. But as I said, it is pretty common sense and if you spend some time thinking about what is in front of you and experimenting with it, you will experience many "Aha!" moments. But there are definitely some aspects that stump even the experienced players. Which is why this board is handy as such problems do get analyzed and solutions found and reported here.

My best advice: Be patient; don't give up. Hang around this board and keep your eyes and ears open.

Michael

Use your admin command tab. It's the one with the movement, combat, and special tabs. They're the M,C,A,S, tabs on the right of UI. It can only be active when the unit is has no movement orders. (The clerk can't give you the admin orders if you're running away?) Anyhoo... select "Admin", the "A" tab.

Depending on the squad size, command status, training, etc, you should see 4 commands. They are Scout Team, Split Teams, Assault Team, and Anti-Tank Team.

You need to break off one of the teams so it'll be small enough to get in the jeep and Acquire the bazooka. (Don't forget to grab the ammo, too.)

The best team would probably be the anti-tank team. They are two men in size, as are the scout teams.

The squad will recombine if the teams are in the same action spot for half a minute or so.

Give it go. Experiment. Each team has strengths and weaknesses compared to the others.

Ken

Gery

Well you picked a good one, but as Michael noted be patient. If you are willing to put in the time I think you will be richly rewarded.

PBEM has definitely increased my enjoyment of the game, but at the same time if you have an opponent who is markedly superior you may want to have them share more information to help you use some initial games as a sort of tutorial. It is to both your advantage to assist you in building up your understanding of the mechanics to have a more challenging and interesting experience. I am learning quite a bit from both my opponents and hopefully providing them with some of the same.

I understand. But wouldn't the AT-team already have some AT weapon? So might it not be better to have another team get the Baz? Or is it a case of the AT-team would have special training?

Do Baz have effects against Infantry in the open? I think that they can only affect Infantry hiding behind structures (walls, bocage, ..)

Thanks,

Gerry

I understand. But wouldn't the AT-team already have some AT weapon? So might it not be better to have another team get the Baz? Or is it a case of the AT-team would have special training?

Do Baz have effects against Infantry in the open? I think that they can only affect Infantry hiding behind structures (walls, bocage, ..)

Thanks,

Gerry

In this case you are going for the additional ammo.

When you split off a team you can select an AT team, they won't necessarily have a Bazooka depending on the loadout of the original squad. You then send them into the halftrack and grab the bazooka.

I try to keep my AT teams from using their weapons at anything other than my intended targets. Nothing worse than having an AT team with no ammo when an enemy vehicles is wandering into an excellent ambush location. It can almost make you cry.

Thanks,

Gerry

Not necessarily. They may just have the grenade launcher and a single anti-tank round. They are considered trained in infantry anti-tank weapons, so they can use the bazooka (better than others can). If they already have a bazooka (some squads do have them equipped that way), then, indeed, use a different team.

Yes they have effects against infantry in the open. Not much.