H2H Helper - an app that helps with PBEM/H2H play

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a posting that explains what all the icons mean under "other info"?

Perhaps my question wasn't sufficiently detailed enough, I'll try w/o posting a picture of the screen of H2H to describe what I'm seeing under "other info".

In the current game I'm playing I see the following icons:

1. one of drop box (it's my turn, so it seems plausible this is to inform me I have a turn, I guess)

2. the H2H icon itself, which you can right click on for some options (but then you can do that to all three icons I have under this menu heading)

3. a circle with an exclamation point in it

I think I found out Jeff. In the h2h helper file folder there is a file called images and if you change the view to large icons it shows what they are. No big explanation found...

blue circle with blue "!" is "turn windows", I guess it means it is your turn and you're playing on windows version, i.e., eat your breakfast and send me a turn Jeff!!!!

Very good. And your English is far superior to my French and totally understandable.

If I were to make any criticism, and I am being picky, is that why people should use H2H should be up-front and make them want to watch a longish video. So that might mean starting off with:

"H2H is really great and loved by the CM PBEM community as it really makes easy opening up new turns and keeping track of all your battles"

It is quite long as it is thorough, and I wonder if you scripted it and the key pressing it would actually be 5 minutes shorter. Just a thought. I am impressed that you have done it and it delivered the goods.

I was in on the original testing but have not used it [unfortunately] for about 12 months. So I have probably a slightly biased viewpoint : )

You're probably right, most of the youtube users don't watch more than a few secs of a video and here this is quite dull in appearance.

I did it "on the fly", just keeping the script I made for the French version but it is true that it is still a little bit long. As I didn't want to miss any piece of information I think I went too far.

Anymay, I hope it'll help people who still can't (or don't want to) use H2HH.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you very much GaJ. Only recently made the leap from AI to PBEM. I really love H2HH and seeing those games stacked up. Your hard work (and others...) making all the fun so effortless. Please accept my humble donation and enjoy lunch on me. I know it is enough for a SUBWAY footlong, chips, fountain drink, HEY!! even add the avocado. You deserve it.

Uhh, hope they have Subway in Australia. :)

Making a game system easy to use - anticipating what players would like outside of the graphics and AI - I think is very important for the overall package. In some ways I am peeved that that it has taken outsiders to provide these added functionalities such as repositories for mods and scenarios, Hare's Spreadsheets, and player aids such as PBEMHelper and H2HHelper.

Granted that Battlefront is a small company with limited resources but thinking into the future may have meant that they addressed the H2H side of playing when CMx2 first come out by perhaps outlining what was needed and offering a free copy of CMSF or whatever. It was only when CMx2 reached the WW2 stage that PBEM players such as those at the Band Of Brothers WW2 club realised that the much beloved and used PBEMHelper was not going to work and something else was needed. Hence GAJ's work was born . And of course he had already set up a Repository for CMX2 stuff.

Its good when games are supported by hobbyists and some really do outstanding stuff.

I am sure their are a lot of beta-testers for BF who really do not get the kudos they deserve - but then they are on the inside with a veil of secrecy drawn over what can be a very tedious process. I was considering doing an online revision of the manual and explaining what really happens at the open site mentioned in my sig but given I have not the time I decided to give it a miss.

kohlenklau I am glad that you are upfront with what you have done - I being Britsh - cannot possibly be so open : )

I used to donate blood all the time. They'd give you some stupid sticker for your shirt that I would take off. I went for the free juice and cookies and the hot medical chicks. ;)

But then I lived in Italy from 1999-2002 and 2005-2007 and now they don't want my blood anymore due to a fear of mad cow. Not even for testing and experiments.

My point is I donated and posted that I donated because maybe folks need to see that someone DOES donate and every little bit helps these fellas. I didn't do it to be upfront and braggy about myself. I'm a bloody slacker! I'm the first to admit it. Off to the liquor store here shortly, anything I can fetch for anyone?