Is there a trick to get the patch to install on a Mac?

OKay - I selected the exact folder and it appears to have upgraded it.

I got confused because it still says 1.0 on the application itself - which is odd.

...and it's just crashed. The crash log says version 1.0 (1) - does this mean 1.01?

If the bottom of the main screen says 1.01 then the upgrade has worked. If it says 1.0 then try selecting the folder using the "I have multiple copies of the game" instructions. If that doesn't work we may need to try a different update method - please file a ticket with helpdesk.

Due to the way that Apple's installer software works... permissions and search rules can make patching an application an interesting process.

In the Finder, the application is self-identifying itself as 1.0 still, but when you launch the game, it shows up as 1.0.1. Since the Finder/System thinks it is 1.0, that is what any system reports will show.

It is basically a cosmetic problem, I think, but there is probably something that should be in the installer to change how the application IDs itself.

The installer updates the application's internal ID on OSX for upgrade purposes. If the app is still identifying itself as 1.0, though, it's not critical but it is something we'll fix.

The installer updates the application's internal ID on OSX for upgrade purposes. If the app is still identifying itself as 1.0, though, it's not critical but it is something we'll fix.

With me, when I ran the installer, it reported that it was successful. But when I open the game, it says v1.00 on the bottom of the first page. If I go to the app in Finder and click Info, it also says v1.00. Anything I can or should do about this? I haven't tried running it yet, if I run into any problems with that will have a further report.

Michael

With me, when I ran the installer, it reported that it was successful. But when I open the game, it says v1.00 on the bottom of the first page. If I go to the app in Finder and click Info, it also says v1.00. Anything I can or should do about this? I haven't tried running it yet, if I run into any problems with that will have a further report.

Michael

If the game's intro screen says "1.01" then the install was successful. If the first run with the default installer is unsuccessful, use the instructions for multiple installations - choose the patch's target folder and install it that way. The default installer is much more a subject to the whims of OSX.

If the game's intro screen says "1.01" then the install was successful.

It doesn't.

If the first run with the default installer is unsuccessful, use the instructions for multiple installations - choose the patch's target folder and install it that way. The default installer is much more a subject to the whims of OSX.

I did. The problem is that CMBN is not a folder, so I can't select it. There are seven sub-folders associated with it, and I was able to install the 1.01 ReadMe and manual errata into the documents sub-folder. But nothing touches the game file itself. I can't select it because it is not a folder and I can't move it into one of its sub-folders.

It seems that the installer does not recognize the app itself.

Michael

I did. The problem is that CMBN is not a folder, so I can't select it. There are seven sub-folders associated with it, and I was able to install the 1.01 ReadMe and manual errata into the documents sub-folder. But nothing touches the game file itself. I can't select it because it is not a folder and I can't move it into one of its sub-folders.

It seems that the installer does not recognize the app itself.

Michael

CMBN's folder is the folder the application is in. This is by default "CM Battle for Normandy". It contains the app and the Documents folder.

If you're choosing your install location then the installer doesn't have to recognize the app - it simply updates whatever is in the folder. The default installation (without choosing a location) does need to "recognize" the app itself, which is where some problems come in. So - it doesn't sound like a recognition problem.

It's possible that the app can't be updated due to permissions. If you run the installer again, pull down Installer's Window menu and select "Installer Log". This will bring up a window that shows you OSX's install log for that particular run. Before you close the installer just copy and paste the contents of that and send it to me. That'll tell us what's going on with your installation.

CMBN's folder is the folder the application is in. This is by default "CM Battle for Normandy". It contains the app and the Documents folder.

The app is in a folder that I created called "Strat Games". In addition to CM, it has other games in it. In addition to CM, it also has a folder called CM Battle for Normandy game files". That is the sub-folder that I cannot move the app into.

I am going to try creating a folder called "CM Battle for Normandy" and see if I can move everything into that, and if then the installer will recognize it and do its job.

Be back in ten.

Michael

Thanks Michael. It looks like the installer log got truncated - seems that sometimes Installer doesn't want to write out the whole log until you click Close, which doesn't help us grab it easily. If you could try that again, run all the way through the installer, and grab the log before you hit Close, maybe we'll get the full log.

1) So you've moved the app and Documents folder into a new folder called "CM Battle for Normandy", right? And you tried installing there via choosing the folder?

2) What did you mean by the app having seven sub-folders associated with it?

Thanks Michael. It looks like the installer log got truncated - seems that sometimes Installer doesn't want to write out the whole log until you click Close, which doesn't help us grab it easily. If you could try that again, run all the way through the installer, and grab the log before you hit Close, maybe we'll get the full log.

You can access the installation log anytime by starting "system profiler", then select Software => Logs. There you'll find the install.log - you just have to select the relevant section of the logfile.

You can access the installation log anytime by starting "system profiler", then select Software => Logs. There you'll find the install.log - you just have to select the relevant section of the logfile.

I decided to go with this suggestion as in practice it seemed the easiest. Phil, log has been sent to you in two PMs (it wouldn't all fit in one).

Good luck and good hunting. My thanks to you for your efforts.

Michael

Thanks Michael. Hmm - did you run the installer all the way to the end?

Have you renamed the application, by any chance? That shouldn't matter, as Apple's installer looks for the app signature and not the filename, but it might.