Terrain Mod (WIP)

Flesh

Hi all, just thought I'd let you know that I'm currently working on "Version 2" of my "Subdued" terrain mod.

Here's the link for a preview/beta/WIP version if anybody would like to try it out.

Flesh_Subdued_Terrain_V2.rar

Note: the above link is to a RAR archive file hosted on my Fileserve account. I don't want to upload this to the repository until it's finished.

Anyway, onto the screenies.

--------------------------------------

cmnormandy2011072322181.jpg

cmnormandy2011072322202.jpg

cmnormandy2011072322221.jpg

cmnormandy2011072322235.jpg

cmnormandy2011072322261.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The screens look very nice, but could you say - what was modified in comparison with stock CMBN ? What should I look at, to compare ? I'm not a good observer :), sorry :).

Okay. :)

The following ground/terrain textures are the ones I have modified so far:

ground brush

ground cliff

ground dirt ploughed ew

ground dirt ploughed ns

ground dirt red

ground dirt road

ground dirt

ground forest floor

ground grain

ground grass yellow

ground grass

ground gravel

ground green crop

ground hard

ground marsh

ground mud

ground rocky red

ground rocky

ground sand

Also, the hedges, bocage, trees and foliage "doodads" were desaturated.

+1 on the mod -- excellent work! Is there any way you can combine it with the recent (and outstanding) walls mod, so that I don't have to go back into rezexplode, etc., and manually add them together in the roads and terrain files?

-2 on the road stripes -- they look suspiciously American, and even if they were correct for Normandy 1940 in theory, I think in reality things like pavement-painting would have lagged or stopped happening altogether by this point in the war. They look better in your mod than the 2011 streets in my town!

Very nice. But I am skeptical about the painted lines on the highway in Normandy. Even in parts of the US the white lines on the margins didn't begin appearing until ten years later.

Michael

The lines definitely weren't there. I currently try to find out how many of the roads actually were paved. Looking at photos I see a lot of unpaved roads. Does anybody know how much of the Route Nationales and of the Departementales acutally were paved?

Nice looking. It does strike me even now from the comments that peoples gamma settings may be darker than mine!

ME is right about the road markings. My gut reaction is it is unlikely for margins and centre : ) However I suspect I am wrong ... things where am I going to get that info!.

I can tell you that the first centre white lines do date back many centuries. Anyone want to guess where? : )

+1 on the mod -- excellent work! Is there any way you can combine it with the recent (and outstanding) walls mod, so that I don't have to go back into rezexplode, etc., and manually add them together in the roads and terrain files?...

I haven't modified the wall textures, so my terrain mod can be freely combined with Juju's wall mod. I'm currently using his mod myself and it works quite well in combination with mine. :)

BTW with regard to the paved road textures in the screenie - those are the CMSF paved road textures.

I haven't modified the paved road textures and they are not part of my mod. If you want them you can either copy them over from your installation of CMSF or download them from the repository.

Tried the mod -- Good job for the most part, and I appreciate the effort. I really like the darker grass and vegetation, but to my taste now the crop fields are so light they look sandy. This also makes the terrain underneath some tall grass fields look stragely light-colored. Something just seems off about the dirt and field colors. Also, the unpleasant moire patterns and shimmer of crop rows are back. I may have to go to something else. But thank you for this mod. I'll try it again if a new version comes out.