Wish for Campaign Replacements

"Fourthly; the units bought back had suffered reasonably substantial casualties in the Med, and had large injections of 'green' men before they saw combat again in Normandy."

Earlier you correctly say we shouldn't be discussing things at the Divisional level. But is there evidence that they split up platoons and mixed everyone up at the individual soldier level?

See the post immediately before yours.

And in any case, CMBN is NOT RL. It is a GAME designed for entertainment.

Indeed. I've responded to this already.

The cookie-counter feel of all squads/platoons in CMBN works against one's efforts to ID with one's guys.

Cookie cutter? You need to play better scenarios then, because the experience and motivation of the squads and teams in CMBN is anything but cookie cutter unless the designer is determined to make it so. If anything, CMBN is much richer in this regard than CMx1.

Even so, the fact is that units DID improve during a campaign in RL. They did not come out of Normandy all the same level of experience. Not sure why this seems like a controversial concept.

UNITS did, yes. But the thrust of this thread is to push that down to the lowest level, as if unit's improving performance was the aggregate result of improving performance across hundreds of individual riflemen. I do not believe that is correct.

Regards

Jon

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing. When I talk about units improving performance, I don't mean that an entire Company is automatically a higher experience level in the next battle of a campaign. What I would like to see is some probability of units at the smallest (usually squad) level gaining (or losing) experience between battles.

Re "cookie-cutter"... Currently in CM2, while of course I see that units have different attributes, I find the actual effects of those attributes on the unit's performance in the game to be too subtle. So, what I mean is that compared to CM1 units I find the CM2 units to be much more similar to each other.

In CM1, I regularly locate the best squads during setup and use them for special tasks as they perform appreciably (in game terms) better. I do not perceive performance differences so clearly with CM2 units regardless of the numerical attributes a CM2 unit may possess.

I acknowledge that I do not know enuff to know if that subtlety better reflects reality. But, I do know that it works against game enjoyment re the CM2 numerical attributes giving CM2 units little or no discernibly different characteristics or "personalities".

Although the concept of awarding promotions and medals is more controversial for a game like CM, it is not simply chrome. That feature in the Silent Hunter series of games helped one to care and identify with one's men (although I think those games allowed overuse of that feature).