How do you manage more than a Compagny in RT?

I've played CMBO back then,

but I've never been a big fan of Turn Based, so I didn't went through but kept following BF, as I always tought they did some real nice games.

So now that they do RT in WW2, I hopped back in

I play since it came out, but I can't really manage more than a compagny or 2

And I only play Small quick battles, as more units than that, I keep getting lost.

I would like to play the campaing and battles but it,s always some bataillon maps.

So any tips?

I can't really manage more than a company or 2

I would like to play the campaing and battles but it,s always some bataillon maps.

So any tips?

Try the Road to Montebourg campaign. 16 battles and hardly ever more than 2 companies of infantry with the occasional minimal armored support to worry about.

One trick is to simply 'not mind' when you miss something. RT takes a different mindset. There's no going back and replaying a shell strike ten times over trying to discover the source of that AT gun. If you missed it you missed it. I can imagine that would drive the 'micromanagement' types crazy. But in compensation you make up in ability to change orders on the fly what you lose in situational awareness. You can't replay the shell strike but you can completely redo everyone's orders two seconds after it occurs. :)

MikeyD's answer is probably best that accepting you'll not see some things.

Here's my simple, but serious answer, on how to play more than company sized engagements in RT.

Don't.

Personally, I find many of the campaigns and scenarios disappointing because of their size. I think with how CMx2 is designed a company or two is really the ideal size with real time. So if you're going to play the campaign, get used to doing things you might not in QB like pausing frequently.

Superior intellect and badass reflexes, lol no.

Like MikeyD said

One trick is to simply 'not mind' when you miss something. RT takes a different mindset.
. You really got to just let go. You have to accept the fog of war and press forward, which is hard to do if you played WEGO for years and years with those great replays.

I always play RT unless I'm playing PBEM games. I regularly play with Battalion sized forces in RT but I do have to make use of pause a lot if I want to get the level of control I really need. I also play at a slower pace and games tend to run a lot longer since each minute doesnt have max action packed in it like WEGO. Sometimes you can also treat some of your extra forces as "in reserve" if possible. This allows you to sit them back and not move them too much until you really need them.

I find that playing with small forces in RT has it's obvious upsides and some downsides too. If you only play RT with a small force, it really affects your ability to employ interesting tactical maneuvers on larger maps and doesn't give you any leeway for mistakes. Casualties can occure so quickly in this game, especially in RT if you are not watching. In my experience, small forces tend to get ground down very quickly in RT and start to become ineffective vs larger forces with reserves.

Personally' date=' I find many of the campaigns and scenarios disappointing because of their size. I think with how CMx2 is designed a company or two is really the ideal size with real time. So if you're going to play the campaign, get used to doing things you might not in QB like pausing frequently.[/quote']

These are my feelings to. Though I don't stop playing a campaign because of big size, I really find it harder to enjoy them when they get close to batallion size. Company level is my cup of tea.

One trick is to simply 'not mind' when you miss something. RT takes a different mindset. There's no going back and replaying a shell strike ten times over trying to discover the source of that AT gun. If you missed it you missed it. I can imagine that would drive the 'micromanagement' types crazy. But in compensation you make up in ability to change orders on the fly what you lose in situational awareness. You can't replay the shell strike but you can completely redo everyone's orders two seconds after it occurs. :)

This is, for me, simultaneously the reason why I think RT play is very cool, and the reason why I don't usually play RT.

From a gameplay perspective, I like the time-pressure and limited information aspects of RT. To my mind, good tactical decision making often isn't about executing a *perfect* plan, it's about executing a good enough plan at the right moment.

However, I don't usually play RT simply because there is no full-game replay feature, so I can't go back and see all the cool stuff I missed.

IOW, I wouldn't mind missing stuff while I'm playing, as long as I can go back after the battle is done, and find out what actually happened, and enjoy all the action from nice, cinematic angles.

If BFC ever does get around to adding a replay feature to RT, I'll probably prefer to play RT except for large scenarios where it's just too unwieldy to manage everything in RT (and I tend to prefer small scenarios anyway). Until then, I stick with WEGO.

Ya gotta kind of have that mindset for WeGo as well, though for different reasons. Watching your StuG go trundling off to it's death because the action point you clicked on was on the opposite side of the hedgerow you were trying to poke your gun through can be quite frustrating. In RT I'd have been able to yell "whoa kimosabee, where the f**k you think you're going?" As it was I could only watch muttering, this isn't going to end well...it didn't.

In another instance I was trying an ambush with an StuG and it went fine except the turn ended with my StuG up against the hedgerow, hadn't fired on my opponent and now they had time before the action started on the next turn to reply. In RT they wouldn't have likely had the opportunity to realize it was there and react.

In either style there are trade offs and you just have to accept control is sometimes a complete illusion. And that makes for a very cool replayable game.

This is, for me, simultaneously the reason why I think RT play is very cool, and the reason why I don't usually play RT.

From a gameplay perspective, I like the time-pressure and limited information aspects of RT. To my mind, good tactical decision making often isn't about executing a *perfect* plan, it's about executing a good enough plan at the right moment.

However, I don't usually play RT simply because there is no full-game replay feature, so I can't go back and see all the cool stuff I missed.

IOW, I wouldn't mind missing stuff while I'm playing, as long as I can go back after the battle is done, and find out what actually happened, and enjoy all the action from nice, cinematic angles.

If BFC ever does get around to adding a replay feature to RT, I'll probably prefer to play RT except for large scenarios where it's just too unwieldy to manage everything in RT (and I tend to prefer small scenarios anyway). Until then, I stick with WEGO.

I agree with this also, RT is fun and I like it also for the same reason. But it still only make sence to me if you have a small amout of units, it comes down to how many units you want to manage playing realtime

yeah, I use the Pause button not enough probly, but it feels to me like cheating,

I def. not have the skills so far to play online, but I know I won,t be able to do it when I'll do!

Yeah for me it's not about missing stuff, it's just to hard to do all the micromanaging about placing your troops at the right place moving in.

I also have a lot of difficulty controling 2 assaults at same time! Especially when those 2 assaults needs to be done in some kind of coordination with each others!

I also have a lot of difficulty controling 2 assaults at same time! Especially when those 2 assaults needs to be done in some kind of coordination with each others!

That's what I'm struggling with and why I'm going to give WeGo another chance. Typically, if I'm assaulting two different objectives with forces on opposite sides of the map I either:

-Leave one of the two forces in place for too long (since I'm focused too much on the other one)

-Allow one of the forces to be annihilated by machine gun or mortar fire because I wasn't paying attention to that part of the map.

As it is, I typically only pause about once a minute anyways, so it's not like I'd be missing much by forgoing RealTime.

RT is well worth it, battles really come alive and you have a sense of the rhythm and flow. You might not have the same ability to know what's happening to all of yours units all the time but you can get a much better feel of how the battle is progressing than WEGO. Large battles do become very difficult to control though I usually try to jump to the areas that need my attention, the AI usually handles itself.