v 1.32 bug of shooting at friendlies?

Rangoon

I was unsure what was going on in a campaign mission, until I finally caught them in the act. I had been seeing random firing from friendly positions in directions where there were no suspected enemies. In fact, in the direction of friendly positions and friendly cleared/occupied buildings.

Then I finally caught a soldier taking aim and firing at/near a friendly vehicle.

I have a save-game right before he shoots again, but I don't know how to provide it since it's nearly 10MB. He's firing at a friendly vehicle. He wasn't the first to do this. At this point, I had seen it already from a few other soldiers/squads in different places, and at different units.

But is this a known bug? Or something else I'm not understanding?

EDIT: I should add that I also verified there were no target commands being issued. Or, if there were, they were in different directions entirely.

I have a save-game right before he shoots again, but I don't know how to provide it since it's nearly 10MB. He's firing at a friendly vehicle. He wasn't the first to do this. At this point, I had seen it already from a few other soldiers/squads in different places, and at different units.

There are several free (but probably with lots of ads if you don't use adblocker) sites where you can upload files, such as mediafire.

Okay, I just captured a screenshot of another (new) moment where a friendly rifle squad member is firing on friendly troops and vehicles. There are no enemies in that direction, nor have there been for quite some time.

What is this behavior all about? And for what it's worth, most of the rest of his squadmates are heading in a different direction (toward the enemy).

post-33621-141867623266_thumb.jpg

Anyone recognize this behavior? The soldier in the lower center of the screen (above) is aiming at and shooting at the Stryker to his upper left. His squad mates (except I think one) are all running to the right.

This was only one instance of many during this particular mission where I observed this behavior. Never caused any damage to anyone as I think it was only small arms fire that was involved in all cases.

I can't tell. The soldier in question may be mistakenly shooting at friendlies. (The screenshot did not show enough at my screen size/resolution for me to tell.) I don't know if CMSF incorporates friendly fire for night-time action. I _think_ it does. Meaning, at night, it's easy to get confused and shoot at your own men. This could be an example of that.

IIRC green troops at night are quite prone to mis-id'ing friendlies. Especially in the Red VS Red scenario's this lead to heavy friendly fire casualtiess, since in most scenario's Blue troops are not 'green'.

You could check the experience level of those soldiers.

If those are green troops indeed, it's best not to use them in the heat of battle with friendly troops around.

Aha! I suspected it was going to be a night battle. The chance of your men firing on their own side or simply freaking out totally goes up exponentially. It even may go up depending on the level of avalilable moonlight. Very much a 'feature' and not a bug. I've heard anecdotes from old WWII veterans about even with the enemy in their crosshairs thye didn't dare to pull the trigger because discharging your weapon at night tends to bring a LOT of frantic blind firing in your direction.

wow I did not know mistakingly aiming at friendlies was in the game...first time ive ever heard about it,

I've been actually working on my first mission these past few weeks. It is a night time mission between rebel forces and Syrian Commoandos. I noticed during one of the testing phases that one of my platoons, out of communication was actually shooting at a friendly squad nearby. At first I thought it was a bug but then after watching and moving them closer for C2 to take effect, they realized their error and stopped.

Pretty impressive stuff to me.

I've seen pixeltruppen shooting at (or at least in the direction of) friendlies since at least the release of the "Task Force Panther" campaign (which was at least pre-v1.20, since it used SBCT infantry to stand in for paratroopers, rather than the IBCT infantry introduced with the British module).

Yet another reason to assign infantry units relatively close cover arcs.