...and the Stuarts

Fuser

First steps at weathering Shermans. This will take a long time. I want to do a reasonable good job on them. Only hull has been weathered, (turret remains untouched) and it´s far from finished even on that single BMP. You won´t get any news for a while since I will lose Internet connection for some days...I hope the wait will be worth it.

BetaSherman.jpg

Oooooh....well, it's looking real nice just now. Can't wait to see the finished article.

Fuser:

Interesting to see you turn to the M4's next as I thought they were among the better "stock" textures to come with the game. That said, you definitely have the knack for transforming good to great, so I sure as hell ain't complaining!;)

Do you think you will return to and "complete" the 251 halftrack series? I thought your 251/1 was fabulous. I'd love to see you take a whack at the StuG III and the german PSW's too, but I understand this is something you are doing for fun so do whatever brings you the most satisfaction - just be sure to share the results with the rest of us!:D

Oh, and don't think the nifty little details you slip in like the casings on the halftrack floor or the graffiti on the 57mm ATG shield are going unnoticed - very much admired and appreciated!

Fuser/Aristoteles...you've done one helluva a job with all these mods...I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE dirtied up vehicles...they really bring the game to life. I am particularly excited about all the grimy looking US stuff (nothing gets my juices pumping like OD and dirt!)...the Greyhounds and M20, HMC, Priest and these Shermans are setting the bar for which all future CMBN mods will aspire to. Reminds me of the precedent Marco set with those beautiful snow covered Shermans back in CMBO.

You deserve a thousand slaps on the back and as much praise as can be heaped upon you for the vast amount of work you are churning out for all our benefits. Thank you VERY much for all you are doing, thanks for making my game look grittier, and I look forward to every new release.

You are a mod god!

Mord.

Sorry if I have not been answering some of the questions lately, no Internet connection at home yet, but still modding anyway. Allied vehicles are almost done (Sherman M4A3_105s are the only ones missing). I have finished the M10 and added some decals too. I am quite happy with the result. I will go on modding the Sd Kfz 251s soon. As for the Stugs I have found a very strange problem: I haven´t been able to see the modified bitmaps ingame, even if I overwrite the originals. The game keeps on showing the stock ones. I will try to find the culprit but it´s a very weird ocurrence.

The M10 will be available today. (In the pic, the M10 which famously disabled a Panther on the Place de la Concorde during the liberation of Paris).

Preview10.jpg

P.S: I plan to redo the PzIV Mod Pack too, this time, adding many decals.

As always superb weathering.

I had a thought, hope you don't mind... it seemed from photos of the time that things were darker. maybe it was poor weather. But, I wonder if all your wonderful mods should be rather darker. Everything looks like it's very bright, almost as if under the North Africa desert sun.

Also, could do with more shade/black between the tank and the skirts?

As always superb weathering.

I had a thought, hope you don't mind... it seemed from photos of the time that things were darker. maybe it was poor weather. But, I wonder if all your wonderful mods should be rather darker. Everything looks like it's very bright, almost as if under the North Africa desert sun.

Also, could do with more shade/black between the tank and the skirts?

First of all, thank you all for the interest.

Erwin, CMBN has a lighting engine that dramatically affects the colouring of the objects depending not only of the time of the day but the positioning of the object relative to the light source (sun...). I check my mods dozens of times as I advance with weathering and sometimes I have to rotate the vehicles as the sun makes details nearly disappear. Flat surfaces (SdKfzs are a clear example) shine so bright depending on the positioning of the vehicle that even mud and dirt seem to vanish and everything looks yellowish and bright. Shadows, on the other side, make everything so dark that the contrast sometimes is odd.

Vehicle appearance changes dramatically in rainy or foggy days, dawn or dusk,...so if I wanted to darken the textures for a sunny midday I would end up with black or very dark brown dirt textures in other conditions. It´s hard to find a balance.

In CMx1 days what you "painted" was what you saw ingame. In CMBN, what you paint has to work with the lightning engine and even changes during a battle.

I have tried to darken some surfaces only to see that the contrast between side and hull surfaces was too much due to lightning.

You could see this "problem" if you start a QB, purchase the vehicles and preview them in different times of the days, sometimes the difference is way too much.

I appreciate all recomendations, and I take them into account, believe me, but sometimes it´s too hard to fight against the sun itself ;)

The shade between the skirts and the tank it´s 3d dependant. Even if you try to darken those "clear" zones the 3d model puts the textures in a way that makes those zones transparent.

Thanks for your explanations Fuser. I didn't realize it was so much more complex than CM1, so forgive my ignorance.

Re vehicles that have not yet been modded, take a look at the Axis and the Allied "used car lot" scenarios from the Repository. They include all available vehicles and guns and I see that there appear to still be a few on both sides that do not appear to have been modded (unless there is some conflict problem in my Z folder).

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=100359