Repository - Clarify campaign's and scenario's

I remember when downloading missions for the old CMBO that it would list how many missions were in the said scenario / campaign.

It is difficult to summise what is what without having to click endlessly on each uploaded mission to see if it is what you are after.

Below is what we see now...

Submitted On: 22 Jun 2011

File Size: 4,471.88 Kb

Downloads: 493

Rating:

Total Votes:8

File Version: 1.1

File Author: Crushingleeek

Whereas we should have in addition to this...

Type : Campaign/Scenario

Number of battles/engagement/days

Unit Size: Platoon, Company, Battalion

I could go on... It just makes it alot quicker to sort through and find what you are after rather than having to click on each one.

I prefer campaigns, so filtering out single engagements would be great.

Incidentally...has anyone made a new German Campaign?

+1 to all of this. I prefer campaigns over standalone scenarios and its a real pain to find them. Especially as the repository fills up. Just look at CMSF, there are maybe a dozen user made campaigns but unless you know the exact names it would take hours to sift through there and find them all.

I have been wondering the lack of campaign / scenario information from the day 1 since I started to play SF... Shouldn't be too hard to add that info to the file list.

Or if it is hard and wont' happen, then campaign authors should name the campaigns so that they are easier to recognise. That shouldn't be very hard either :)

Can I suggest using the Wikia link in my sig. As you can see there is a link to a spreadsheet for the original games provided by ? [i am going to have to give credit to him asap as I recall who cos he has been modest.]

The Wikia is unowned so available for all to make it the place for information that BF does not supply and we need. So if someone would like to od a Google spreadsheet for campaigns .....

It's funny that people bitch and moan about the BFC repository, yet when, separately, Gary and I each offered to provide an improved service at our sites there was more or less silence. I guess people just like to moan?

GaJ

Actually,I am a Member of your site.Love the way you have it set up.Makes it so much easier to figure out what I am getting.Wish the Repository was set up the same way.You guys do an awesome job.It even asks me if I am sure that is the one I want with a little Picture.Great feature.I suggest the GAJ site to everyone.

It's funny that people bitch and moan about the BFC repository, yet when, separately, Gary and I each offered to provide an improved service at our sites there was more or less silence. I guess people just like to moan?

GaJ

Hello GreenAsJade, I think that it would be great if your site and Garys site would offer this service. I for one only use the Repository as a last resort. The Repository, to me, is a maze and with the background is a strain on the eyes. I go to your site first when I am looking for a mod or scenario and if Gary offered the same service for CMN I would also use his site.:)

I'm the opposite: I go to the repository first, THEN I go to GaJ's site. (Another kudo: GaJ, well done and thank you; To the rest, if you aren't a member, go give it a look. GaJ has done some excellent work!)

I would enjoy more criteria and using a "check box" form to find what I'd like.

In short, yeah, the repository could be a lot more user-friendly (as could the in-game scenario listing).

Ken

I agree. UI in general is not BFC's strongest suit. But they make great games - can't have everything, I guess.

Is it everything or just part of making playing their games as enjoyable [and commercially attractive] as possible.?

BTW CMMODs, and the Scenario Depot, are funded organised by a fan - I have given to both and it I don't grudge the great service they provide. I just have the slightest niggling feeling that BF relies on enthusiasts to provide extra functionality. Perhaps they let them have freebies.

BFC's business model is certainly not based on making their games as commercially attractive as possible, instead it is based heavily on a fan-base that is relatively steadfast in sticking with BFC's products despite their weaknesses (which they most definitely have a few of in my book). I regard myself a member of this fan base. However, despite the fact that I like CMBN, as far as I am concerned I would hope that BFC slow down their 'pushing the envelope' mentality regarding 'engine features' and 'realism' of the CM series in favor of more time spent on analyzing and improving what they already have in terms of user friendliness (GUI and customizability of the interface and game options, presentation and management of save games/battles, editor functionality, etc. etc.) as well as actually implementing the features they advertise so that they work properly and consistently under common and less common circumstances (see threads about spotting, foxholes, bridges etc. etc.). Also in terms of making the game accessible to more folks in more ways (RT MP pause, TCP/IP WeGo, coop MP, in-game PBEM management etc. etc.). The only actual feature I want at this point is AI triggers. Everything else I find lacking is actually there, it just isn't implemented/made accessible in very useful ways.

If they actually let enthusiasts provide extra functionality (moddability of rulesets, behaviours, etc.) instead of just extra content (graphics and sound), that would also be a step in the right direction.

These are the things that will have the greatest influence on my decision to buy when the next CM main title shows up. More than the content (units, terrain, etc.).

My 0.02...