Low Bocage vs Hedge how to tell difference?

Anyone got any Mods or tricks to spot the difference I am old and getting confused and plotting orders through what I think are hedges and then the orders get moved as I guess it must be bocage?

I hope BTS will take heed of the suggestion to see if they can re-plot moves to show the path the unit will take if impassible terrain is found.

Until then I need an easy way to tell the difference. I am hoping someone has a way or a mod to make it easier on the eyes to spot gaps and hedge vs low bocage...

:)

The hedge foliage is thinner, shorter, different colored(mod-dependant i suppose) and as stated above; hedge has a flat base while low bocage has that hump.

The best way to really get used to the difference is to crank up the editor and lay a few of each in rows near each other.

... give me a minute ... :) BRB

Back ...

hedge ...

hedge1.jpg

low bocage ...

hedge2.jpg

combination of the two ...

hedge3.jpg

Once you see them next to each other the differences becomes more apparent.

When a designer doesnt want to give a full break in bocage, a single tile of hedge can work.

I often joke that players tend to raise their camera level to a height where things start to be difficult to make out and cool detail disappears - then they stick with that height to play at! :D I suppose in the 'real world' if you were hovering 30 feet off the ground and 30 feet back you might have difficulty distinuishing low bocage from hedges too. :)

I often joke that players tend to raise their camera level to a height where things start to be difficult to make out and cool detail disappears - then they stick with that height to play at! :D I suppose in the 'real world' if you were hovering 30 feet off the ground and 30 feet back you might have difficulty distinuishing low bocage from hedges too. :)

Haha, classic! :D

As stated, the only effective means to tell them apart is to, well, put them together. Otherwise, you will continually mistake one for the other.

I would willingly load a mod which has hedges shaded a neon orange just to avoid this issue.

You're not the first to hit this problem, and you won't be the last.

Ken

I totally agree: unless I have some of each on the map I'm on, I can't tell which is which, still. I may be getting better, but it's slow, mistakes often.

I haven't looked at "how to mod CMBN" yet myself. Is there some fundamental reason why hedge has to look like bocage? Or does someone just need to get down and do some yellow hedges?

BTW: Is the little berm of low bocage comparable in cover to high bocage, or is low bocage more like a hedge-you-can-go-through?

Once you see them next to each other the differences becomes more apparent.

WOW!

Excellent demonstration of the problem. I look at your first two pictures and I can't tell which is which, yet when you put them together like that it's so obvious.

It's due to scale. Zoom in on a hedge and it looks like low bocage!

GaJ

Please Please Please can any modder do something to help? Maybe make the low berm stand out more in a bright brown colour... S*d the looks I just need to be able to tell gaps and low bocage from hedge....

Too many loses of vehicles and infantry as we play HtH via PBEM. A minute is a long time to watch a vehicle go the wrong way when you think it should be able to drive through a hedge.....

I hope BTS will take heed of the suggestion to see if they can re-plot moves to show the path the unit will take if impassible terrain is found.

Until then I need an easy way to tell the difference. I am hoping someone has a way or a mod to make it easier on the eyes to spot gaps and hedge vs low bocage...

Amen to that.

I opened up the scenario Last Defence in the editor for the purpose of adding earth tiles to the gaps in the long line of low bocage guarding- oddly- the first row of houses facing the assaulting Germans. I then discovered that there were NO gaps in the bocage, effectively channelling the demo charge lacking Germs into two implausible kill sacks. In the next version the maker/adapter might consider turning the bocage into hedge tiles.

I opened up the scenario Last Defence in the editor for the purpose of adding earth tiles to the gaps in the long line of low bocage guarding- oddly- the first row of houses facing the assaulting Germans. I then discovered that there were NO gaps in the bocage, effectively channelling the demo charge lacking Germs into two implausible kill sacks. In the next version the maker/adapter might consider turning the bocage into hedge tiles.

Spoiler alert...

Childress I have already been in touch with Mark Ezra and it won't be changed...

His comments..... "Looked at the map: Yes...the east-west road does have a low bocage tile and was used to allow a bit of infantry protection and mildly constrain vehicles... there is plenty of access along the roads and through the forest."

We are at the hands of the designers and I hope by keep raising the issue they might take note and we might get a mod if some one is kind enough to help out...