New file at the Repository: ez US Infantry-Patched Uniforms_Normandy (Khaki) (2011-08

This mod contains the US infantry uniforms modded by “EZ”, with added shoulder patches for all US Divisions that fought in Normandy June-August, 1944. I only made minor tweaks here and there, added the shoulder insignias and, in some cases, added unit insignias painted on helmets. All credit for the fantastic uniforms goes to EZ. This mod pack contains the khaki uniforms.NOTE: For those people that have my earlier patched uniform mods that weren't based off of EZ's uniforms, you may want to simply delete it/them except for the Armor Crew uniforms (because EZ did not mod those). All of my mods that use EZ's uniforms have "EZ" in the title. A big thank you to EZ for letting me use his uniforms. mjk

More...

@Warrior, no, not one based on EZ's work...he didn't do any modification of the armor crew uniform. I can re-upload my earlier armor crew patches mod, but the uniforms aren't as crisp and detailed as EZ made these ones.

@sdp, I can't take credit for the uniforms, only for the tedium of applying the patches.

Hi Broadsword. You can pick one folder of each type/branch of uniform: Infantry (which includes glider infantry), Armor, and Airborne. Here's why: All graphics in the game have unique naming conventions for the specific image so it knows what image to wrap around the 3D model of our pixeltruppen and pixel-vehicles. In the case of uniforms, becuse each type/branch has a distinct name associated with them, the game won't be confused by a conflict in names and will go ahead a grab whatever armor, airborne, and infantry uniforms you put in the z folder and they will all show up on screen for battle.

The reason you can't have both OD and Khaki uniforms for the 8th Infantry Division, say, or why you can't have both the 4th Division and the 29th Division in Khaki, is because the game selects mods from the z folder based on highest number or letter at the beginning of the folder or bmp image or brz file in the z folder (whichever form is used, the game ultimately finds the underlying image file). In case of a tie, it will continue going through the letters/numbers of the file name until there is no tie.

So, if you put both my "z4thID_Olive Drab" folder and "z29th ID_Olive Drab" folder in your z folder in the Data folder, it will use the "z4th ID_Olive Drab" folder and ignore the other one ("4" beats "2"). If you put both the "z8th ID_Olive Drab" and "z8th ID_Khaki" in at the same time, it will grab the "z8th ID_Olive Drab" because this time, the "O" in Olive beats the "K" in Khaki.

Incidentally, I could have lumped both the Khaki and OD uniforms for the same division into one folder (individual uniform bmp images can be numbered, allowing an infinite number of uniform images to be used in the game--as long as the file name for that type/branch of uniform was used) and the game would have randomly applied them to your pixeltruppen. But I didn't think it looked good overall. The troops in the squads didn't tie in as well aestethically, so to speak (IMHO). (Christ, I'm starting to sound like Hugo Boss!!)

Finally, the actual insignias are put right onto the uniform using Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, or any image editing program. There is no separate decal for them, so that is why they "travel" with the uniform, and why modding them is tedious. And why I have to inexpertly explain why this and that can't be done. ;)

Anyway, to sum up one infantry , one armor, and one airborne uniform mod can successfully exist in the z folder at one time. If you want khaki infantry, use the division with the khaki uniform, etc.

Thanks for that very thorough explanation!

Do you know how common OD was vs. Khaki for any given division in the theatre at any given time period?

Glad it wasn't too garbled! Nope, I don't know, and I suspect there was a lot of mixing anyway, once the replacements started coming through the Repple-Depple. I just use what strikes my fancy atm. I tend to use the khaki when I go to sdp's sunny Italy.

@Warrior, no, not one based on EZ's work...he didn't do any modification of the armor crew uniform. I can re-upload my earlier armor crew patches mod, but the uniforms aren't as crisp and detailed as EZ made these ones.

@sdp, I can't take credit for the uniforms, only for the tedium of applying the patches.

That would be cool. I would like to check them out.

• 6 months later...

I really love this mod especially in conjunction with Mord's "patch" portraits mod.

I admit that before playing a historical or semi-historical campaign or mission that I make the changes to both the unit portrait and uniforms so that the American units will properly display their division insignia. (The ivy of 4th ID in Road to Montebourg, the gray Cross of Lorraine of the 79th ID in Courage and Fortitude, the Octofoil of the 9th in Die Hoffnung ect.)

However, there doesn't appear to be any uniforms representing the armored infantry battalions of the armored divisions. Is there a uniform mod that has infantry uniforms with possibly a generic armored division patch (the tri-colored triangle without the unit number designation)?

Hi Myles, no, I didn't do any of those. I did do the armor crews for all the armor divisions, but not the infantry...I got burned out on doing these and the Herman Goering Division uniforms.

But, I can use just the generic armored service patch...w/o a unit designation...and put it on the infantry uniforms if you'd like. That way I'd only have to do 3-4 uniforms.

Hi Myles, no, I didn't do any of those. I did do the armor crews for all the armor divisions, but not the infantry...I got burned out on doing these and the Herman Goering Division uniforms.

But, I can use just the generic armored service patch...w/o a unit designation...and put it on the infantry uniforms if you'd like. That way I'd only have to do 3-4 uniforms.

mk:

Thanks for the answering my question. I was just curious if there was a division insignia mod for armored infantry units and it appears there currently isn't.

As for your suggestion of a generic service patch for the armored divisions? That would be the way I'd go if I had any modding ability whatsoever.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I have 2.01 CMBN and I cannot see ANY patches on the shoulders of the uniforms. I have in my Z folder 1 mod for 82nd and this mod for the 4th I/D I can see the patch displayed on the uniform for the BMP file but I am not seeing it in game. To make sure that there where no conflicts I even pulled all my mods out save for this 1 to check and still no dice. Is this an issue of the mod needing to be updated for 2.0 or is it something else?

I know this is an old thread but I have 2.01 CMBN and I cannot see ANY patches on the shoulders of the uniforms. I have in my Z folder 1 mod for 82nd and this mod for the 4th I/D I can see the patch displayed on the uniform for the BMP file but I am not seeing it in game. To make sure that there where no conflicts I even pulled all my mods out save for this 1 to check and still no dice. Is this an issue of the mod needing to be updated for 2.0 or is it something else?

It is indeed an issue of the mod needing to be updated for 2.0. Check file name details in this thread --> http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=108822&page=4. Uniform and Helmet files need to be renamed per version 2 conventions.

If you don't mind waiting, I updated mjk's/ez Infantry Division Khaki & Olive Drab "patched" uniforms to the repository today. Just changed the file names and organized into easily used "zzz_" folders. BF reviews all such uploads before publishing for community use at large. Give it a couple days before you see BF post them. You should be able to download and use when they become available.

And I want to thank Badger for updating the mod.

Badger, still no luck with the 92nd faces mod. Go figure!

@mjkerner,

1) You're welcome. I was happy to do it.

2) Aaargh! Either we are both remarkably stupid (which I don't believe to be the case even though we are a pair of Wisconsin Cheeseheads) or it is a really arcane solution which is beyond what we both can see.

When the CM developers finish all their GL activities, maybe one of them can point us towards the solution. I would particularly like to make "skins" work for the 92nd and 442nd so as to actually deploy them in games where historically accurate on the Gustav Line. Thanks for your own time and help.

Great News Badger! Thanks for the reply and the update! Eagerly waiting for the file at the repository. BTW is it easy to do? update the files for 2.0, could I do it for my own uniform files and how is it done?

@Chazz Ulric,

It is easy enough if you're comfortable copying and renaming files within directories and sequencing them correctly. It's just tedious to rename all the Khaki and Olive Drab uniform files for three dozen US Infantry Divisions. The really hard part is getting non-caucasion skins to work for the 92nd ID, 100th IR, and 442nd RCT because I have yet to succeed at that!

For all the other Infantry Divisions, bring up your legacy (version_1) file for ez's mod with mjk's patches and do the following:

1) Always, always, always (did I say "always") make a backup of your version_1 mod "ez" patched uniform mod file. I know of no one who ever complained from having too many backups but have heard howling curses from those who didn't have any!

2) Create a new work file folder where you will copy and rename the files below.

3) For helmets, identify which helmet.bmp file has the division patch on the plain steel version and which has the camouflage netted version. For this example, let's assume us-helmet-m1.bmp is the plain "patched" helmet, and that us-helmet-m1 3.bmp is the "patched" helmet with netting. (Note - that is not always the case, so always check first.)

RENAME us-helmet-m1.bmp TO smod_amercan_helmet-solder.bmp (this is the plain steel helmet map.)

RENAME us-helmet-m1 3.bmp TO smod_amercan_helmet-solder 2.bmp (this is the camouflage netted helmet map.)

(Note - version_2 helment file names combine both underscores "_" and a dash "-" in the file name.)

4) For uniforms, you'll need to make four (4) version_2 files from the three (3) ez version_1 files. Typically, pick the one you think should be most prevalent in your "patched" unit. In this example, lets use us-soldier-uniform 1.bmp as the duplicate.

RENAME us-soldier-uniform 1.bmp TO smod_american_m41_uniform.bmp

RENAME us-soldier-uniform 1.bmp TO smod_american_m41_uniform 1.bmp

RENAME us-soldier-uniform 2.bmp TO smod_american_m41_uniform 2.bmp

RENAME us-soldier-uniform 3.bmp TO smod_american_m41_uniform 3.bmp

(Note - version_2 uniform file names use only underscores "_" in the file name.)

5) Create a "zz_unit_ID_uniform-type (khaki or OD)" folder

6) Copy all six (6) renamed version_2 files into that folder

7) Copy that new "zz_unit_ID_uniform-type (khaki or OD)" into your "Battlefront / Combat Mission Battle for Normandy / Data / Z" directory.

Start the game , load your scenario, and inspect your pixeltruppen. If you renamed all files correctly, they will be in proper uniforms and ready for action. If they are not, check your work and fix your error(s). When you finally get them right, try not to get them all killed! Good luck and good gaming.

Just to clarify. If I choose a scenario with a certain division in it and I have the mod in my Z folder the game will pick the correct uniform mod? Or do I still have to manually swap and change out mods pre scenario?

Hmm...just read the instructions seems like you still have to swap out uniform mods pre scenario...as I like to play a few sometimes it's abit to much hassle for me. Hopefully one day BF will program it in so the scenario designer can link the the forced to a particular mod. If you don't have the mod it would use the default.

Thanks