Sneaking up with infantry AT.

I was in a situation with an enemy Sherman just around the corner of a house in a very small village. The Sherman was buttoned.

Behind the house I had a faust team in good order. Also my mortar had LOS on the tank. I decided to fire smoke and sneak my AT team through the smoke to attack the tank.

I should mention that the Sherms turret was facing away from my troops at a 3 o'clock position.

So all is well and good. However as the smoke cleared the AT team did not fire. The Sherman turned it's turret and eliminated my team.

Any thoughts on a better strategy? In addition I have not seen an AT team fire from a house.

I presume that is in consideration of the back blast.

I was in a situation with an enemy Sherman just around the corner of a house in a very small village. The Sherman was buttoned.

Behind the house I had a faust team in good order. Also my mortar had LOS on the tank. I decided to fire smoke and sneak my AT team through the smoke to attack the tank.

I should mention that the Sherms turret was facing away from my troops at a 3 o'clock position.

So all is well and good. However as the smoke cleared the AT team did not fire. The Sherman turned it's turret and eliminated my team.

Any thoughts on a better strategy?

I'd've left out the smoke. If the target is 'just round the corner' the AT team will spot it immediately (one of the best times to use a Hunt order, I think) and, IME, fire as soon as they can. Smoke's a tricky thing to judge, in my opinion, and in this case seems to give little benefit viz a viz the tank/AT team contest. Smoke to cover the AT team's flank from the infantry that should be overwatching the Sherman, yes, if you can be sure it won't jigger your AT team's LOS at an unfortunate moment.

It's difficult to say why your team didn't open fire. If they were very green/poorly led/in a low morale state/suppressed, they're less likely to operate effectively, but I've certainly had teams do similar popout attacks. Some of them have gotten away with it, while others haven't.

In addition I have not seen an AT team fire from a house.

I presume that is in consideration of the back blast.

Indeed. While there are anecdotes of special occasions when AT Rocket fire from a house was successfully arranged, BFC have said that they were rare enough that permitting it in code would not be worth it. If your AT team only has Rifle grenades left, you might see it though :)

AT teams WILL NOT fire zooks/shrecks/fausts from inside a building. The backblast would kill friendlies.

Sometimes my troops inexiplicably hesitate to fire. I dnt know why it happens, it just seems to. However as mentioned above theres so many variables - suppression, experience, morale state, fatigue, C2, etc etc

In the real world, smoke is harder to see out of than into as far as spotting. So if a unit is in the smoke it should be harder for them to spot than to be spotted from someone out of the smoke.

Again cmX1 had a tendency to do just the opposite, they unit in the smoke normally fired first. In the new game, not sure who has the advantage.

In a real world application, how you were trying to use it, you lay smoke to give you acccess to close and fire on the enemy from a unpredicted location.

you should have ran your unit through the smoke, then have the hunt command on once it is out of it far enough to likely see the enemy, so that it would stop and fire hopefully its shot first before it receives a reply. So the closer and far to the flank or rear you can get is the best plan, because you will be lucky to get one shot first, it needs to count.

So the closer and far to the flank or rear you can get is the best plan, because you will be lucky to get one shot first, it needs to count.

I tried everything and here is what worked.

Smoke, a quick move into the smoke, and a hunt command to the flank or rear of the tank.

Thanks slysniper.