How do you tell if water is ford-able?

climb 'into' the river (under the water surface) and scoot along looking for the fords. A full river is quite deep so the bottom of rivers is quite a way down, but the fords are noticeably higher and use a different texture.

Unless the map designer is a nebbish it should be reasonably easy to find them anyway, in obvious spots, like under a landmark that reads something like Ford, or where a road or track intersects a river but there isn't a bridge.

The other simple way to do it without having to go down to level 1 view and "get wet" is to select any infantry unit (if you're looking for infantry fords) or vehicle (if you're looking for a vehicle fords), and try to plot a movement order into the water. If the mouse pointer is over a ford, you'll get the usual green icon. If it's over non-fordable water, the icon will change to the red "no-go" symbol.

Well since every map is made by someone, they should all have some sort of cue. If a map in your possesion does not, then go in the editor and correct this oversight. ;)

Whether it is as small as short grass leading to the edge next to Tall grass everywhere else, or something more pronounced, no ford should exist without a lead-in of some sort.

This example is rather extreme, but it leaves no question as to the location of a ford. Note the lead-in areas and the flavor object posts.

val5.jpg

--------

I've always used the JonS river scooting method, on some maps you can find some interesting hidden fords which if your opponent doesn't notice them can give you a significant advantage.

Yeah, one of the first things I do when reviewing a map with a water obstacle is to play submarine and locate all the fords if any. If they aren't marked, I make a mental note relating them to visible land marks.

Michael

Sigh.

Thanks.

Can someone post a picture of what a ford looks like under the water?

This is much like mud: until you've seen it and are sure it is it, you don't know what it really looks like... I might be looking at a river that is all-ford, or none-ford, or the difference might be more subtle than I realise...

I can't go look in the editor, it's a QB that's commenced...

Thanks!

GaJ

You'll probably want to create a straight section of river, and another section that runs at 45° (that is; along the diagonal). The under water appearance of the river, and the fords, is a little different depending on whether it's straight or at 45°.

Jon

That's what I saw in the editor. Are there cases where this is not true?

I doubt it, although I suspect you *may* have the U and the V reversed.

It seems to me that this was easier to answer than you guys are making out.

Sure, but you've seen it for yourself now, which is always better than having something described* :) AND you've used the editor. Win win! Besides, I'm away from my gaming PC at the moment, so I couldn't do any piktchas at the moment, even if I felt like it :D

Jon

* Isn't there an old joke about British cobblers that goes something like 'they've never actually seen a pair of shoes, but only had them described'?

I doubt it, although I suspect you *may* have the U and the V reversed.

You seem to be right about this. Although I thought I was careful, now when I return to the editor, V seems to be water, and....

... well actually, I can't reproduce the U shape at all. I have the U shape in the QB that I'm looking at, but now when I open the editor and add deep fords, I find I can barely get the camera under the water at all in the deep ford. Are there other variables at play?

GaJ