So who here is enjoying this?

Well that doesn't sound like much fun, you should really take your licks, come back swinging - it will be much more gratifying than tearing your hair out and interrupting the battle for several minutes if one of your gunners treads on a mine or a platoon leader is killed by a bullet ricocheting off a tank.

Too true. I wasted years reloading in pursuit of the perfect run until I realized that no victory is more sweet than the one won by forcing your way through both highs and lows. Not to mention all the lessons lost when there is no cost attached to failure.

M.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still in "Giddy Child at Xmas" mode. As far as I am concerned, this is the best thing since sliced bread and square lunch meat for my gaming dollar ... and I am still just making maps and scenarios. :D Haven't had the time/inclination to play much, unless scenario author mode counts.

The small quibbles and gripes that I share with others are just that ... barely noticeable because I know Steve&Co got my back. If it needs tweaking/fixing, they are on it.

I own CMBO, CMBB, CMAK and now CMBN(Harpoon fulfills my modern needs). At least one has been on almost every hard drive I own since CMBO came out. Just because I haven't posted/signed up during long lapses, doesn't neccesarily mean I am a 'lost' customer. ;)

Danke for the quick patch.

Bring on the Modules, my pre-order money is waiting.

Guess I wont get any tougher scenarios at this rate :(

I actually wished i lost more than i do.

Like Johnny eluded to. Its a case akin to chasing the dragon. But what came to my mind after reading your post was your nose being WIDE open on you first piece. It was your first time experiencing anything like that and it was amazing. You can easily get more from a host of girls, but you don't' think to go experience it. Cheer up!. I had a case of that back in the 90s when i was faster twitched, going from quake 1 to 2. Quake 2 online multi-player never had my heart like 1 did. It wasn't even lessor of a game but it didn't have the same charm Quake 1 had. I think its the Charm factor. Stop treating the game like a bastard child your "husband" brought home.

Just out of curiosity, for folks out there really not happy with the C&C set up, the UI and lack of targetting info, do you play WeGO or RTS?

I play Wego myself and spend so much time reviewing action anyway as that is one of the big draws in the game for me, that most of the C&C and targetting info just kind of comes naturally. I am already spending an inordinate amount of time looking at what is going on for each unit.

Since I play only WEGO, I am somewhat in the same camp. Once the action really gets going, I may spend a couple of hours on each turn. Most of that time is devoted to reviewing the action phase again and again and again. In fact, that is where most of the fun lies for me. I'll get down behind a German unit and watch it get blown to hell by some good ol' Merkin HE. Or I'll check out one of my units that is under fire and try to figure out where the fire is coming from. I love that.

In the orders phase, I only occasionally give targeting orders as most of the time the AI does a better job of controlling fire. I haven't found it especially difficult to keep my units under command as long as I don't forget to move my HQs up. I have yet to see a whole lot of difference in how units perform when in or out of command. I take it on faith that there is a difference, I just haven't observed it yet.

Michael

I hate, hate, hate the C&C system and really miss the red/black lines from CMx1.

I played one of the CMx1 Demos from the earlier titles about 8 years ago, after I had been hooked on IL2 for a year or two. Although two different types of sims of course, the CMx1 graphics quality was too jarring in comparison. But the other thing that turned me off were the command lines. I felt like I was Kurt Russell in the dog pen in "The Thing". So I never gave the game play a chance. My loss, it sounds like, since there are so many fans even now. I'm not making that mistake twice!

As someone who moved directly from CM1 to CMBN, I agree with some of the posters that note that I am in a group which may initially have problems adapting (but, as my sig shows, I am an enthusiast for CMBN)

There is something, realistic, about the feel of CMBN which is due to the 1:1 representation, and the less probabalistic calculation of injury/loses. I am still trying to put my finger on it, but the result seems to be a much higher casualty rate, at least for the attacker.

This comes, I think, from the CMBN world that if you can't hit something, you can't hit it--pouring more firepower on the target is of no help.

So we have this: German unit behind some bocage. I have 2 allied squads pouring fire into the german unit area. Maybe for a couple of minutes. Then I run an Assault team at the german unit, and they all get killed/casualtied in one burst of enemy fire.....because...if just one of the german soldiers remains unsuppressed with an automatic rife or some grenades to clobber many soldiers running across a field.

Realistic.

By playing CM1 so much, I had a sense of how long it took to "whittle down" an enemy unit, such that it fled or was ineffective. I don't have that, yet, in CMBN. In "University" (Courage and Fortitude), I spent 2 minutes with a MG directly hammering an AT gun. I could see the bullets bouncing off the AT gun shield (Cool!). Maybe I then left it alone for a turn. In CM1 I can't remember any AT surviving such a blasting. But in a turn or 2, it let out a blast, and completely destroyed a squad moving down a road between some bocage.

Probably not an unrealistic possibility.

But, geez, "guess I ain't in CM1 anymore", I muttered to the screen.

The, what seems to be to me, much more lethal small-stuff artillery was another jolt. (The seemingly ineffective foxholes--maybe changed with the patch?--was a "pleasant" surprise as the attacker.)

I am learning to Hide more (just letting an infantry unit move, and then stop in a kneeling position seems to be suicidal), go slower, and split squads a lot (scout teams are great, but then I end up with a lot of squads missing two soldiers.

So, for some people, some of the issue may a change in what they had thought with normal tactics, some of it may be the bocage (Allied troops did not like it then, for a reason), some may be the very tough (for some of use) C and F campaign--which could have a "Minen!" warning or something on it, some may be the infantry heavy nature of what I have seen so far--in 44 there seems to be a swarm of AT and infantry AT stuff around, such that my AFVs always seem more hunted than hunter.

But, technically, this seems like a very polished game, and in a year it is likely....or, later, when we get T34s on the steppes....all this will be forgotten, and we can go back to arguing if the exhaust pipe on a Tiger with certain unit markings is correct (with people posting pictures and translations from german wartime maintenance records to make their point.)

I do not know who is shooting at who, who is targetting who, whether one type of building offers better protection than another, to what degree units not in C&C are being affected, is that a hedge or low bocage and exactly why my artillery is so much off target, to name a few.

There are all real enjoyment-dampners that I have too.

So is the difficulty/twitchiness of controlling the viewing.

As is the difficulty of winning. I discovered (thx to Sgt Josh) that partly that this is because actually the tactics needed are WAY DIFFERENT.

CMBN is ALL ABOUT getting you artillery to land on his stuff. That's IT. Arty is soooo much more powerful now, it's unbelievable.

I used to scoff at 61mm mortars in CMx1, and wonder how to avoid getting them or what to do with them. In CMBN _any_mortar is deadly.

In CMx1 I used to hide mortars and use indirect fire at all times. In CMBN, the best way to use mortars is direct fire: they are quick and deadly. Feels unrealistic to me... maybe my expectations are just built from years of the opposite gaming experience.

So you use your troops to carefully scout out where his is, try to trick him into staying there, and bomb the heck out of him. Now that I've started to do this, I'm doing better.

It's not massively improving my enjoyment, though, because it feels less realistic. I'm hoping that the patch arty improvements will redress this somewhat.

GaJ

Since I play only WEGO, I am somewhat in the same camp. Once the action really gets going, I may spend a couple of hours on each turn. Most of that time is devoted to reviewing the action phase again and again and again. In fact, that is where most of the fun lies for me. I'll get down behind a German unit and watch it get blown to hell by some good ol' Merkin HE. Or I'll check out one of my units that is under fire and try to figure out where the fire is coming from. I love that.

In the orders phase, I only occasionally give targeting orders as most of the time the AI does a better job of controlling fire. I haven't found it especially difficult to keep my units under command as long as I don't forget to move my HQs up. I have yet to see a whole lot of difference in how units perform when in or out of command. I take it on faith that there is a difference, I just haven't observed it yet.

Michael

I have a similar style to this. I am also finding that letting the AI pick targets, particularly for my MGs, seems to be better than "targeting". The AI seems to see targets in a WEGO turn better than I could, and will move fire around if a target, perhaps, hides--which is a smart thing for it to do.

Back to the CM1 to CM2 thing, I seem to worry more about ammo than I did in CM1. Not sure why....longer scenarios? In CM1 I would sometimes just expend the unit's ammo, and then pull it out of the line, but I find that I don't want to do that here. I don't like being so worried about ammo, so I am just going to have to get over that.

As for new elements: the Acquire, in my opinion, is brilliant. Jeeps and trucks now have a use. I am less (I realize others will markedly disagree) keen on the Buddy Aid. I find it is a distraction, and don't really enjoy it. Too cute. Too much like a StimPack. But maybe it will grow on me.

There are all real enjoyment-dampners that I have too.

As is the difficulty of winning. I discovered (thx to Sgt Josh) that partly that this is because actually the tactics needed are WAY DIFFERENT.

CMBN is ALL ABOUT getting you artillery to land on his stuff. That's IT. Arty is soooo much more powerful now, it's unbelievable.

I used to scoff at 61mm mortars in CMx1, and wonder how to avoid getting them or what to do with them. In CMBN _any_mortar is deadly.

In CMx1 I used to hide mortars and use indirect fire at all times. In CMBN, the best way to use mortars is direct fire: they are quick and deadly. Feels unrealistic to me... maybe my expectations are just built from years of the opposite gaming experience.

So you use your troops to carefully scout out where his is, try to trick him into staying there, and bomb the heck out of him. Now that I've started to do this, I'm doing better.

GaJ

Yes, yes. Part of why I had so much trouble with Ridge in the C and F campaign is that I don't think I've learned to use my artillery correctly, or to avoid enemy artillery. I have never used my mortars direct fire, so I clearly need to learn that. That being said, I can't remember a CM1 scenario (or Squad/Panzer Leader, or ASL, or CC) where I spent so much time, as I do with some CM2 scenarios, thinking how I could win without hardly using troops and only using artillery.

Again, perhaps realistic. Some high percentage of casualties in WW2 were from artillery?

But takes some getting used to.

As for new elements: the Acquire, in my opinion, is brilliant. Jeeps and trucks now have a use. I am less (I realize others will markedly disagree) keen on the Buddy Aid. I find it is a distraction, and don't really enjoy it. Too cute. Too much like a StimPack. But maybe it will grow on me.

Think of buddy aid then as a variant. I was able to use it to get a Pshk back into action that then took out one enemy tank and disabled another. There really is a use sometimes for that tag along guy with the AT gunner. :D

I am still hooked on the CMx1 series after all these years. I have purchased CMBN and CMSF (which i never really got into, modern era and such).

Something about CMAK/CMETO and CMBB that keeps me coming back.

I am going to give the new patch whirl this weekend and see if this drastically changes my mind.

I do like CMBN, i am sure i will buy every module. I really look forward to the mods / scenarios for North Africa and Italy.

The Russian theater will be the most anticipated theatre that i am looking forward to trying out.

Until then i will be tackling this new engine slowly, with frequent stops in CMx1 land in between.

Maybe you CMx1 addicts should try another approach to CMBN: Rather than using your CMx1 tactics, try to imagine that you are there on the ground. Play as if you actually know the guys you are sending into combat. You will have to write those letters to their Moms and Dads (if you survive). Try to use your forces as you would in real life, not as you would in CMx1. It's a different game with different quirks, different commands, different engine, etc. Use your bean to figure out how you are going to flank someone or move up on them without dying. Being stuck in the same routine of spotting and shooting artillery would make the game pretty boring to me too.

Also, I'd like to remind some of you who are afraid of Realtime that there is a Pause button. So, it's not really a wild click-fest, at least in single player, since you can literally pause multiple times per second. You have all the time in the world to micromanage 'til your heart's content. I rarely play in WEGO mode because I feel like I lose control every minute. Since the action in game time would not include pauses, it's like you get one microsecond of control for every minute of action. Just my opinion.

What I really am looking forward to the most is seeing what CMx3 has in store for us! A UI revamp would be the first thing on my list of things I'd love to have. I'll be here with BFC for years to come (hopefully), so it's just a matter of time. :)

Maybe you CMx1 addicts should try another approach to CMBN: Rather than using your CMx1 tactics, try to imagine that you are there on the ground. Play as if you actually know the guys you are sending into combat. You will have to write those letters to their Moms and Dads (if you survive). Try to use your forces as you would in real life, not as you would in CMx1. It's a different game with different quirks, different commands, different engine, etc. Use your bean to figure out how you are going to flank someone or move up on them without dying. Being stuck in the same routine of spotting and shooting artillery would make the game pretty boring to me too.

Also, I'd like to remind some of you who are afraid of Realtime that there is a Pause button. So, it's not really a wild click-fest, at least in single player, since you can literally pause multiple times per second. You have all the time in the world to micromanage 'til your heart's content. I rarely play in WEGO mode because I feel like I lose control every minute. Since the action in game time would not include pauses, it's like you get one microsecond of control for every minute of action. Just my opinion.

Absolutely true on both points, also, I play RT without pause in SP and very rarely get a situation arising where I can't properly control my units. I usually play small or tiny, sometimes on medium.

Maybe you CMx1 addicts should try another approach to CMBN: Rather than using your CMx1 tactics, try to imagine that you are there on the ground. Play as if you actually know the guys you are sending into combat.

I don't think that this is the problem - I don't think that a change of perspective is what's needed. In fact, the "great thing" about CMx1 was that it was so realistic that real "on the ground" tactics supposedly were the ones to use, and indeed that is what it feels like. I care about writing home about every CMx1 dude that I loose, just like CMBN.

The problem is getting used to what it means to be "on the ground" in this new alternate reality where (amongst other things) artillery is so much more dominating. It wasn't "get close to the ground" that helped me over the "difficulty" hurdle, it was someone saying to me "it's all about artillery, stoopid".

GaJ

Back for a few jumbled together responses :D

I've tried to put the false perceptions of CMBB's relative importance to Battlefront, and Combat Mission, to rest many times before. I always preface it by saying I am an Eastern Front grog first and foremost. I am the one that insisted on making the most realistic portrayal of the Axis Minors of any game ever made. And had to suffer through the utter lack of research materials! I also LOVED playing scenarios that had me in command of the Axis Minors (except the Finns... who can enjoy playing with those pasty white, vowel spewing, vodka swilling, AT toothpick wielding warriors? ;)).

But that doesn't change the fact that CMBB sold a ton less than CMBO. And it wasn't because of a lack of marketing, the demo, or any of the other conspiracy theories spun by ill informed East Front wargaming zealots. The fact is it was a sequel (they always sell less) and it didn't have Americans in it. Argue until your faces are blue, but the truth is this matters.

CMBB, however, is the CMx1 game with the most fanatical following (hence the many conspiracy theories). Many Western Front gamers are more casual about wargaming, which is about the opposite when it comes to the Eastern Front. Therefore, as the years dragged on the number of people playing CMBB compared to CMBO and CMAK is way out of proportion to the sales. I would say there is likely more CMBB players still chugging away than either CMBO or CMAK, and probably more CMAK than CMBO.

Next...

Plenty of wargamers hated CMx1 and still hate CMx2. With a passion. It doesn't mean the games are in a some way definitive, unarguable way deficient. It simply means that someone didn't find what they were looking for in them. The same will happen with every CMx2 release we make. The fact that someone loved CMx1 doesn't mean much because CMx2 isn't CMx1. Similar? Absolutely, what with the same people making it with the same underlying philosophies. But different enough to attract new customers does mean different enough to turn off some of the older customers. Can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs, as they say.

I think the best advice is to not chase the dragon, as you guys are putting it. Do that and the fun will likely drain away. And forget about ever being able to play in RT, not to mention winning :)

With this in mind, our plan is to address what can be addressed for those of you CMx1 guys that are still on the fence. Maybe a few UI tweaks, an extra option or two, will do it for you. Maybe it will take a few more Modules out there. Whatever the case may be, we haven't written you guys off. For those of you who have decided CMx2 isn't the game system for you, firmly, then I doubt there is anything we can do or say to change your minds... and so we won't try.

CMx2 is an evolutionary process. It will always move forward. Customers have the choice to come along for the ride, hop on later, or find something else to scratch the wargame itch. Which is as it should be.

Steve

I'm currently playing my first force-selected QB pbem. I set it up as a medium attack/defend engagement on a large map. I am the attacker. I have played all flavors of CM except CMA. I am currently bemoaning the trees... This is pretty funny because all during the CMSF years I've been day dreaming about how great it would be to get back to the European countryside in a WW2 setting.

Well, on the map I'm playing the combination of orchards and bocage coupled with a crafty opponent has me going crazy. Most of the time, initially, I have no idea who is firing on my guys or from where. Over time the troops get enough situational awareness to find the enemy, but time it takes can also be time used by the enemy's artillery spotters. Incedentally, command lines wouldn't help because of the foliage. When I turn the trees off I have a tendency to forget that I've turned them off (I actually thought there was a LOS bug when I started a new pbem with another buddy and didn't realized my guys couldn't see into that field because it was full of trees I couldn't see because I turned them off).

This game is a game of momentum. The laws of inertia are at play most of the time. For me there is a big thrill, similar to CMBO, when/if I manage to get the flow of the battle to go in my direction.

EDIT: one last thing, when I started playing CMSF I felt pretty confused by 1:1 infantry, not knowing who was shooting at whom. For me the confusion went away with exposure, of course, in the Syrian desert there weren't so many #$%$%$%^^ trees!

Ahh but that loss of control is one of the reasons I play Wego. To some degree it allows me to pretend I am not the total God commander, more like the God commander who only gets to bother my pixeltruppen once every 60 seconds.

I recall a recent comment by a CM:BN player who had never touched CMx1. He wanted to see what this 'ideal game' was all about so downloaded a CMx1 demo and found it to be practically unplayable. CMx1 diehards remind me of vinyl record die-hards. Vinyl has a certain romance the newer formats don't, vinyl is how they first fell in love with music, and according to them the scratching, hissing and popping of the needle in the groove only enhances the sound quality. And there's nothing you can say to convince them otherwise. I suppose ASL die-hards would been like reel-to-reel fanatics.

I have already been a supporter of BFC for the last ten years. You come across like you have not tried the first CM series and have just jumped on board with the new engine (beta tester i see). Because against a human opponent in CMx1 and in some well designed AI opponent scenarios, what you just described happens in a CMx1 game as well. Relative spotting aside.

What I really am looking forward to the most is seeing what CMx3 has in store for us! A UI revamp would be the first thing on my list of things I'd love to have. I'll be here with BFC for years to come (hopefully), so it's just a matter of time.

Funny, i did not hide under the table once i hit the go button when i tried realtime. I prefer WEGO to realtime, it has nothing to do with being "afraid".

I don't think you have to defend CMBN, it is a very good sim.

For some people, this includes me obviously, i happen to like the old CM engine as well still. Nothing wrong with that.

For me this has nothing to do with the CMBN being to hard. I do like CMBN, i am just not "hooked" by it yet like i am with the CMx1 series. I am sure i will be down the road when everything is available.

I am giving CMBN v1.01 a test drive this weekend, should be fun.

Cheers.

I really like CMBN. I have no problems at all with the interface and I don't understand what those who do have problems with it are doing. But I am not having as much fun with CMBN as I did with CMx1. I think it simply comes down to the fact that CMBN is more challenging, which I think is a combination of 1:1 modelling - which means I am more aware of my losses, and that the AI is so much better - especially its effective use of arty. I find myself getting discouraged too easily. I also miss the simplicity of CMx1's quick battles. I am still struggling a bit with the force selection. I tried a few QBs under 1.01 and the automatic force selection is unsatisfying. I will continue to play CMBN for years to come, and I look forward to the modules to flesh out the forces, but I am not having as much fun as I did in CMx1. I hope that will change over time as I become more familiar with and get used to it.

I am enjoying it, despite a few problems here and there. I have complained, loudly a few times, but this doesn't mean I don't enjoy the game as it is . . . and I look forward to it getting better with time.

Do I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the CMX:1 series? Yes and no.

No, because it is not as expansive, and thus, not quite as immersive as those games (yet) and no, because it is not as much of a "new thing". Those games were revolutionary. Perhaps I'm/we're a little jaded in the 21st Century. Maybe we expect too much. Nevertheless, I don't feel as much "in control" with CM:BN as I was with CMX:1. The tension of the battle is not quite what it was with CMX:1 (the target-line argument plays into this in a big way . . . not that I miss target lines . . . more on this in a moment).

Yes, I am enjoying it . . . for most of the same reasons that I enjoyed the old games.

The biggest thing that allowed me to get "over" the old games and learn to enjoy the new is that I approached it AS A NEW GAME ALTOGETHER. At first, this was difficult. At times, it still is . . . when I wish for something that I had in CMX:1, or when I expect the game to behave like CMX:1 did . . . but I'm able to move past these things by focusing on the fact that this is a new engine. Now, when I play this game it remiiiinds me of CMX:1. In a good way. It feels like CMX:1, only different. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Actually, it's a good thing, because this is a good game. It has room to grow, and I'm confident that it will, just as CMX:1 did.

I stopped trying to cram CMX:1 in the CM:BN box.

The game has grown on me. Sure, I still bitch and bitch and bitch . . . but I also find myself playing the damned thing until wayyyy past my bedtime. This HAS to be a good thing. I wouldn't do it if it wasn't. Yeah, I bitch about things, but like we used to say in the Marines "a bitching Marine is a happy Marine". I wouldn't complain if I didn't care.

I was skeptical about the lack of command lines . . . and I'd still like to have them as an option. However, I've learned to live without them pretty well. The fact that you can click on any squad and it's HQ and attendant squads will light up is a pretty easy way for me to tell who's where. Just look at the interface to see if they're in command or not (or don't move them too far away from each other in the first place, you should know better).

I haven't had much, if any, problems with the interface. At first I expected it to act like CMX:1. Naturally. Eventually I got used to it. Works fine, far as I'm concerned. I would like more information as to cover, terrain type, perhaps a turn timer/battle timer and a few extra movment options & targeting arcs . . . but I'm happy with it, for the most part. (We DO need moveable waypoints though.)

I play WEGO. I don't give a damn about RT.

I don't miss the target lines, because I understand the reason why they no longer exist. I do miss the tension that the lines added to the CMX:1 series . . . but the fact is, I believe CM:BN is more accurate/realistic in this regard. The tension is still there . . . you just don't know exactly where it's coming from. I guess I could see adding target lines back to a tank's main gun, but I doubt if that'll ever happen. Frankly, I think there are more important things for the game designers to think about . . . but if it adds enjoyment & suspense & thus increases sales, well . . . I guess it's a worthwhile endeavour.

Anyway, this is one of the rare games where the developers actually interact with the players on a daily basis. We should all appreciate that, and I think we do. This can only be a good thing for the future of the franchise.

(What will really determine whether I enjoy this game as much as the CMX:1 series will be they way it plays against a human via PBEM. I have yet to give that a try. Will do, after I play the campaigns and get a real feel for how it all works. I played CMX:1 via PBEM right up until about six months ago. I havent played CMX:1 single player since . . . 2004.)

I have so much trouble controlling my map views in WeGo, I couldn't possibly play real-time. With more than four or five active units, I'd have a nervous breakdown trying to conduct a battle.

Our experience with players like you, going back to CM:SF, is that there's something you're doing that's nuking your ability to play with the ease the rest of us enjoy. I'm not saying you're doing something "wrong", in an absolute sense, just something "counter productive" to the goals of easy camera control. I mean, just ask yourself... how is it that some people can play, and win, the same scenario in RT that you're struggling with in WeGo? Either something is tripping you up, or those of us who can do better in RT are Godlike and should be worshiped on a regular basis. With tributes to our greatness and what not (no virgins though, our wives would NOT appreciate it ;)).

Seriously, there's no physical way someone can play in RT and win if the UI itself is so bad. I'm not saying it's perfect (it isn't), but if it is functional enough for successful RT play then WeGoers shouldn't be struggling.

My advice is to start up a new thread and ask for some help with figuring out what you're doing or not doing that's getting in the way. For some it's key related, some it's mouse related. Often it has something to do with a CMx1 habit that doesn't work the same way in CMx2. If we can figure out what that is I'm sure you'll have a completely different game experience.

Steve