Missing Mortar Man

... and where exactly is this unit anyhow:

CM Normandy 2011-08-07 17-24-32-31.jpg

This is a 4-man mortar squad, but I can only find 3 of the men. Also, the location of the squad is curiously (not massively) dislocated from where the 3 men are.

This is not the first time I've seen it, but it's the first time it's been so clear: see how the unit icon is above the centre of the covered arc, but the 3 men are off to the left side.

(The other men in this picture are definitely not part of this unit)

GaJ

... and where exactly is this unit anyhow:

CM Normandy 2011-08-07 17-24-32-31.jpg

This is a 4-man mortar squad, but I can only find 3 of the men. Also, the location of the squad is curiously (not massively) dislocated from where the 3 men are.

This is not the first time I've seen it, but it's the first time it's been so clear: see how the unit icon is above the centre of the covered arc, but the 3 men are off to the left side.

(The other men in this picture are definitely not part of this unit)

GaJ

The missing man is somewhere the other side of the 'dislocated' icon. I've seen teams split up by quite some distance. Wierd pathing and sometimes morale effects can cause it. Give the unit a move order and usually, it'll reform.

This mat chess something I had yesterday. One of my mortarmen left the team and ran into the corner of the map. The results were much the same as your screenshot. Try and track him down running to a corner. My guy eventually tried to come back but was so tired he had to crawl. I don't think it affected the mortar team, not sure though.

Possible reasons for this behavior...

He was running to that cute French girl he met two villages back.

Got fed up lugging mortar rounds across Europe, and just quit.

Was lonely and heard the love call of a sheep.

Glimpsed a Winery off in the distance and thought no one would miss him.

Looked at who was directing the mission and decided to take a break. :D (j/k)

---

There is no telling how detailed BFC went with behavior modeling.