Micro Icons

HintJ

I've redone all the unit icons for CMSF to be much smaller. I simply can't stand the big baby-blue balloons anymore! I think my new icons are cute and remind me of those tiny Chiclets . . . yummy!

The mini icons are probably better for WEGO, because in the frantic pace of real-time, those big fat bubbles are much quicker for clicking.

cQxeq.jpg

s57IM.jpg

I just barely tested it, but it seems to work pretty well, especially the contact (?) icons: A player can really tell now how old the contact info is by how faded much easier now, I think.

Anyway, if you want to try it out and give me some feedback, here it is:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31190062/Small%20Icons.zip

Of course, it goes in the "Z" folder.

*edit-ReadMe added

Looks like a v good idea. I d/l it but when I look at the icons am confused as you have British Blue, British Red etc.

Do we have to choose the color we want and paste only the British icons that are red into a separate folder called (say) British Red and then to the Z folder?

A readme would be nice.

Unzip it, and put the folder "Mini Icons" into your Data->Z folder. You don't have to do anything else, the game looks into the "Mini Icons" folder, and chooses the Icon depending on the nationality of the blue and red teams in-game automatically.

edit* If you have another icon mod in the "Z" folder, you should remove it first.

Good idea but I'd tone down the saturation on the colours a bit, make them a fair bit lighter in shade and use black as the central charachter rather than white, they just really glow at night at the moment especially after playing with the mod that makes the icons transparent.

Thanks for the feedback!

Black as a central character doesn't work well because the icons are too small, I think, but they can't be certainly subdued somewhat.

I toned down the infantry icon, but left the others untouched to see a contrasting image:

lzXMl.jpg

I suppose they can be further darkened, but I sort of like the way they stand out as such.

I also have a question: Does anybody know of a good, free bmp editor that can handle 32 bit images? Paint.net only does 24-bit (the 32-bit addon for Paint.net is confusing), and the GIMP is confusing in general.

P.S. It isn't really all that special, but if anybody wants my compass, let me know.

I finally got to understand the strange compass system in CM2. But, I wish they had used something simple like yours from the start.

Weird for a game system that talks about "realism" so much that they had to use a totally unrealistic compass method that made it confusing as to which direction you are looking at esp since the milpro market must be used to looking at RL compasses.

Hope you do similar smaller icons for CMBN btw. I especially like the "Lt. Smash WW2 floating icons". But, it would be great to have em smaller.

These look great. I will download them after work. HintJ, are you a CMBN player? If so would you consider doing mini icons for it?

I only have the demo, but I don't see why that couldn't stop me from making them. Someone might have to send me a copy of the original bmp files first, though.

I don't own CMA either, but I still made a green tracer mod for the demo, and I assume it will work in the full version--I plan to buy CMA next.

Weird for a game system that talks about "realism" so much that they had to use a totally unrealistic compass method that made it confusing as to which direction you are looking at esp since the milpro market must be used to looking at RL compasses.

Yeah, really. Anyone who has used a real compass for any significant length of time will have his/her mind scrambled when first learning the CMSF compass.

Interestingly, I actually have a *semi-realistic* compass for CMSF, but it is somewhat gaudy:

7XCz9.jpg

It appears that the East and West are on the wrong side, but no they aren't! CMSF's compass rotates the wrong way! Anyway, it works.

Great so far HintJ many thanks for your good work. My feedback.

1. Will you extend it to all the mods in CMSF ? eg. the shilka unit

2. Can you adjust the contrast or something to make the difference between unlit and lit icons greater as I find them hard to distinguish in the day ( I have not tried night yet)?

3. Shall interested parties extend a modest contribution to the cost of CMBN so you can work your magic on it ? ;-)

Thanks again

Great so far HintJ many thanks for your good work. My feedback.

1. Will you extend it to all the mods in CMSF ? eg. the shilka unit

2. Can you adjust the contrast or something to make the difference between unlit and lit icons greater as I find them hard to distinguish in the day ( I have not tried night yet)?

3. Shall interested parties extend a modest contribution to the cost of CMBN so you can work your magic on it ? ;-)

Thanks again

(1) Wow! I totally missed the Shilka! The original download link now has a Shilka Icon for Syria. Thanks for catching that.

(2) I'm considering re-doing all the colors for icons, trying to find a balance between day and night. By all means, feel free to make any changes yourself.

(3) Send me the RezElploded icons for CMBN and I'll see what I can do. I can at least use/test them in the demo before I buy.

BTW, I found an little program called PixelFormer that can handle 32 bit bmps for CMx2.

http://www.qualibyte.com/

I have unpacked it but cannot find them. Anyone know where they are?

I went ahead and downloaded another Icon mod to get the BMP names.

Great news! CMBN handles Icons much, much better than CMSF. Although the same resolution, the new game processes the Icons much clearer, allowing for a crisper icon.

EeQfA.jpg

Wolfe has done an awesome set of icons, by the way, but I think mine will have much more of a Chiclet look; I bet they taste like Spearmint:

umfL2.jpg

Icons are not this sharp in CMSF.