Its spooky sometimes

After playing CMSF it gets spooks sometimes reading/watching news reports. Syrian equipment we recognize from the game, Syrian town names we recognize from the game. When I heard a couple days ago of Syrian gunboats shelling their own coast I rushed to see if it was at Samra, the location of one of the Marine scenarios. Its especially spooky considering a fair percentage of module scenario had been modeled on real world locations, many of which are now in the news.

syrianshilka.jpg

yeah I've been reacting to this to. What most I think about is that Turkey is raising its voice against Syria and now the US and UK agrees/talks about sanctions against Syria. All well known signs before ground troops invade.

Suddenly CMSF seems to be so much closer to reality.

Not bloody likely. Libya has oil and a rebellion that can actually carry a lot of its own ground fight, yet Gaddafi is still there.

The Turkish army is conscripted -- sending body bags home from "war of choice" would play even less well than it does in our volunteer (i.e. you signed up for it) armies. The public gets really upset when the Kurdish PKK blows up a truckload of Turkish draftees now and then.

On the other hand, they might be willing to host and participate in a NATO intervention. But I doubt they would go in themselves as the lead ground force, even with Allied airpower and airlift backing them.

What you need to understand is that BFC persuaded the government to support the revolt in order to sell more games.

;)

Michael

What I am really waiting for is some G14 types in tailored black suits to start showing up at our houses, "recruiting" us based on out performance in anonymous PBEM games to simulate various ideas for 'kicking in the front door' to Syria. ;)

All joking aside, we few lost souls here at the BF CMSF forums are in a unique position from which we can watch the developments in that part of the world with a different perspective then most people in the Western world. It seems these days most of America couldn't tell you that Damascus is the capital of Syria, or that the name of the ruling family is Assad, or that the BMP is not in fact a tank but an IFV. As horrible as the events that are unfolding over there are, and they are. I hope in my heart that the end result is a nation where the people have control over their own destiny, and do so in a responsible and respectful manner.

What you need to understand is that BFC persuaded the government to support the revolt in order to sell more games.

An excellent marketing strategy.:D

...I hope in my heart that the end result is a nation where the people have control over their own destiny, and do so in a responsible and respectful manner.

If Things would end up that way it would be nice.;)