H2H Helper - an app that helps with PBEM/H2H play

I only play H2H. I found various aspects of this to be a pain. Copying files around from here to there depending how you received them, remembering who's turn it is, forever pruning the files in Incoming so the list in the game menu is manageable etc.

So I've been tinkering away with an app I've called H2H Helper. A few fine folk at We Band Of Brothers have been helping with testing.

H2HH.jpg

* It tells you who's turn it is (So what?... You'll be amazed how handy that can be!)

* It can tidy up your "Incoming Email" and "Outgoing Email" folders...

.... so when you go to the "Saved Game" screen, you have only one file per game showing

* It can keep all your game files, per game, saved nicely in a folder someplace else you choose

* It can handle all the copying in and out of files...... if you use DropBox, or some other means to receive files:

- it sees when you received a file and copies it into Incoming Email for you

- it sees when you finished a turn, and copies the file out from Outgoing Email into the shared folder

It can do all this either when you tell it, or automatically (watching behind the scenes when things change)

If you want, you can start up H2HH and never have to touch it again: your files magically go where they need to - perfect if you have a shared folder system like DropBox.

It's a shame it can't start up the game and enter your password for you, like the old PBEMH used to do: I haven't heard back from BFC on the small support (command line option) that this would need.

Anyhow, I wrote some doco: http://gregories.net/h2hh/H2H%20Helper.html

At the moment updates are moderately frequent - both adding features and tweaking out bugs, so I'm distributing it via DropBox shared folder.

Drop me a line if you'd like access.

GaJ

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like a way choose files to add to an ignore list for H2H helper. So they don't appear in the active PBEM list. Since I like to archive older the final AAR PBEM files, usually adding "AAR" to the file name for trips down memory lane. Or is this already possible, might be missing something?

The way it's intended to work is that only ACTIVE games will have game files in Incoming/Outgoing folders.

H2HH assumes that you will use _it_ to archive the old game files, in the "Game File Folder" (aka DropBox folder), as described in the section called "I like having my Incoming and Outgoing Email folders tidy, but I want to save my game files, not delete them" in the doco.

So ... if you are using H2HH to save old game files, then all that you need to do is delete all game files for finished games from Incoming/Outgoing folders, and the game will no longer appear in the H2HH list, and all the old files will remain for posterity in the place that you asked H2HH to put them (the "Game File Folder")

If you aren't using H2HH to save the old files, and aren't using H2HH to keep Incoming and Outgoing folders tidy, then ... H2HH is always going to think all those game files that you leave lying around are "active" :) But I can't imagine why you would do that :)

GaJ

Hey - thanks! It's nice to know when it's working for folk. Lots of people have it now, I only have one outstanding bug report, something wierd for one person.

I can't resist posting this screeny of the coming up things: internationalisation and chat.

H2HH.jpg

Nearly ready for folk to try this, too...

GaJ

The way it's intended to work is that only ACTIVE games will have game files in Incoming/Outgoing folders.

H2HH assumes that you will use _it_ to archive the old game files, in the "Game File Folder" (aka DropBox folder), as described in the section called "I like having my Incoming and Outgoing Email folders tidy, but I want to save my game files, not delete them" in the doco.

So ... if you are using H2HH to save old game files, then all that you need to do is delete all game files for finished games from Incoming/Outgoing folders, and the game will no longer appear in the H2HH list, and all the old files will remain for posterity in the place that you asked H2HH to put them (the "Game File Folder")

If you aren't using H2HH to save the old files, and aren't using H2HH to keep Incoming and Outgoing folders tidy, then ... H2HH is always going to think all those game files that you leave lying around are "active" :) But I can't imagine why you would do that :)

GaJ

Ok I moved my AAR files into the CMBN installed path of saved games. I prefer to store them there rather than the Dropbox folder. Thanks for the help.