Map uploaded: xix_corps_center_4x4km_jul44_no_ai_master

2160x2160 is the maximum you can reach by expanding the map in one direction. If You do the same in the opposite one, You'll obtain a 4x4 map.

I wish BF will allow to expand the map in any direction, as long as the maximum depth or width are not reached. It may seem a detail, but in some case, it would be very helpful.

@sburke

Thank you for the positive feedback on the two battle maps we've played that were based on the master map. I think I will release La Nicollerie as just a map, with the warning that people should play it HTH and not PBEM or it's likely to crash at a certain point.

@The Steppenwulf

A very ambitious but commendable project you've dreamed up -- but with your programming chops I daresay you have a good chance of achieving it. I use Google Earth to get the authentic terrain for my maps. Once you learn how to use jpeg overlays and draw polygons on Google Earth, it's easy to define an area, set contour lines, take a jpeg, and then scale it in a graphics program (I use The Gimp) to 1 pixel per meter. I also use historical maps, wargame maps, and 1947 French aerial photos as semitransparent overlays in Google Earth, just to see how today's landscape and yesterday's maps match up. That, to me, is really one of the most fun parts of mapping -- to flick the transparency slider back and forth, peeling back 60+ years to see what has changed or remained the same in one spot of France.

• 2 years later...

<snipped>

I use Google Earth to get the authentic terrain for my maps. Once you learn how to use jpeg overlays and draw polygons on Google Earth, it's easy to define an area, set contour lines, take a jpeg, and then scale it in a graphics program (I use The Gimp) to 1 pixel per meter. I also use historical maps, wargame maps, and 1947 French aerial photos as semitransparent overlays in Google Earth, just to see how today's landscape and yesterday's maps match up. That, to me, is really one of the most fun parts of mapping -- to flick the transparency slider back and forth, peeling back 60+ years to see what has changed or remained the same in one spot of France.

@Broadsword, What is the URL you use for 1947 French aerial photos? Thx.

Broadsword et al, fyi, at some point soon I'm going to upload my La Meauffe / Le Carillon master (the right/east bank of the Vire plus the fully detailed La Meauffe town submap (the "It's Quiet..." scenario is a sub-submap of it). I might as well do it in the hope of someone has a use for it rather than see my work go to waste, as I don't see a prospect of CMing in the near foreseeable future.

I never did succeed in putting my hands on a copy of the 35th ID battle history; it doesn't seem to exist online and only a few print editions remain in libraries. What a pity it is that the sacrifices of the (mainly) Kansas/Heartland boys of the hard battling 137th Infantry (1600 casualties in 5 days on that map), as well as the nearly 1000 scared kids who shed blood on the other side, which also saw heavy action in the Lorraine will be mainly lost to history, at least until a Joe Balkoski decides to revive it.