How are foxholes and trenches placed?

When I try to place German foxholes and trenches on the map in Busting the Bocage, I can't precisely place them. For example, I want some foxholes very near the intersection of two hedgerows and in the field of my choice. As the placement cursor nears the hedgerow, it changes to its disallowed state. When I move the cursor away, it changes to its allowed state. Fine. I click and the foxholes appear yards away from where I wanted them. (Frequently the foxholes don't move at all when I try to adjust their positions unless I make a big adjustment of 20 yards or so.)

Are map foxholes and trenches just an abstraction showing that the protective value of the terrain has been increased by some amount in that general area? Does the game automatically place the foxholes and trenches in locations it considers optimal? And how does it determine what's optimal?

I seem to have to place my troops deliberately in foxholes and trenches. Are their fighting capabilities diminished by being in them because of reduced vision or enhanced because of the added protection? Will troops near foxholes and trenches and receiving fire normally jump into them, unless discombobulated by realistic die rolls? Will conscripts freeze in the open under fire while veterans quickly jump into foxholes and trenches, or will conscripts flee into the fs and ts while veterans hold their ground and return fire? Or are the reactions to fire of both conscripts and veterans just a matter of chance?

I won't try to answer all your questions, but I believe the following to be true:

Hedgerows run thru the center of an action spot. Foxholes and trenches run thru or sit on the center of an action spot. It is therefore not possible to put foxholes or trenches in the same action spot as a hedgerow (though I did discover it was possible in the scenario editor to put a hedgerow on top of a trench or a foxhole). So, they are going to be at least 8m apart.

I won't try to answer all your questions, but I believe the following to be true:

Hedgerows run thru the center of an action spot. Foxholes and trenches run thru or sit on the center of an action spot. It is therefore not possible to put foxholes or trenches in the same action spot as a hedgerow (though I did discover it was possible in the scenario editor to put a hedgerow on top of a trench or a foxhole). So, they are going to be at least 8m apart.

When you put a hedgerow on top of a trench or foxhole, will the trench or foxhole still work OK and be occupiable? Does placing it this way look better and/or does it offer any additional cover/concealment? Will the holes sit within or behind the hedgerow, or will some poke out in front of it and expose the men in it?

Foxholes are slaved to the underlying grid. It was more important to get the troops to react to the action square grid in the proper fashion than to shoot for aestetic niceties. Actions squares rule the game.

About trenches. You need to snap more than just one to get them to change angles, BUT a recent development with the patch is after you've aligned a pair you can now remove one of the trench lines and it will keep its orientation. That means single trench sections between buildings is now doable... I think.

When you put a hedgerow on top of a trench or foxhole, will the trench or foxhole still work OK and be occupiable? Does placing it this way look better and/or does it offer any additional cover/concealment? Will the holes sit within or behind the hedgerow, or will some poke out in front of it and expose the men in it?

I discovered this quirk while trying to figure out how to get realistic concealment/cover with the hedgerows. Foxholes didn't work, I think for the reasons you guess. For a time, I thought putting trenches under the hedgerow would work even though the graphics were compromised, but it didn't. In that case, it just seemed that the concealment/cover attributes weren't additive, but I can't be sure of course how the game engine was reacting to this combination.

• 3 years later...
About trenches. You need to snap more than just one to get them to change angles, BUT a recent development with the patch is after you've aligned a pair you can now remove one of the trench lines and it will keep its orientation. That means single trench sections between buildings is now doable... I think.

After applying the 3.0 patch to CMBN (MikeyD's post was from back in 2011 and is referring to an earlier patch), I found that the orientation of individual trenches would revert back to E-W after an adjacent trench was removed.

Does anyone else see this behavior?