deutsche Stimmen

poesel

This thread is about getting the german voices redone. Therefore I'm looking for german speaking people and so this will continue in german - sorry for the inconvenience.

Unsere lieben Pixeltruppen sind ja recht gesprächig. Allerdings hat man so den Eindruck, das mindestens die Hälfte aus Holland kommt. :) Historisch wohl eher nicht ganz richtig. Manche samples sind auch von der Aufnahme eher schlecht. Ich hab die alten CMs nicht gespielt, aber ich vermute das BFC vieles (oder alles?) von damals recycled hat. Klingt jedenfalls manchmal so.

Das ist auf jeden Fall einiges an Verbesserungspotenzial drin und die Stimmen lassen sich ja erfreulicherweise modden.

Ich hab hier http://combatmission.wikia.com/wiki/What_the_Germans_say eine Liste mit allen Samples zusammengestellt. Sind alles 32bit wav Dateien mit 44kHz aufgenommen. Das kann absolut jedes Aufnahmeprogram erzeugen. In der Liste ist auch eine (natürlich schwer subjektive) Bewertung jedes Samples drin. Die mit '-' sollte man IMHO wirklich neu machen. Man kann auch ganz neue Samples machen. Mit dem richtigen Namen versehen werden die auch AFAIK von CMBN übernommen.

Wer hat also Lust, seine Stimme in CM zu verwewigen? :)

Allerdings hat man so den Eindruck, das mindestens die Hälfte aus Holland kommt. :)

Although I can speak German fluently (being half-German) I'll answer in English, as my written German is extremely rusty. I can assure you, there is not a single German sound file in the game that even remotely resembles how Dutch people speak German. Believe me, I know.

Yep, many of them are plain crap (...sorry to original speakers ;) ). Non german speakers do likely not have an idea anyway and couple of german speakers probably don´t know RL german command language in WW2. So it´s not a problem for maybe 80-90% of CM players.

I´ve couple of german original field regulations from WW2, giving lots of needed info about command language and terms:

http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18276

Beside helping with info, I´m also musician and hobby audio engineer, so I can do audio recordings and editing with comfort.

Good work, with the wikia page! :) That should ease redoing files considerably. Best to start with the more "comic" or Hollywood style replacement candidates then.

The worst I did hear lately (introduced in 1.01??) is "german chatter 4.wav" (Sie hören). I needed couple of listens to understand what the voice was actually saying. :D ...I guess the original translator meant to say "zuhören!" (listen up!). But then the fine point is to say it more in a command style tone.

But there´s also some well done files, originating from CMX1, which actually do not need beeing replaced.

Sounds like fun!

I have a good microphone lying around for years, but never managed to buy an amplifier! Perhaps now is the time!

A friend of mine is a 1.95 m, 105 kg Major in the Austrian army! I bet he could "produce" some nice samples!!

Best regards,

Thomm

...think Herr Poesel was joking! :D

Actually not :)

An example is "german fire mission request received out 0.wav". He has spoken many samples. I think he is from the Netherlands.

Sorry to contradict you Juju - but the Netherlands are not far from here so I often hear them speak german.

Ok - nochmal zurück zu den Stimmen. Wer mitmachen möchte schickt mir doch einfach eine PM. Ich leg dann einen Dropbox-Ordner an, in den dann jeder seine Werke ablegen kann. Besonderes Sprachtalent ist eigentlich nicht von nöten - umso authentischer wird es! :)

Wäre natürlich schön, wenn wir viele Stimmen zusammen bringen.

Sounds like fun!

I have a good microphone lying around for years, but never managed to buy an amplifier! Perhaps now is the time!

A friend of mine is a 1.95 m, 105 kg Major in the Austrian army! I bet he could "produce" some nice samples!!

Best regards,

Thomm

That would add some nice varity! :D Maybe for the sergeants or officers voice? Guess your friend will add an appropiate authority tone!

@ poesel: I´ll start digging my TM for phrases tomorrow.

Yep, many of them are plain crap (...sorry to original speakers ;) ). Non german speakers do likely not have an idea anyway and couple of german speakers probably don´t know RL german command language in WW2. So it´s not a problem for maybe 80-90% of CM players.

I´ve couple of german original field regulations from WW2, giving lots of needed info about command language and terms:

http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18276

Beside helping with info, I´m also musician and hobby audio engineer, so I can do audio recordings and editing with comfort.

Good work, with the wikia page! :) That should ease redoing files considerably. Best to start with the more "comic" or Hollywood style replacement candidates then.

The worst I did hear lately (introduced in 1.01??) is "german chatter 4.wav" (Sie hören). I needed couple of listens to understand what the voice was actually saying. :D ...I guess the original translator meant to say "zuhören!" (listen up!). But then the fine point is to say it more in a command style tone.

But there´s also some well done files, originating from CMX1, which actually do not need beeing replaced.

Hi RockinHarry, when I click the link Iam redirected and when I click the links they seem to be dead.

Sind alles 32bit wav Dateien mit 44kHz aufgenommen. Das kann absolut jedes Aufnahmeprogram erzeugen.

So far I only see 16 Bit, 44kHz, Mono PCM files. (*.wav)

So that would be the targeted format when recording as well. Minimum is 16 Bit and 22kHz yet results in good enough quality for the game.

A cheap microphone plugged into your sound card s/b sufficient for the recording. Make sure to know how to set the right input gain when recording first. Hold the micro at a distance of at least 20 -30 cm, preferably at an angle to avoid pop noise and other distortion. While one can cut any reverberated sound or edit it with a noise gate/expander in an audio editor, it´s best to avoid any reverb sound during recording at all. I figured you can pull a blanket over your head while shouting and speaking into the microphone, to avoid most of the unwanted reverb effects. This all should produce audio files, one can work with.

I'm fully in favor of folks putting together something for the German side like what Mord has done for the American side (the more voices the better!), and thanks for all the article links in this thread.

However, as an expedient, those of you who're interested may want to check out the mod I made a few months ago (Dietrich's CMBN German voice mod v1.0 at GreenAsJade's site), which omits the quiet/muffled/distorted/fake-shouted stock German voice files and replaces them with other, better stock voice files from CMBN as well as some voice files from the German edition of Company of Heroes. I plan to make a v1.1 fairly soon which incorporates voice files from a certain other WW2 game to add more variety and gusto to CMBN's German voice files.

I'm fully in favor of folks putting together something for the German side like what Mord has done for the American side (the more voices the better!), and thanks for all the article links in this thread.

However, as an expedient, those of you who're interested may want to check out the mod I made a few months ago (Dietrich's CMBN German voice mod v1.0 at GreenAsJade's site), which omits the quiet/muffled/distorted/fake-shouted stock German voice files and replaces them with other, better stock voice files from CMBN as well as some voice files from the German edition of Company of Heroes. I plan to make a v1.1 fairly soon which incorporates voice files from a certain other WW2 game to add more variety and gusto to CMBN's German voice files.

That´s the voice mod I´m playing with for quite some time now. :) At least it has the worst files replaced with better ones from other games. Yet all we still have is a weird mix of realistic command phrases, some Hollywood style stuff and a bunch of plain nonsense, not considering file quality.

Some suggestions beforehand: The "invitation" to surrender files should be made in english with german accents. Something like...."Hands up! Drop weapons"...or..."Come over here, Amerikaner".

There´s little bit more of freedom with the chatter files. These are usually played for "idle" units, so beside all seriousness, one can mix in some occasional "funny" stuff like "Herr Leutnant, ich muss mal austreten (kacken,...)" usw.

Could you cite the ones you consider "plain nonsense", so I know which ones to omit or substitute (hopefully for ones that won't also be considered "plain nonsense") in the v1.1?

Wasn´t speaking particularly of your mod, which currently is the best alternative to original files available.:)

Files I do consider "nonsense" generally is those that use a tongue not that normal in the 1930/40ies.

german taking fire 8.wav - "nehmt die die Birne runter, Deckung" (heads down, take cover)

or

german capture 4.wav - "Waffen runter und keinen Mucks" (weapons down, no move)...would a GI understand that anyway?

or

german chatter 4.wav - "sie hören" (literally: you listen)...not considering the somewhat gayish tone. :D

rather means "zuhören" oder "herhören" (listen up)

many of the phrases have an "unmilitary" tone...

Very-very good idea guys! It's very important!!!

I don't speak German, but in CMBB, the Hungarians was:

- kids, teens

- speak modern language

- and try to translate the original English text strictly, what was very ugly...

So I really understand what a German player feels when try to lead pixeltuppen in CMBN.