Screen Resolution and Camera Scroll Speed

Hi,

I was thinking of picking up the latest Combat Mission however it claims to support my desktop resolution and it doesn't work. I have edited the display file and that doesn't work either and when it runs it overwrites the values in the file by placing a zero in the fields it doesn't like. I have tried a couple different settings to try and force my resolution and it makes no difference.

I have my desktop set at 1168 x 664 x 60 HZ when the game displace it cuts off half the compass and the bottom/side part of the screen making it impossible to see the command menu's completely. I am using a television as a monitor. Most games handle it ok but I have seen other strategy games do the same thing.

I tried running in 800x600 to just to see if it would take the low width value but really doesn't seem to like it. 1168 x 664 is the only way my desktop displays properly on the TV where i can read it. I have the Theater of War series and I don't play them for the same reason and unfortunately I found this out AFTER buying them.

As far as the camera scroll speed is there a way to speed this up as it is way to slow & cludgy for my liking

Any help appreciated. As I said if I can resolve this I will probably pick the game up but no dice otherwise.

thanks

SSPL

Thanks for replying. No there is no aspect ratio on my TV unfortunately. It seems to me there has to be a check being done in the code to look for specific values or minimum values since it is overwriting values in the file it doesn't like. I am hoping they are going to address this or offer another workaround. Was having a decent time in the demo but it was frustrating not being able to see and use all the menu options.

When you say it doesn't like the 800 x 600, what happens? Also, humor me and set the display.txt file to your tv resolution but with a refresh rate of 59 instead of 60 to see if that changes anything. Im not optimistic but working on a hunch. Off to dinner now, will check back in a few hours.

When I set it to 800 x 600 it wipes out the first to values to zero

so I enter 800 600 60 and it replaces it with 0 0 60

when I enter 1168 668 60 it replaces it with 1168 0 0

when I tried 1168 664 60 (sometimes I can use this setting as well and it looks better) it replaces it with 1168 0 0

I will give the 59 a shot and get back with you shortly

thx for the help

Thanks for replying. No there is no aspect ratio on my TV unfortunately. It seems to me there has to be a check being done in the code to look for specific values or minimum values since it is overwriting values in the file it doesn't like. I am hoping they are going to address this or offer another workaround. Was having a decent time in the demo but it was frustrating not being able to see and use all the menu options.

TVs as standard drop the outer 5% or so of an image. Discovered this only the other day when I switched from a VGA cable to HDMI to connect my TV/monitor. Even if you adjust your desktop to fit, games may still run in to this.

Most TVs should be able to be set to display the entire area but it is probably tucked away in the obscurer parts of the menus and might not be obviously labelled as such. I urge you to check again. The PC+TV combo makes this a very likely cause of your issue.

I am running a GTX 460 SE. I ran into the same problem with my 8800 as well. I have seen it happen before so I agree I think it is the PC/TV combo but I have seen other games do it correctly so I know it can be handled with code. Most games seem to handle it OK. I ran into the same problem on some of the versions of Civilization and some of Total War. It's annoying to say the least as there are games I definitely can't play. Due to neck problems this is the only way I can be on the PC though.

I will have a look at the TV again tomorrow and see if I can locate the manual. Maybe there is some way to get at the aspect setting as was mentioned. It isn't coming up readily though that is for sure :(

thanks for all the help guys. The demo definitely brought back some nostalgia

I believe the minimum resolution for CMBN is 1024 x 768. So a vertical resolution lower than '768' would probably result in the cropping that you're seeing. I don't think any future patches will change this.

I'm not sure what resolutions to use for TV output (which can vary depending on what your TV is capable of). With the '768' minimum vertical resolution it would look like only full HDTV (1920 x 1080) would show the entire vertical resolution of the game. However it appears that some TV's display processors can drop some of the 'scan lines' to reduce an image to fit on the screen (essentially, artificially reducing the vertical resolution).

As Freyland pointed out, the 1.01 patch did address some keyboard scroll speed issues. However it sounds like you're running the Demo and that has not been updated to 1.01 yet (I don't know exactly when it will either, possibly more than a month from now).

I am actually getting cropping in both directions. It seems like it is trying to render larger than the TV is capable of displaying. It seems like I am losing probably maybe 5-10% of the screen. Just enough to mess things up.

Glad to hear they have adjusted the scrolling that will be a big help. Hopefully I can get this resolved as well.

I am actually getting cropping in both directions. It seems like it is trying to render larger than the TV is capable of displaying. It seems like I am losing probably maybe 5-10% of the screen. Just enough to mess things up.

Yup, that is what you ought to be seeing if I am correct. Look for something in the TV options menu that may be called overscan, though the term used varies per manufacturer.

You wouldn't happen to be able to connect the PC to the TV with a DVI or VGA plug instead, would you? That might solve it too.

And if all else fails you might wanna try 1366x768

I am connected using HDMI but it did it on the last vid card (8800) with DVI as well. I was actually hoping the HDMI would fix it but no luck. Also no luck finding anyway to change aspect ratio. I have one menu type button and the settings are EXTREMELY limited. This wasn't a high end TV but it does the job for the most part.

It's not necessarily 'aspect ratio', though that may be the closest setting some TVs have to adjust this display characteristic. It's actually an ability to control the overscan / underscan, which few TVs will probably have (and as pointed out it may be called something else). Televisions typically crop out a bit of the image in the horizontal and vertical, because TV signals often don't utilize the entire resolution. At least that was the common case with NTSC and PAL. If a TV were to display the entire standard resolution, you would see most likely see junk/black space on all sides of the image. With ATSC (HDTV) I'm not sure how much of the resolution may get utilized, but quite possibly all of it (1920 x 1080 for full HDTV). Anything below full HDTV may result in some sort of 'clipping' of the image.

Is there anything called like 'true' or 'full' resolution for your HDMI input ? What brand and model of TV do you have ?

The Nvidia Control Panel has (or used to have) some capability in this area of underscan and overscan. I'm not sure if current drivers have this capability with HDMI or not. Another possible thing to check is 'handshake', turn on the TV monitor first BEFORE turning on the computer. Hopefully the video card and the TV will 'negotiate' and figure out the settings that can be used (though if this didn't happen you would usually get a black screen).

I am sorry we were not able to help towards a better result.

What resolution did you manage to end up with? It strikes me as odd that it would be very much smaller. Have you tried any of the ones mentioned here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDTV#High-definition_display_resolutions

Maybe something bigger amongst those that might work.

Did you try nVidias latest drivers? The control panel has an over/under scan feature you might want to try.